Search results

1. invaderzim

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

Dismissing the problem as a non-issue does no favors for those shopping for it. Humor or not I feel it is beneficial to have people go in with their eyes open. It was recommended based on its performance and its optical in/optical out performance tested quite well. The problem is in the real...
  2. invaderzim

it seems pretty odd to compare what we had available in the 70s for music reproduction to a current add-on component, that is designed to improve the sound, to defend it in an age of nearly perfect music reproduction. Especially on a site that is so down on companies that don't chase...
  3. invaderzim

That is a very good summary of it. I thought for awhile I could live with the between track noises on mine and did listen to it for hours like that but there got to be too many times where it was startling and that just reduced the enjoyment of listening to the music.
  4. invaderzim

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

While I do agree I think a lot of audio items are priced for the crowd that doesn't think that is a lot to spend for anything.
  5. invaderzim

Review and Measurements of Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier

I guess it depends on the definition of 'audiophile'. If it is being spread to include 'high end' then yes a case cut from a single billet of aluminum is high end. I don't know that it contributes much to the audio of the component though which is why there might be the question of what makes...
  6. invaderzim

A Short History of High-End Audio Cables

That is because of the infinite cable upgrade loop: 1. Read a review where someone says a cable did amazing things and now their system sounds so much better than they ever imagined it could. 2. Wish your system sounded as good as theirs. 3. Buy the same cable they used. 4. Be blown away by...
  7. invaderzim

8k vs 4k and Upscaling: Is 8k Worth the Upgrade? – RTINGS.com

I agree with the above. Unfortunately, as is so often the case, the bigger number often looks better to the masses. They don't care about actual picture quality or how the colors look; just if it has a bigger resolution number. I'm in the process of trying to replace our plasma TV that is...
  8. invaderzim

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

That looks really interesting. On my current setup I don't have a subwoofer out (or even a pre-out) so I use speaker level inputs on the subwoofer. Although I could run those into a conversion to drop them to line level and then into the 8033 (I see they even sell adpaters for that). The...
  9. invaderzim

Pros & Cons of Tower / Bookshelf Speakers?

Adding a subwoofer to bookshelf speakers always sounds like it is so easy but the reality is quite different. I fought mine for a couple of years and just recently tried REW. Finally it is starting to sound more right after moving the sub and adjusting it way beyond where I ever tried just by...
  10. invaderzim

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

Forgive my ignorance but how is that not completely terrible? I just can't see adding that to my signal path. When we attack anything with second harmonics as being terribly noisy how do we accept a sine wave like this? The PW-Link got me somewhat hooked on room correction but I just can't...
  11. invaderzim

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

It seems like it would be a great time to be speaker shopping.
  12. invaderzim

That is the first thing that made it more difficult to tell which tracks caused an issue. When I first connected the new PW-Link I thought it was all better because I wasn't hearing anything but I was listening to styles of music that start out very quiet. At this point I just used the...
  13. invaderzim

Very Nice Cheap Kit Speakers: HiVi/Swans DIY 2.2A & 3.1

Am I the only one that ends up at a site that tries to load bad stuff on my computer when I click on the 2nd link in the first post?
  14. invaderzim

I couldn't find any patterns to the sampling rate and bit depth, the only difference I found is the tracks that were downloaded were much less likely to have any noise compared to tracks ripped from disks. I also tried the analog in/out connection and I got a distorted sound like the volume was...
  15. invaderzim

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

Why can't there be both? Why do people all have to enjoy the same thing? I really enjoy my SE tube amp but I have never said to a solid state fan that they are missing out on anything by not listening to a well made tube amp or that they are ridiculous for not trying it but the opposite is a...
  16. invaderzim

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

I'm fine with people listening to whatever they like. If they feel that fancy cables improved the sound of their system then by all means they should enjoy it. If he had just said "I prefer the Vidar to the Benchmark amp" then more power to him. But what he did was resoundingly endorsed and...
  17. invaderzim

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

I thought that was a joke, but I guess it is serious or as serious as that review can be with pretty much every buzzword ever seen in an audio review. All I can say is Plankton doesn't look happy about it There is a good argument for the live and let live attitude but at the same time it...
  18. invaderzim

What do I use to see those details for the file. File explorer will show bit rate but I don't see anything else there. The ones that weren't doing it yesterday were all higher bit rate ones but that might just be a coincidence. *** Update *** it looks like VLC will show me file details...
  19. invaderzim

I've found specific songs that it does the noise on and others that it doesn't. So far the ones it doesn't make the noise on that I've found were purchased as hi-res Flac files and the ones it does tend to be ones I've ripped from CDs. When I had the original one I hooked it up to a disk...
Top Bottom