Search results

1. Martinvb

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

You tipped the balance: now there is a majority of voters who report problems with the PA5. Apparently I am increasingly lucky to have a unit that still works flawlessly after almost 2,5 years…
  2. Martinvb

Small speaker recommendation

If for a simple media system, I can highly recommend Panasonic SB-PMX2(/3) speakers: 3 way, 40-80 watt, not very sensitive (81 dB), but with an amazing sound and depth, unreal for such small bookshelf speakers. They come with the typical mini-systems by Panasonic, which themselves are not built...
  3. Martinvb

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro Amplifier Review

I’ve one myself, and have used one of a friend, both with a wiggling volume knob. This has been acknowledged by Fosi as something that should be considered ‘normal’, i.e. not a reason to send it back.
  4. Martinvb

If you do not bother too much about the wiggle in the volume knob, you won’t be disappointed.
  5. Martinvb

Show us your audio tweaks, mods and extras

Cast concrete stands to adjust height for near field listening and damp some vibrations.
  6. Martinvb

Does anyone recognise this 20W NONAME speaker?

Yes, I was amazed that there was no true filter present in the speaker, only one small capacitor in the lead to the tweeter. I swapped it for a proper 2-way filter, without any appreciable effect on sound quality (although I should have measured it properly, of course). By now, the industry...
  7. Martinvb

In the version that I have there seems to be a yellowish plastic cone at the base of the tweeter, covered with a loosely woven translucent dome, which does not seem to be involved in producing sound: just eye candy. It might explain why brands do not (or are not allowed to) put their logo on...
  8. Martinvb

You’re right, these are the ones! Thanks for your help. Sad that the new brand owners didn’t even bother to put their name on these boxes, as there is nothing to be ashamed of. I’m amazed by the sound quality of some of these low budget speakers that come with relatively cheap sound systems.
  9. Martinvb

Today I ran into these unbranded, small 20W 4 ohm in a local thrift shop (above). I bought them, because they looked quite similar to the Philips DCD 7010 that I use (and love) in one of my home systems (below). I actually prefer the sound of the NONAMEs to a pair of Kef C15, which were much...
  10. Martinvb

Yes. I also prefer to keep bass/treble neutral and suppose that these Elac's do not need any tone adjustment either, do they?
  11. Martinvb

Yes this is indeed possible. I would advice to turn the volume on the Fosi up to the max you expect to listen to on a regular basis (e.g. 12 o’clock), then to use the E50 to adjust to the right volume. This reduces the chance of accidental high power output to your speakers when the volume on...
  12. Martinvb

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

I think you’re right: if you are in for high performance gear at this price point there always is a customer trade off. On the other hand, Topping also sells much more expensive stuff, aimed more at the high end market. The PA5 may have been an expensive glitch for them, reputation wise. I’m not...
  13. Martinvb

Advice on new vs used speakers?

What do you mean by that?
  14. Martinvb

Extreme Snake Oil

…and somebody else ate it :facepalm:
  15. Martinvb

Will this work to fill a stand ?

I used concrete filled PVC tubes: makes my LS50’s stand perfectly still in space :cool:
  16. Martinvb

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

If it is powered by the USB bus of a PC USB, available power could be too low for the E50 to work properly. Have you tried a separate 5V/1A power supply?
  17. Martinvb

Well, Topping must do something right when they are able to produce excellent measuring units. The issue of unreliability of the PA5 (I and II) still remains rather obscure to me, as these units must have been sold (and are currently selling) like hot cakes. Agreed, determining failure rate...
  18. Martinvb

It may actually be a very good idea to have a PA5 II user panel and do a prospective study. Apart from purchase date some other basic info could be useful to collect for post hoc analysis, such as: serial number, main usage balanced or unbalanced, mean output setting. Users should subscribe only...
  19. Martinvb

ND25FW-4 , tweeter. What are + and -? Red-black?

So what happened to the small Goodmans? I came across two of those little gems a few weeks ago in a local thrift shop. Unfortunately, the had been handled badly, as filters were bad and the tweeters burned out. After repairing the tweeters and swapping out filters they sounded unexpectedly...
Top Bottom