Search results

1. anphex

ANC headphones are becoming worse or are at least stagnating since 8 years (proof(?) inside)

Bose. Sony. Focal. Sennheiser. All of them are basically the quaternity of reasonable ANC headphones with good noise reduction and sound quality. But due to some semi necessary research for new, and better, headphones from my Bose QC 35 Gen1 and skimming through all ASR, Crinnacle and Rtings...
  2. anphex

Fixing insufficient DAC filter roll off frequency with digital EQ?

Greetings everyone, since even in high end DACs we usually see the stock rolloff filter hitting it's full attenuation at only 24Khz @ 44,1Khz, which is by definition of Nyquist a little too much. Now, could I theoretically fix this by just doing this: (Tiefpassfilter = low pass filter)...
  3. anphex

[Solved] This one weird issue with Equalizer APO 1.2.1 and Big.Little CPUs

Edit: Pops, clicks and distortion solved. Look at the 3rd edit of this post Hello everyone, I recently upgraded my home audio system and wanted to share my experience, hoping it might help others facing similar issues. The Upgrade: I've set up a new surround sound system using my existing...
  4. anphex

Denon X3700H "sounds better" on 48Khz instead of 44,1 Khz - how to verify?

Greetings everyone, I don't know what is going on here but upon switching the sample rate of my PC that is connected via HDMI 2.1 to my Denon 3700X AVR to 48 Khz from 44,1Khz it has a rise in clarity. I am super wary of placebo, so how do I verify this difference? I have an Interface an...
  5. anphex

Selling Topping LA90D in Europe (2 available)

Hey folks, I am selling my almost new Topping LA90D since I just can't seem to fit them into my setup reasonably. It's back to AVR for me - for now. So my loss might be your gain. They are a little more than a month old and have more than 1,5 years of warranty left. They are working perfectly...
  6. anphex

When are you too deep down the rabbit hole?

I've been reading along here at Audio Science Review for a few years now and have used Amir's measurements to buy just about every piece of electrical equipment in my signal chain. With an SMSL SU-9N, a Topping PA5 and now a Topping LA90D, I was pretty much at the physical limit of what is...
  7. anphex

[Poll] What is your experience with the reliability of the Topping LA90D?

Hi! Since some ongoing discussion in this thread I wanted to create a poll where people could vote and then share their experiences. I have two LA90D in monoblock configuration, figuring these would be the last amps I'd ever need in my lifetime if vented well. Because of the above mentioned...
  8. anphex

Building own AVR with FPGA?

Greetings everyone! Looking at the current state of AVR processors and receivers, it's kind of meh. Well, for the price they're mostly alright (Hi Denon ;)) but in almost all cases something is amiss. The propietary room calibrations are expensive, the stock variants rarely are optimal and...
  9. anphex

Question about "fixing" a potentially non-ideal d'appolito arrangement

Hey everyone, have a look at the attached picture. These are my speakers and I love them. BUT in my opinion they have a flaw in the d'appolito design considering the BMR-Tweeter-BMR arrangement. The distance of those BMR from each other around the tweeter center-to-center is 23cm. This would...
  10. anphex

Is there any reason to still be looking out for strict linearity nowadays?

I believe with the current consumer technology you can spend a little money for measurement equipment to get about any speaker to a ruler flat response on your desired listening position. After thinking a while, the following ones are the crucial characteristics to look out for in my opinion: -...
  11. anphex

Why are Dolby and DTS a thing?

What made it so that those two companies have the oligopoly for almost all movie audio licenses? How did they win against simple PCM, MP3, FLAC, OGG, AC3? Couldn't all movies just swap to FLAC or OGG in ditch all those license fees, decoding issues, compatibility troubles? Or is there a...
  12. anphex

Swapping my tweeters - would this work?

Hi everyone, I am thinking of swapping my tweeters of my large speakers. It's actually pretty easy and I found a suitable model. The current tweeter is this one in a slightly changed casing: https://doc.soundimports.nl/pdf/brands/Scan-Speak/D2608-913000/pdf_SB Acoustics_D2608-913000_1.pdf The...
  13. anphex

Is there already an ASR reviewer in EU?

Hi! Please move this post if the section is wrong. I've been reading ASR very passively lately and I am not really up to date. Since I've seen some new reviewers more frequently on the front page I wondered if any one of them has come forth and is accepting shipments from inside of the EU to...
  14. anphex

Anything left to improve in my signal chain?

Hey guys, I ... I think ... I've reached "the end" of hifi. Well of course I'm thinking this 3 times a years and still discover some heavy misunderstandings on my part or just plain bad settings in my configuration. Some people might now the delirious threads I posted - please don't look them...
  15. anphex

How do I test if the PreOuts of my AVR or the power amplifiers are clipping?

Hello everyone! I was watching The Hobbit yesterday and there were short clipping sounds in some places. These were parts where there was actually little bass. But it could also be that there were already frequencies in the range of 20 Hz, which I just did not notice. My current assumption is...
  16. anphex

Is there a way to get room neutral speaker measurements with software, mic and interface?

Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to emulate a spinorama or at least get the "true" speaker performance independent from the room. I can imagine that some mic positioning tricks and software calculations could be the solution, but I couldn't find any. It doesn't need to be perfect of...
  17. anphex

What exactly does max RMS power limit of a speaker tell us?

Hey guys, today I've been wondering what the max RMS power of a speaker actually means. All sources I found say something along that it's the "maximum safe volume" to run a speaker, but no data really. Safe in terms of what? Of not melting the internals? Of not damaging the membranes...
  18. anphex

Best way to connect AVR and DAC to power amp without having to reconnect the cables?

Hi guys, yeah, pretty much thread title. I have an AVR for all my purposes but I am thinking about getting a dedicated USB DAC for music. The only problem is I don't know how to wire this setup without having to reconnect the cables the whole time. Is there a way to connect two audio devices...
  19. anphex

The less light, the better the sound?

Hey guys, I guess we all experienced this phenomenon: The music sounds better at night. Could it simply be that the later it gets and the more tired our eyes become, our brain automatically places much more emphasis on hearing? Recently I read somewhere in a thread about the influence of...
  20. anphex

What good is the idea to place a resistor between speaker and power amp to reduce gain?

My Denon AVR regulates its output volume by reducing the bit depth like almost all digital audio gadgets do. My Hypex amps have a large gain of about 29 dB. This is good in itself, but forces me to reduce the denon volume greatly to avoid blowing my ears, speakers and neighbor relationships...
Top Bottom