Search results

1. B

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Has anyone figured out a way to improve the performance when trying to adapt from the TRS output to RCA? Amir showed a big drop in performance when doing this and both my subs require RCA inputs. Also, is it possible to use a TS >> RCA adapter and have this still work as expected? Thanks in...
  2. B

Is this a valid way to time align Sub and monitors?

Thanks for all the input so far! I was hoping that the method I came up with would work so that people that are more comfortable working in a digital audio workstation (home studio musicians) could use this approach instead of trying to learn another piece of complicated software like REW. Is...
  3. B

Is this a valid way to time align Sub and monitors?

Hey all! I'm trying my best to find a simple way to time/phase align my sub and monitors. I'm using a MiniDSP nanodigi to induce latency to line up the waveforms of a single tone that both my monitors and sub share. I figure that the most important region to get aligned would be near the...
  4. B

Beta Test: DISTORT - audibility of distortions

This is such a cool program and exactly what i've been looking for. When I import my own wav files though, they play back in mono even though its set to "Stereo". Any idea what might be going on? It will export the distorted file as a stereo file which plays back correctly in another player.
  5. B

Worst performing Audio Interface?

The purpose is to The purpose is to get a sense for how much a cheap/bad interface can impact the final quality of an audio recording. Probably the most important thing for me would be poor DAC performance, but I'm also curious about the ADC and how bad the headphone amp could influence...
  6. B

Worst performing Audio Interface?

Kind of a strange question given this forum, but I'm interested in picking up the WORST multifunction audio interface for some experimenting. Terrible performing ADC, DAC, and/or headphone amp is encouraged. Lower price, the better as well. The reason is to identify what the impact of the gear...
  7. B

Upgrade Sennheiser HD 650s to Planars for mixing/mastering work?

Genelec 8030s with an svs 2000 pro sub. Really nice little system. In an acoustically treated and tuned room.
  8. B

Do you think there is any sonic benefit going from the 650s to Dan Clarke or other headphones? Or is it more just personal preference? I plan to EQ for flatness as my studio monitors are currently treated and eq'd to be flat from 20 to 20K. Thanks
  9. B

Hey all! Been a lurker in here forever. Had a question for all of you. I only use headphones occasionally for mixing/mastering work when I'm on the road. I currently use Sennheiser HD 650s with sonarworks to correct the EQ. But I see myself using headphones more and more in the near future...
  10. B

Are there any kind of baffle designs that help with desk reflections?

I did a video on this. I made little panels that sat on my desk at the primary reflection point. In my case it actually made a pretty big difference to the sonic image and some of the frequency response.
  11. B

Battle Of Budget XLR Cables

Ah! Yes, I completely understand. Thanks for the great explanation. Cheers!
  12. B

Battle Of Budget XLR Cables

This might be a very ignorant question, but your dynamic range/THD/Noise measurements are at -170 dbfs - but you are recording 24-bit which has a dynamic range of 144 dbfs. Are the values off on the y-axis?
  13. B

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

Yeah I plan to use sonarworks most likely to flatten the response just because it integrates so nicely systemwide for me.
  14. B

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

I picked up a pair of these headphones and love their tonality, but agree with amir that they do feel spatial smaller than speakers. I often use plugins like "canopener" to simulate a more open space. Can anyone recommend a pair of headphones that is tonally similar to the 650s that has a much...
  15. B

Hifiman Ananda Headphone Review (video)

Don't know what I would do without your detailed testing and honest reviews Amir! Thanks for all you do!
  16. B

DDRC-24 - Dirac Live on a budget?

Thank you so much for this walkthrough. Simple, logical, and easy to follow! Really appreciate it!
  17. B

Manually time-aligning subwoofer(s) to mains - how to

Thanks so much for your insight! I'm still very new to this and trying my best to learn. How did you identify the boundary interference from the figures? Just loss of low frequency information? Or is there some feature in the plots that is a giveaway? Also, I'm using a nanoDigi which only...
  18. B

After adding the max amount of delay to my mains, the step looks closer to aligned (i think). Is the goal to just make the initial peaks aligned?
  19. B

>>Ah, yes you are correct. I I need to "push back" my mains. Yep, this is exactly how I did it as well. What I'm so confused about is why the phase is so different for the sub compared to my monitors. They are almost the same distance away from my monitors but the phase response looks so...
  20. B

This is such a good thread! I'm learning so much. I'm trying to follow along and I'm not sure what I can do about what I'm seeing. I think I need to delay my sub about 10 ms to align it, but I'm using a nanoDIGI which only allows up to 9 ms of delay. I'm using a umik-1 with nearfield genelec...
Top Bottom