Search results

1. Capitol C

Speaker cable advice

Agreed. Go with 14 gauge and make it lamp Not only would 14 gauge be fine, it would be easier to use and much cheaper. Put your money where it would do some good!
  2. Capitol C

Audio Engineering Society Paper and Help?

Amir, I've written quite a few papers that have appeared in the physics literature (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=M9VpMCMAAAAJ&hl=en). I think I could help with "how to put together a paper so that people will read beyond the abstract" , editing, dealing with referees without having...
  3. Capitol C

Tube-based video display

What happens is that when one of the digits is lighted, material from the digit "sputters" off and coats the other digits and the inside of the glass envelope. This extra material is crappy, and adds a layer of resistance to the digits where it collects. Sometimes it can be removed by running...
  4. Capitol C

Tube-based video display

Did you try any of the cathode poisoning cures?
  5. Capitol C

Tube-based video display

Yes, unfortunately that requires a different board, 160 V vs 5 V driver. I did swap the single white LED provided for a pair of orange LEDs to make a color matched colon instead of a white decimal point. So I have a hybrid display! Also, by eye the color match is much better than the camera.
  6. Capitol C

Tube-based video display

Those are cool, too. A guy down the hall from me has one. The question is, can it duplicate the Nixie signature with DSP, or are the tube purists right?
  7. Capitol C

Tube-based video display

I recently put together a Nixie-tube clock kit that I bought a long time ago and didn't get around to. I'll have a more detailed review, including measurements, soon, but I can supply some initial impressions. Compared to LED and LCD clocks, the Nixie-tube clock is warmer, with smoother upper...
  8. Capitol C

Extreme Snake Oil

As far as I know, no. I met Randi when I invited him to give a talk--a physics colloquium, of all things. He was a remarkable man, and having a chance to talk with him in my lab, and at dinner after his talk, was a high point for me. You can see my testimonial to him here...
  9. Capitol C

Extreme Snake Oil

Do you think Walker believed his stuff was real? James Randi said that many of the dowsers, ESPers, etc., believed in what they said and were shocked when they couldn't win his famous prize.
  10. Capitol C

What do you guys think of the newly released Nobsound E6?

As a physics professor, boy, I've heard that phrase from students...
  11. Capitol C

What do you guys think of the newly released Nobsound E6?

The demonization of feedback is very amusing, and very unfortunate. The measurements are unequivocal, and the math can be followed by a person who remembers high-school algebra,
  12. Capitol C

A millennial's rant on classical music

In the end, that's what makes horse races.
  13. Capitol C

Ding-Dong Audio

How could he apply those coatings without using a respirator? The video must be a deep fake.
  14. Capitol C

Ding-Dong Audio

Surely he is not serious?
  15. Capitol C

Why do humans like jazz?

By the way, the video was excellent. I cringe whenever I hear someone mention entropy, but in this case, Physics for the Birds knows his physics and his information theory.
  16. Capitol C

Why do humans like jazz?

From a brief look at the internet, it appears that jazz is only slightly ahead of classical in popularity--if one is out of favor, arguably the other is. More to the point, perhaps, is why more complex musical forms are enjoyed by such a small fraction of people? I have a possible explanation...
  17. Capitol C

I can't tell a difference between 4 phono preamps

As long as you are on this track, why not go really cheap...
  18. Capitol C

How much is too much spare change?

There is nothing wrong with having power to spare so that the occasional loud section (think a loud bass drum) can be handled with minimal amplifier distortion. Switching to a lower-power amp is not likely to improve the sound.
  19. Capitol C

My cable length and thickness worries me

I just did the calculation by hand, assuming 262 feet of 14 AWG wire, which has a resistance of 0.662 ohms. If the amplifier is an ideal voltage source, the power lost comes out to be close to 19%. I might have made a mistake, but to get 50% power loss would require something like 2.5 ohms in...
Top Bottom