Search results

1. J

Fiio E10K still viable for HD6XX?

I've used the THX Onyx with my 6xx and have been very happy with it. I see that it is now available on Amazon for$129, considerably less than what I paid for mine.
  2. J

500$ Budget for Headphones and Amp/Dac

I'm happy with the Sennheiser 6xx and the THX dongle. Their cost totals approximately $500. I listen primarily to jazz, rock and classical music.
  3. J

MQA Sounds Really Good!

Totally unscientific but when I played "Windy" on Tidal I mistakenly played the "HiFi" version which was unimpressive. After recognizing my mistake I located the MQA version and it was outstanding. Could be the result of using a better master or the MQA process or both.
  4. J

AVS Thread: Does anyone base there [sic] buys off audiosciencereview?

Oh yes, reviews plus forum input on actual experience with products. I bought the THX Onyx yesterday despite an assertion by a random Amazon "questions answered" guy that it didn't have enough power for my 300 ohm Sennheiser HD 6xx based on Amir's contrary evaluation. Particularly convincing...
  5. J

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

@fabius. Interesting observation and something I've been thinking about. My DAC/Amp died a couple of days ago and I plugged my headphones (Sennheiser HD6xx) into the headphone jack of my low end Lenovo laptop (running the Tidal App, Master-HiFi subscription level) thinking "here goes nothing"...
  6. J

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Greetings. I would appreciate any feedback you on your experiences setting up and using the EX5 with Tidal. Thank you very much.
  7. J

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

I'm working my way through jazz saxophonists on Tidal. Today I'm listening to Don Byas, who turns out to be one of the best musicians I never heard of. Try "Riviera Blues: The Complete Recordings."
  8. J

Blues Essentials?

J.B. Hutto and the Hawks; Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials
  9. J

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

The Bose Companion 2 speakers certainly qualify as budget at $99 a pair. I'll go out on a limb and confess that their sound is a pleasant surprise, at least in my small listening room.
  10. J

Recommendation request thread

Drop+Sennheiser 8XX and Grado RS1 or Grado RS2i please.
  11. J

Grados

Has anyone compared the Grado Hemp vs. the SR2 and/or SR1? I started with the SR80e and thought they were fine for the music I like (primarily jazz but also blues, folk and some classical.) I now listen primarily to the Drop-Sennheiser HD 6xx. While the HD 6xx sounds "better" to me than the...
  12. J

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Artist: Esther Phillips Track: Home Is Where The Hatred Is Album: From A Whisper to a Scream.
  13. J

are you disappointed of some of your old favorite songs that sound like crap on you new hi fi equipment?

Ha! I was listening to E. Power Biggs organ pieces and thought that the Doors' Light My Fire with its organ solo would sound really great. No. Also the famous saxophone solo on "Angel Baby" definitely sounds much better on a vintage 1970s car radio.
Top Bottom