Search results

1. Dogen

channels volume imbalance

I too am very sensitive to channel imbalance. But it’s a hard goal to reach. Recordings often aren’t balanced, and chances are our ears are a bit off balance.
  2. Dogen

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

Respect to Ascend for such great performance for a reasonable price.
  3. Dogen

AMP or DAC for new TV

Does your new TV have a headphone jack? If so, you can use an adapter cable to send the sound to your amp. Bonus, its volume controlled.
  4. Dogen

A Call For Humor!

You might have seen in in Mad, but the origin is the great Firesign Theater, from “Don’t Crush that Dwarf…”.
  5. Dogen

A Call For Humor!

I live a mile from this. It’s pretty cool…the door becomes opaque when occupied.
  6. Dogen

Play multichannel FLAC files on my AVR

Thought I’d check in and say, I’ve solved the issue. I’m using Plex to stream multichannel files through my Apple TV 4k to my Denon receiver. It’s gapless and works very well.
  7. Dogen

A Call For Humor!

Not if you follow the rule for multiplication first, then addition.
  8. Dogen

is there music you can hit PLAY on track 1 and just let it roll?

Max Richter’s 8-hour “ambient classical” recording “Sleep.” It’s written to be played all night, and supposedly is aligned with the stages of sleep. Spotify and Apple Music.
  9. Dogen

Marantz Cinema 70s AVR Review

Just sloppy and sad to see from a company with such a heritage. Better call Saul…
  10. Dogen

What streaming service do you use?

I’m using Apple Music, often from my Apple TV through my HT system. The Dolby Atmos surround often sounds awesome, and it seamlessly integrates my local music files.
  11. Dogen

Why do some tracks sound more “surround” when upmixed?

Hi folks! I’ve been experimenting with using Dolby Surround to upmix stereo music during playback. Some stereo tracks decode with very discrete surround channels, others have almost nothing in the surrounds. What makes a stereo mix yield active surrounds? Are there mixing decisions around phase...
  12. Dogen

Thank you…this is very helpful
  13. Dogen

Thanks for that! Nice unit. I was hoping to spend less though. I’ve seen some reports that the Sony X800-M2 BluRay player works — any experience with this?
  14. Dogen

Hi folks! I’m putting together a little 5.1 system in our bedroom, and would like to be able to play multichannel FLAC files on a hard drive through my Denon s760h AVR. I do this easily in my main system with an Oppo BluRay player, using usb from the drive to the Oppo and HDMI out to the AVR...
  15. Dogen

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Great review! Stunning we can get this performance from something so inexpensive and compact. Looking forward to their future projects. Some of the Chinese brand names are fascinating, being basically unpronounceable to speakers of many languages (e.g., Loxjie etc.). I wonder if the Chinese...
  16. Dogen

Apple Music LosslessSwitcher app for Mac

When they say a few seconds “interruptions” in music playback, does that mean gapless playback doesn’t happen? That would drive me crazy.
  17. Dogen

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

These devices can be fun… long ago I sometimes used a Dynaco QD-1 and enjoyed it.
  18. Dogen

SVS PB-1000 Pro or SB-1000 Pro Subwoofer for small room?

I ended up getting the SB-1000 on clearance, for the slightly smaller size, and I couldn’t be happier with it. Yes, it’s hard to integrate a single sub in a small room, but I have it optimized for my most frequent position. For now, I’m using the sub’s 80 Hz high-pass filter to my amp and main...
  19. Dogen

New Schiit SYN - Analog Surround Sound Processor

Really interesting, I sort of want one to play with. But instead of “low pass sub outputs” wouldn’t high pass mains output be more useful? Most every sub has built-in and adjustable low pass filters. The need is to have the option of shifting the bass to the subwoofer and high passing the main...
  20. Dogen

Converting a speaker to active

Yeah, that’s the way I’d go, if your goal is to keeps costs down and get the best sound quality. Plus, you usually get DSP, which you say you don’t need, but you’d have that option if you want to use them somewhere else or refine the sound. But it sounds like a fun project…so go for it and let...
Top Bottom