Search results

1. H

Is dynamic headroom a good thing?

I was reading this https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/arcam-a25-integrated-amp and 2 dB of headroom was noted as very nice. But IS it? - It's nice to have more voltage output and music is dynamic, so YAY! - OTOH doesn't it imply the power supply is "soft" and hence less than ideal...
  2. H

Passive small/medium monitors with waveguides?

When I say "monitors" I'm using the word loosely, this is not for a studio. At one location I currently have three towers up front but for aesthetic reasons am strongly considering changing to somethings smaller (maybe midsized, NOT like Wharfedale Linton sized) either mounted up on the wall or...
  3. H

Why aren't amplifiers designed for peak power?

For instance, like some back-in-the-day NAD or Proton, which had a continuous rating and then a 6 dB higher rating for xxx many milliseconds or something? Rockford Fosgate made a car amp which sucked in power constantly from the battery to juice up a supply with huge output power. Are...
  4. H

amplifiers that can pass DC (or nearly)?

Once upon a time I had a Crown 2x75W at work which would pass signal down to DC. I used that to play very low frequency tones (1 Hz? 0.1 Hz? 0.01 Hz? I don't recall) into a woofer so people could literally watch the speaker move back and forth. I'd like to be able to do that again-any new or...
  5. H

Clipping indicators, where are the clipping indicators?

I'm curious to hear especially from those who do amplifier design why these are rarer than purple polar bears? - OK we can all imagine some factor of "what the customer doesn't know won't make them complain" - ...and "if the customer pushes the amp unknowingly into clipping the amp will be...
  6. H

inexpensive but ROBUST little amps suggestions needed

This is for a friend teaching Physics who wants to get further into waves and audio. She thinks the students should be able to use online tone generators from Chromebooks, buy 3.5 mm to RCA adaptors, then some kind of small amp to power speakers: - This could be any manner of speakers, including...
  7. H

MEASURING amplifier clipping

OK, I'm tired of threads on various sites with people asking about amp rating and speaker rating and do they need an external amp and people positing all kinds of distance formulas and rules of thumb and the (often-exaggerated) speaker sensitivity to essentially GUESS if the amplifier is...
  8. H

How can you measure the bit depth?

In particular, someone said when they ripped audio from The Alan Parsons Project's Turn Of A Friendly Card Blu-ray is only 16 bits. How would one go about checking this? Does anyone have that disc and can do so? (I'm on a Mac, not sure my outboard drive is even BD capable...)
  9. H

What if you didn't lowpass filter? What would REALLY happen?

So when making a digital recording, there's an antialiasing lowpass filter after the microphone and before the A/D. Then there's a lowpass filter at the output of the DAC (or inside it depending how you view things I guess). These cause problems of time response...so what if either of them was...
  10. H

What price power?

This thread (now closed due to obnoxiousness) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/marchaudio-p501-mono-block-power-amplifier-review.39678/page-17 shows you can get a boat-@ss load of essentially perfectly measuring stereo power for $3000, and similar Stereophile's review...
  11. H

Can anyone MEASURE the multichannels in a loud movie?

The idea keeps coming up that surround channels need "less power" than the front LCR, because (1) The average power is less --> I say this is irrelevant because it is actually the PEAK levels that clip the amps (2) All the channels never peak at the same time. Many say no, some including me say...
  12. H

Do tube amps REALLY clip more gently than solid state?

I have read this assertion many times as a supposed reason tube amps are great. I like tube amps and remember fondly a couple I got from my uncle, but this "gentler" thing has always bugged me. My recollection and now recent mini-survey of Stereophile measurements shows all amps' distortion...
  13. H

Looking for a spectrum analyzer app or program

I want to research the power spectrum of different music genres. So I want an app (ideally Mac but Windoze might be possible, iOS also possible) - Play local music files (i.e. NOT just microphone) - Ideally 1/3 or 1/6 octave, but FFT bins OK - Ideally peak hold and average both - Ideally data...
  14. H

Efficiency of speakers (and why towers and big cones play louder per watt)

Spurred by another thread about tower floorstanding speakers versus bookshelf models https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-do-floor-standers-really-bring-to-the-table.27360/page-3 I was spurred to finally dig out my copy of Richard Small's thesis and look up some...
  15. H

Upgrade path from a Denon AVR-X3600H?

...which is currently driving Focal 936/CC900/SR900, plus an SVS SB-2000 Pro. Upgrading the speakers, or going to Atmos, or adding another sub...those are under consideration but that's a different thread. The question here is what might give better sound. I don't believe measurements are all...
  16. H

Changing my Zoom background-how can I hack around this?

Does anyone know how this works? My workplace put in some "standard" backgrounds which are boring. But many coworkers still have other backgrounds, predating the clampdown. Are those stored...where?!? How can I put something interesting back there? (And NO, I am not worried at all about getting...
  17. H

External amp to upgrade a Denon AVR?

So on result of the AVR-X3600H thread we ordered one and were lucky enough to actually get it-yay! Seems great. However we still feel a bit "amp curious." - Supposing you wanted to upgrade the front L/R or maybe LCR, what amp would you use? - System is 5.1 Focal (936, CC900, SR900) plus an SVS...
  18. H

Lookin' for a power amp

...for a friend's new house, to go inside a big space under stairs. Source will be exclusively an iPad, so one likely scenario would be an AirPlay AVR sitting in the "closet." But that's rather pricey and seems overkill for stereo streaming. - Another scenario could be a Bluetooth amp if it was...
  19. H

High sensitivity horns versus signal-to-noise

I am getting closer to my dream of custom speakers with large horns-some of which can hit 110 dB/1W/1m. Such horns are known to be sensitive for revealing hiss in amplifiers and upstream components. And I am really REALLY REALLY sensitive to hiss whether on cassettes or computer fans or...
  20. H

Best small DAC/amp for 600 ohm headphones?

My headphones for serious listening are ancient AKG K240DF which are 600 ohms. As such, it is a bit tough to get enough volume, especially out of say quiet classical or jazz recordings. A friend gifted me the Monolith USB DAC which sounds a bit cleaner than my 2015 MacBook Air, and definitely...
Top Bottom