Search results

1. M

Announcing beta-test of PKHarmonic VST plugin

Any chance you might release a linux version ? In the case you are using a windows onli UI library, or that the build process might require work, a release there could be an option to use it without a UI, that would load parameters from a file.
  2. M

Recording quality of Motu mk5 vs M4

Good advice again (to try things, and listen before pouring more money into gear ) ;-) It seems that microphones are where most of the budget should be spent, then the preamp, and lastly the audio interface. Being a DiY hobbyist, I am looking at DiY microphone kits such as these...
  3. M

Thanks, these are very helpful advices ! What good outboard preamps would you suggest ?
  4. M

I wanted to purchase a Motu ultralight Mk5 after seeing this review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-ultralite-mk5-review-audio-interface.24777/ But it turns out that they are out of stock everywhere, and it may take months before one can be obtained. My main...
  5. M

RasperiPi + MiniDSP 2x4 HD as a streaming DAC

It seems that the MOTU M4 is cheaper than the miniDSP flex, and if it uses the same DAC as the 2x4HD, the specs measured by Amir are inferior, so the main (if not only) advantage of the Flex, is that's it's more real time, and plug&play ?
  6. M

Camelia looks awesome ! I suppose the only downside of running DSP functions on the RPi, is the need to add a few seconds of delay to prevent stream starvation, which means in practice, to wait a few seconds between the moment you press start and the moment where sound actually comes out of...
  7. M

Ok, I just found this review of the MiniDSP HD, and the DAC isn't so great. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-and-minidsp-2x4-hd-dsp-and-dac.2674/
  8. M

I am considering using a MiniDSP 2x4 HD, fed by a Raspbery Pi, to feed a 4 channel amp, for powering a pair of 2 way speakers, in an active configuration. I this setup, the MiniDSP would function simply as a (USB fed) DAC, and I was wondering how it compared with other DACs. I don't see any...
  9. M

Measuring response curve in the target room for designing active crossovers and filters

Thanks for the info, I will do as you suggest (given that I have a UMIK-1, and that REW seems capable of correcting time shifts), right now my main obstacle is waiting for nice weather do do measurements outside, it's raining all the time and winter is close, meanwhile I will build a proper...
  10. M

Measuring response curve in the target room for designing active crossovers and filters

I see... I was wondering how the recording software (like REW or HFD) managed to place the samples on the horizontal axis. I can only think of two ways: 1): if the software that produces the sound also controls the sound capture, it "knows" how to deduct the frequency coordinate from the time...
  11. M

I'll try this if the import doesn't work. I think the main difficulty will be to align all samples on the frequency axis (which is also the time axis). I'll try that and report my findings here. My problem with recording with HFD is that it can't use umik-1 (or it sees it as a regular mic...
  12. M

In HFD, there is an option of loading a sample file for each speaker / channel. My (perhaps incorrect) understanding is that HFD can plot the effect of applying the biquad chain of each channel, so you get to see (and compare) the filtered and unfiltered plots, and predict how the filter chain...
  13. M

I have a soundcard and an sm-57, but won't this microphone be far from neutral ? Or at least less neutral than a umik-1 ? If I understand what @sigbergaudio is saying: I can record with the umik-1 and REW, save the captured sample files, and then load *only the sample files* in HFD, and from...
  14. M

Can I use a umi-1 as input in HFD ? If not, which mic (or which kind of mic) should I use ?
  15. M

I didn't know you could do measurements within HFD ! I see there is an ASIO configuration pannel and a record function. Given that I use umik-1 which has it's own calibration file (and that it doesn't seem that HFD can take it into account), would it be better to record the responses with...
  16. M

Indeed, but if I want to correct both the room and the speakers, how is that a problem ? If I correct a spike with a biquad, does it matter if the spike is a result of the room, the speaker, or a combination of both ?
  17. M

By measuring the response curve, and by flatening spikes with filters until the measure becomes flat enough ? I guess you are right, but I don't understand why (sorry I'm a total beginer in this field) !
  18. M

I built a pair of 3 way active speakers, each powered by a Fa123, and I've started to read how to measure outside to get accurate response curves without interference from the room. I got a umik-1 for that purpose. If I only plan to play the speakers in a particular room, would it not be...
  19. M

Example (or starter) filter configuration file for a Hypex Fa123

Is there a danger of busting the tweeters if I take measurements of all 3 drivers before putting hipass and lowpass filters ? I did add capacitor to protect the tweeters, so I suppose it is safe, but I've read that tweeters can be busted if they are sent sound signals that are too low...
  20. M

Example (or starter) filter configuration file for a Hypex Fa123

@headshake thanks for the recommendation, I downloaded the config and opend it with the filter design software, it's a great example ! Now I have to decide which kinds of filters I will try first, there are so many to choose from ! Out of curiosity, what went into your decision process when...
Top Bottom