Search results

1. diablo

Break from Tekton Thread

Visiting Americans can always pop into a McDonald's to get a taste of home though. No wait - - they won't let us put all those tasty chemicals in the food here. :D
  2. diablo

Banana plugs driving me bananas

I've had some banana plugs which required a good deal of force on first insertion, though not the same type as the picture. Also had some speaker sockets with very shallow inputs for banana plugs - needed to drill them deeper. :) Though those speakers shouldn't be like that. ??
  3. diablo

A Call For Humor!

Water tower competition, eh? This is the one I get my supply from.
  4. diablo

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

I've purchased Dirac Live separately from them before. Though the procedure has changed - you now do it through the new Control Panel software - https://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=421
  5. diablo

I was very impressed with Dirac when I first used it (though that was on a DDRC24). For example I could hear individual voices in a choir, rather than them being mashed together. I later realised the importance of exact timing, which Dirac is good at. I still use Dirac to set timings, even when...
  6. diablo

I have both the standard Flex and the Eight model. When I only had the normal Flex I did some speaker comparisons - though needed to hang the subwoofer off the amps I was using - as of course there weren't enough outputs for a separate sub. So I found some more cash and got the Eight, which is...
  7. diablo

I tested my standard Flex by leaving it on for an hour. It is in a cool room (17C) at the moment - hottest point was 31C. My Flex 8 has been in use all day in a warm room (23C) and the hottest bit of that (underside, near the back) is 35C. I don't understand why yours should get so warm...
  8. diablo

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

I did lots of sweeps with REW tis morning. I was impressed with how flat they were in my room - compared to the LS50 Metas they are replacing in that role. If I had done a final sweep after I finished setting them up and had left the microphone in the same place I would check it, but I didn't...
  9. diablo

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

I got a pair of Revel M106s first thing this morning. After I got them set up I listened to a few things and noticed the top end seemed a bit tinny. Odd, I thought. So I looked up 'Revel speaker break-in' and came across this thread, pretty much dismissing the idea. My speakers are probably...
  10. diablo

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

I dunno if it is due to climate change but the British weather seems to look like that a lot more often these days. That's been the norm this winter, interspersed with the odd bitter-cold sunny day. :)
  11. diablo

Using the external analogue-digital converter is really no different to using the inbuilt RCA inputs in the 2x4HD - that does the same thing, just inside the one box. So it makes no difference to how you use it. My lounge setup is around a TV in the corner of the room, so I need EQ on my main...
  12. diablo

With the likes of AVS Forum I'd expect it to mainly appeal to Americans, as a fair amount of the speakers and other stuff is actually American and only on sale there. Or that seemed to be the case the last time I visited much.
  13. diablo

I sometimes need analogue in to my Flex Eight. I bought a converter to feed into the SPDIF input - https://www.futureshop.co.uk/blustream-adc11au-analogue-to-digital-audio-converter-adc It seems to work pretty well. The Flex HTx has eight channels and analogue inputs -...
  14. diablo

I'm in Blackpool, England Though I haven't seen the illuminations or stepped on the beach for a few years.
  15. diablo

Harman acquires Roon

That's Radio 3 live, which will currently broadcasting the morning show, which I don't care for, at 96kbps on Roon. I'm now listening to a lunchtime concert from some days ago on BBC Sounds, at 320kbps. I doubt it is worth their while to incorporate that service, even if the BBC would...
  16. diablo

I was looking at basic PEQ settings earlier on my Flex 8 today, hoping it had a 'high shelf' option. It didn't. Though the new version has it. :)
  17. diablo

looking for a speaker switching box (?)

The advert for these says "All channels adopt fully isolation design, each channel's GND is independent without mutual interference. Supports all kinds of amplifier such as BTL / class A / class B / class D digital amplifier / tube amplifier etc."...
  18. diablo

New product - SMSL AO300

I'm no longer using the sub out but I think I actually set my SVS sub to roll off at 77Hz 24 dB slope, which seemed to work okay. The graph for the A300 sub roll-off looks like a 100Hz 6dB Butterworth to me. I assume the AO300 is similar. No way would I use LFE for stereo.
  19. diablo

New product - SMSL AO300

I have two A300s and I thought they worked fine with the sub attached. Though I got a suspicious REW trace at low volume a couple of days ago. So ran some tests this morning. This shows stereo sweeps, though using one channel of each A300, both connected to the same subwoofer. The volumes were...
  20. diablo

Age related frequency loss and speaker choice.

I've seen charts like that before and I can't relate them to my hearing. I occasionally play frequency sweeps though my systems to check the levels, mainly for bass and mids. Here is a simple and short Youtube one - I'm 72 and I hear fairly constant volume levels up to about 6k. Then it...
Top Bottom