Search results

1. R

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

FYI, in case someone ran into the same latency issue, it did sadly recur. I tried many solutions that I found online related to the wdf01000.sys issue. I was pretty sure it was some windows problem that I couldn't fix myself. Finally, I decided to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11, and so far...
  2. R

Austrian Audio Hi-X60

I use them on the train and at work, or in the house if I don't want to bother others. I find them very comfortable for long use, they also isolate quite well.
  3. R

headphones: how and whether to start?

As for headphones, solderdude's website is good reading, but you have to check for yourself what you like. I am still very happy with the Sennheiser HD660s open back. If you are interested in Sennheiser check their outlet / refurbished website. They always have excellent discounts on all models.
  4. R

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

This is indeed the interpretation that many people have given to the OP's question: fantasies about their ideal systems, which dodges entirely the fact that many other people don't care for that and are much more 'easily impressed' with decent systems.
  5. R

Thank you Davide for this resource. Whatever precise setting was interfering (one of the many Radeon CPU settings hidden in AMD Adrenaline), chosing the 'performance' preset has solved the issue. I am not very curious about finding out the exact cause. When it's necessary I will refer to that guide.
  6. R

I think it is related indeed to some AMD CPU setting. The above is with a performance focused AMD CPU/GPU setting in Amd software. The below is immediately after switching to a "quality" preset, with the same processes running.
  7. R

Thank you for your advice, as always. Installing the E30 driver and setting it to ASIO, then increaing the buffer size in the Topping Audio Device seemed to improve things. However, running LatencyMon and just listening to music / working, I did get a serious drop-out. It gave this result: "...
  8. R

I'll reach out to Dirac Live support, but just in case any of you might provide some pointers. Listening to music while working on my Windows 10 PC I've noticed some cracks etc., clearly related to other work the PC was doing (i.e. opening another browser tab etc.). This is new. I am pretty sure...
  9. R

How MANY Streaming Services Do You Use?

Tidal family. I like the UI, the recommendation algorithm works very good and I find all the new albums or artists I hear about on internet radio, which is the second source of 'streaming' audio. I never had a cd collection, so this is perfect.
  10. R

Using TV as center channel speaker ?

Personally I think the difference between TV audio and speakers is so big, that it could never give a more satisfactory result. I also don't really understand the space constraint regarding big tvs. Surely the width and depth can never be a problem, only the height. What problem is there to...
  11. R

Casting YouTube to speakers is worth so much to Google that they killed Chromecast Audio to stop it competing with their music hardware & services.

Works for me too, with some microstutters though. I also don't really see a use case for that. Why do you want to see video's on your laptop while casting the audio?
  12. R

WiiM Ultra

I agree, but it seems WiiM has decided to enter the crowded competition with SMSL, Topping, etc. I too wished they would have just stuck with refining their streaming niche (the mini, the Linkplay module, adding PEQ possibly, ...).
  13. R

MiniDSP Flex HTx

I have a slightly off-topic question about that third preset. I saw this blogpost of Creekaudio explaining a 'do-it-yourself' 3.1 system for 2.0 input using a MiniDSP, with L+R highpassed and lowpassed signal sent to a centre channel...
  14. R

Best low-cost used smartphone for Qobuz streaming?

I agree with this suggestion. A Wiim device (their more expensive offerings have better DACs but the Wiim mini is adequate) is by far the best value proposition for Qobuz streaming. Apart from output level issues, you also avoid Android resampling chennanigans (bit-perfect output) and have a...
  15. R

Room EQ and subwoofer management hardware: Anti-Mode X2 by DSPEAKER

I agree with sigbergaudio. However, if you just want to correct some spikes, an UMIK microphone and REW PEQ on the PC is a much more affordable and flexible solution. The advantage of the X2 and X2D is a proper 2.1 integration with configurable highpass / lowpass.
  16. R

(Europe) Master Deals Thread on Audio Product Sales

Also Winter Sales at Audiophonics, though given their record on discounts, probably not very spectacular deals: https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/soldes-c-6445.html?fbclid=IwAR0xm_nf-mZ-Z1bj8lkKs4-V1azjsWUAxUGTJq7b_1fpRsQ3EfhBW6oOnJ0
  17. R

Why do streaming audio players seem to be useless and overpriced bling to me?

I absolutely agree. Add to that the certainty that streaming services will continue to quickly evolve, apps of dedicated streamers will cease to be supported etc. A streamer should cost no more than the Wiim mini, and ideally much less.
  18. R

Stereo amps lacking HPF for mains in 2.1 setup… a big deal, or not?

Minidsp Flex and a stereo power amp fits that bill, but that is considerably more expensive than the Wiim amp.
  19. R

Brussels Sprouts

Fantastic. Top tier vegetable. Parboiled then in a pan with oil and garlic, or butter and nutmeg, also great in the oven (cut in half, oil salt pepper, some garlic powder.
  20. R

ASR MEMBERS: What System Would YOU Choose To Blow Away Non-Audiophiles?

You don't need much to 'blow away' non-audiophiles. Putting some room between decent bookshelves, and many people hear stereo for the first time ...
Top Bottom