Search results

1. G

Extreme Snake Oil

The link is the easy bit. :) What's inside?
  2. G

Extreme Snake Oil

USD 15k. Anyone got any inside info? Any details of design and similar? What's in the box? Snake oil and marketeering, or something worth further investigation? (Disclaimer - I don't have $15k for a PC in a fancy case.)
  3. G

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and Streamer Review

To clarify: Aging - it is now a 4-year-old model. That's not old, but in a market where manufacturers release new models at least twice a year, it is older. And that means there are some available as used models. Current models from some manufacturers will return a better technical result...
  4. G

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and Streamer Review

Given the aging of this product, and the incessant drive to release the bigger-better-faster-more next thing, this may not be cheap but will represent a very nice (probably) lightly-used entry into boutique hifi. Is it technically better than more recent products? Unlikely. But for those that...
  5. G

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

This is what I have said. In terms of measured performance, the DAC chips may be different, but that difference is no below any possible threshold of audibility. The implementation of the chip - the circuitry around it, the output stage - are likely to be different between manufacturers and...
  6. G

Recommendation of a AK4499EX-Based DAC?

A lot of it is new features. And a lot of the chips created and used in audio have other uses in other industries. (Maybe not the latest Velvet Sound XYZ, but...) The price differences in DACs supplied often relate to the manufacturer putting effort into using the extra features that are...
  7. G

That's the crux of it. It used to be that businesses made stuff. Or provided services. No longer - the underlying drive is now the money that is made, and a profit which *must* increase every time a financial report comes out. Actual 'stuff' is now the side-effect of making money, and not the...
  8. G

The Dayzee looks interesting and the manufacturers are 'real people' that you can talk to, meet, and deal with. The Audalytic AH90 is also intriguing. Huge spec and facilities at a quite sensible price. As for all those who will insist that buying a new DAC is pointless - are these people never...
  9. G

Mac routing problem

You may need to choose: JRiver, or Mac?
  10. G

TOPPING D90 III、TOPPING D50 III

D90 ||| As D90 series 3 has the most powerful performance in this series of products, THD+N is less than 0.000041% SNR 135dB D90 ||| SABER uses two pieces of ESS 9039SPRO and the latest XMOS XU3160. Inputs include USB, optical fiber, AES, IIS, Bluetooth 5.1 input, RCA+ balanced XLR output...
  11. G

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Do DACs sound different? Yes. Do DAC chips cause this? No. It is the implementation of the chip, and the method/design of signal output that can cause differences in sound. Topping, SMSL and others have this pretty much nailed with SMCs and similar, all in tidy tiny packages. Some inaudible...
  12. G

NAD C3050 LE Measurements

Old thread, but this is important to many people. how something looks changes how it 'feels'. And satisfaction at the presence of something is immeasurable. @fcracer and @dougi - are you enjoying your ownership? This does get away from the science aspect of this forum, but presents another...
  13. G

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

Early implementations of DAC chips often overlook many features that the chip manufacturer has included. This is 'rush to market' stuff - there's insufficient lead-time to sort what may be considered 'extras'.
  14. G

Technics SU-GX70

Power is a bit lower than might be expected. One of the reasons why I'm keen to learn what the amplification stage is.
  15. G

Technics SU-GX70

No display? Who cares? It's an amp, not a TV! OK - I'm being unfair. I may not be fussed about such things but I appreciate others like and use them. Fewer bells and whistles. Smartphone as a source? It supports WiFi, Chromecast, AirPlay and Bluetooth. And all the usual analogue and digital...
  16. G

Technics SU-GX70

This could be interesting. https://us.technics.com/products/network-audio-amplifier-su-gx70 No details around the amplification solution or what DAC is used, but I can't help drawing comparisons with the NAD M33 (albeit without the bells and whistles).
  17. G

I don't need a headphone amp, but the better PSU wouldn't go amiss. And I agree - Topping, SMSL (and others) doubtless rush product to market using the latest'n'greatest tech. Actually using the technology to it's fullest extent is (at that time) less important to them than being first.
  18. G

But at twice the price of the E70V ? It does seem that enabling additional existing function comes at a price!
  19. G

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

How about the Orchard Audio PecanPi Streamer DAC ? https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi_streamer_dac_headphone/
  20. G

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Me too! Using the AKM 4499... http://www.singxer.com/pd.jsp?id=81
Top Bottom