Search results

1. A

Struggle replacing Old AVR - tried RZ50, 4800h, and Cinema 70 - what now?

Of course. I replaced the biases of the past with the biases/luxuries of the present, electrostatic earspeakers, SINAD 120 DACs, 64K tap filters, etc. ;):cool:
  2. A

Struggle replacing Old AVR - tried RZ50, 4800h, and Cinema 70 - what now?

I find that introducing a small amount of even/second harmonics into the reproduction chain, like a well designed tube amp would, could be subjectively perceived as "more musical". Doubly so when listening to imperfect sources such as vinyl. I think this is ear and preference training from my...
  3. A

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

What power do you need to drive the speaker with, and what is your application (distance/SPL)? This is a very sensitive speaker, at 92db, so unless you need it to go very loud in a very large room, you may be able to use the much less expensive and objectively excellent performing alternatives...
  4. A

Suggest lesser-known good Sci-Fi films

The Thirteenth Floor (1999).
  5. A

What other IEMs should I get?

Contrary to the common understanding, one does not need to use the traditional triple flange tips that come with the Etymotics, there are plenty of tips coming in the box to suit all tastes. I bought mine not knowing if I would be able to use the triple flange tips given all the hoopla about it...
  6. A

What other IEMs should I get?

I can recommend the earphones on the first line of my signature, in particular the 7Hz Timeless seems to be very much to my liking. The Etymotic ER2XR would perhaps be second in terms of personal preferences. What is your budget?
  7. A

New Dirac MIMO active room correction

Yes, it can be tricky for fully automated systems, but if one goes with the typical for AVR Fxo of 80 or 100 Hz for small speakers, port and bass THD effects should be largely eliminated. Of course, that will mean limited MIMO effect under Fxo, but full MIMO above Fxo to at least room transition...
  8. A

My assumption, possibly wrong one, is that, ultimately, any multi-channel DRC should come down to some per channel FIR convolution, which most DIRAC and MultEQ XT32 receivers can already do at some OK number of taps. The front-end part, where these FIR filters need to be computed and optimised...
  9. A

"Farting" is a problem only if bass management is not done well. My assumption is that the DIRAC MIMO aka ART is smart enough to bass manage the small(er) speakers so as to not physically overwhelm them up to certain (reference?) SPL (and maybe above that SPL, if the bass management is done in a...
  10. A

Since most speakers, even smaller bookshelves, can do 80Hz at reasonable SPL, and the room transition frequency is often at a frequency much higher than that, especially in smaller rooms, I expect that full-range speakers all around should be nice to have, but not must have for the operation of...
  11. A

IMHO any HW platform that supports DIRAC (at however many taps per channel) should be capable of running DIRAC MIMO. The smarts is in the measurements and the filter calculations. It is a different question as to how DIRAC will decide to monetise this new technology and the amount of market...
  12. A

This, the million dollar question for those who do not have, or plan to have uber-expensive AVRs but have plenty of compute power on tap. Now, imagine if this were available/exportable as plain old 65K tap convolution per channel filter... :po_O;)
  13. A

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Roon has 3 months trial for $2 -- good for those who may need an extended trial before committing.
  14. A

Difference between Audyssey Multeq VS Multeq XT Vs Multeq XT32

Correct, I do not trust the prediction of the app -- measurements show completely different things in my case, MultEQ XT. The bass in the average room cannot be tamed so perfectly with DRC alone.
  15. A

Want Work Lossless Streaming Headphone Setup

I have not heard or read anywhere that the Lightning connector can wear off, it is mechanically and electrically very sound, I would bet more robust than USB-C. I would not worry about that at all.
  16. A

The science behind Stax's magic

Why would one complain about prices? One has the choice to not buy, because of price or any other reason. If one lusts after an expensive Stax, but cannot afford or justify a purchase at 10K, one can opt for the cheaper Stax options. Life is good!
  17. A

The science behind Stax's magic

At the high end, these could indeed be the prices (I have never checked), and if that were the only price points, I would agree. However, the entry point to the line up, the SRS-3100 package gives you amp+headphones for $700, and is IMHO a steal for what it is. 80-90% as good as the TOTL...
  18. A

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

One sub and 100Hz xover, I have not tried above that.
  19. A

KEF LS50 Meta Spinorama and Measurements

Barely and with noticeable rise in distortion, if my measurements are anything to go by: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-ls50-meta-review-speaker.25574/post-954831 This does not bother me, as I very rarely would listen at reference levels, but everyone is different. I...
  20. A

Measurements - what to do next

That dip is very wide and at a higher frequency than one would normally expect -- it is normal to have narrow alternating peaks and throughs with 20-25db difference, but this is too wide and consistently depressed signal level. I am not sure what can possibly cause that, and a subwoofer is...
Top Bottom