Search results

1. B

Why Are Audiophiles so Bound and Determined to Make Others Waste Money

Yeah, I've concluded it's not worth participating in forums dominated by "subjectivists". It really doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things, and it's too aggravating to bother with for no real benefit.
  2. B

Best Headphone ASR Has Reviewed

"The Relationship Between Perception and Measurement of Headphone Sound Quality", which, IIRC, first established the Harman curve, was published in 2012.
  3. B

[AES] Cable Pathways Between Audio Components Can Affect Perceived Sound Quality

How many times exactly are we going to beat this dead horse of a paper? I think this is the 4th thread, maybe more.
  4. B

"Things that cannot be measured"

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-comedy-of-some-hi-res-recordings.6888/page-12#post-555591 A member here did a somewhat in-depth breakdown of that meta-analysis, for anyone interested.
  5. B

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Yes, but that doesn't stop there from being a method of testing gear with arbitrary signals. Anything that doesn't null is a difference, by definition. That was the only part of your post I was replying to. Whether the difference is audible, and if so how much - those are separate questions.
  6. B

Isn't there? Null-tests, for example, will show any deviation between any two signals.
  7. B

Constructive and destructive interference in audio

Bold of you to assume someone making those arguments knows what a Fourier Transform is.
  8. B

The Nyquist theorem says nothing about perfectly replicating one frequency - it refers to perfectly replicating all frequencies below half the sample rate. When you sum 4 frequencies (i.e. 4 sine waves), they form a function that contains all 4, not a simple sine wave at an average of the 4.
  9. B

It's nonsense. Frequencies at or below half the sampling rate are able to be recorded. Edit: the theorem is: Emphasis on "contains no frequencies higher than" and "completely determined".
  10. B

Article on the Audeze Website - Headphone Amplification

Honestly... on a (poorly dithered) CD, 50 dB is more than halfway to the noise floor.
  11. B

Article on the Audeze Website - Headphone Amplification

I was searching for something else and this article caught my eye: https://www.audeze.com/blogs/technology-and-innovation/sensitivity-impedance-and-amplifier-power Specifically the following line: Is it just me, or is that a little out there? 50 dB peaks above RMS? That seems insane for any...
  12. B

The Truth Pre Amp Review

He's from Eastern Canada, I believe.
  13. B

Workshop Thread

Hey all! I've seen some EEs among us posting their workshops in various threads, and I figured I'd make a dedicated spot where we can all show off our shops and tools. We've all seen some of the electronics workbenches floating around. What does everyone have manufacturing wise? 3D printers...
  14. B

This thread started out talking about phase distortion from DACs, rather than polarity inversion as you've tested here. Though the topic seems to be constantly changing as it goes.
  15. B

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

I'm of the personal opinion that a purely academic approach to engineering is a recipe for boredom and disappointment. I really do think the people that do best in the field are those who like to tinker, and that a large part of the useful things you learn in engineering schools are...
  16. B

Accurate audio measurements

You're also pretty active in the "Budget Klippel NFS" thread on DIYAudio, right? Definitely interested.
  17. B

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

For the E in STEM, I'd recommend being relatively sure you enjoy the practice of Engineering. Otherwise, it tends to be a very difficult program and students who don't enjoy the application of the principles end up feeling a sort of imposter's syndrome. If she enjoys...
  18. B

oh dear... "Cable Pathways Between Audio Components Can Affect Perceived Sound Quality"

Whoops... that's what I get for not reading carefully enough. Thanks.
  19. B

oh dear... "Cable Pathways Between Audio Components Can Affect Perceived Sound Quality"

Ah, I was just going off the conclusion: So they seem to claim an extra/different amplifier in the signal path for the balanced cable. Maybe I misunderstood... regardless, the study doesn't seem to say very much useful, other than that balanced and single-ended signal paths can perform...
  20. B

Best Headphone ASR Has Reviewed

https://headphonedatabase.com/oratory/headphones?ids=217,70,271,187 That's really debatable, depending on what one feels is "bright". The 540 has more bass and mids than any of the others. And the HD600 and 650 are far closer to each other than the HD580 and 600. As @MRC01 said, things like...
Top Bottom