Search results

1. voltronic

3-Body Problem

Just finished today. I had not read the books, but I mostly enjoyed the series. The only thing that grated on me was the music. Within 10 seconds of the opening titles, I could tell that Weiss and Benioff once again used Ramin Djawadi, who is one of the laziest composers out there in terms of...
  2. voltronic

Recommend tall non-adjustable monitor stand

I think I found a good option. These are adjustable, but support a lot of weight so they must be pretty solid. Reviews on other sellers are very positive, but they seem to be cheapest direct from the manufacturer. https://www.cotytech.com/speaker-stand-for-large-size-height-adjustable-sp-os10
  3. voltronic

I had looked at those, but way more than I'd like to spend.
  4. voltronic

Thanks, but everything you are pointing me towards is for the visual kind of monitors. That's not what I'm looking for.
  5. voltronic

I recently upgraded to a pair of Kali IN-5, and my adjustable On-Stage stands are no longer cutting it. The status wobble with the larger monitors on them, and the bass response is revealing how resonant they are. When listening to pipe organ music at louder levels, the safety pins buzz all over...
  6. voltronic

Dayton Audio EMM-6 as good as UMIK-1 for someone who already has an audio interface?

No; I'm pretty new to using measurement mics, even though I have decent experience with recording mics. I bought the EMM-6 because it didn't seem to make sense to buy a UMIK when I have a perfectly good MOTU M2 interface.
  7. voltronic

Kali SM-5-C Project Santa Monica 3 way passive monitor announced

What are your thoughts on its performance compared to their powered monitors, if you have been able to compare? I just got a pair of IN-5 and I'm very happy with them so far, particularly after REQ.
  8. voltronic

Dayton Audio EMM-6 as good as UMIK-1 for someone who already has an audio interface?

That's not surprising. Even if the housing wasn't so similar, there are not that many mic companies who make their own capsules. That's true for any type of microphones. Two companies I know of that make high-end measurement capsules are Brüel & Kjaer and Microtech Gefell, and those are orders...
  9. voltronic

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Dayton EMM-6 Kali IN-5
  10. voltronic

Kali IN-5 Studio Monitor Review

The broad cut around 150 Hz is addressing the mid bass hump in my room response, which I mentioned earlier. Maybe your mid bass issue is similar which is why it sounds good to you, but I would definitely run your own measurements and corrections rather than apply ones specific to my setup. The...
  11. voltronic

No sub, and for the music I record I don't think I'll ever need one with these monitors. I had thought Julian's recommendation of using "bass limited speaker" when generating EQ curves was to protect against a bass boost being added, and possibly increase distortion with small woofers. But I do...
  12. voltronic

My IN-5's arrived today and I have been rocking with them the last few hours. WOW these things punch so far above their (price) weight! Mind you, I was replacing a very old set of KRK Rokit RP5 G2, so I only could go up! I just finished putting them through their paces with REW because I needed...
  13. voltronic

They do not, but the custom calibrated ones sold by Cross Spectrum Labs (linked earlier by StaticV3) include 45 and 90 degree files. https://www.cross-spectrum.com/index.html The question is, are those off-axis calibration files really needed? If you are measuring with the mic pointing straight...
  14. voltronic

I can't speak to the accuracy of its calibration, but I bought an EMM-6 recently and the results I've gotten using it with REW have been very good.
  15. voltronic

Monitor Correction: Start with DIPs flat?

Thanks. That thought had crossed my mind, but I wasn't sure.
  16. voltronic

Monitor Correction: Start with DIPs flat?

I have a pair of Kali IN-5 arriving next week, and plan to use REW / EAPO to measure and correct them as I have done with my current KRKs. The IN-5 has a set of DIP switches to adjust built-in EQ settings for different placements. My monitors will be on stands, but within 0.5 m of the wall...
  17. voltronic

Share your favorite free (or low cost) tweaks!

Can I ask where you bought your 703 panels? I have looked at several different sellers and they all have exorbitant shipping rates.
  18. voltronic

Thanks for linking those posts. I've used Caig products for years and never heard these concerns before. I'm not quite convinced to toss my D100 right now, but I'll keep an eye on my connectors.
  19. voltronic

Caig Deoxit. Put it on every single connection as a preventative measure, and restore dirty or intermittent connector surfaces. I prefer the needle or brush applicator bottles of 100% solution, so you're not paying for propellant. https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/
Top Bottom