Search results

1. S

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

So probably asked and answered here, but I couldn't easily find it: How are these for noise isolation? While I really like open headphones (I have the HD800S right now) and would like the Expanse, sadly after moving I no longer have my quiet studio and my computer is just going to be in a noisy...
  2. S

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

While I like the SINAD measurement and find it useful I do think some people, particularly around here, go too hard on it as a "goodness" measure. While lower is better, it does stop audibly mattering after a point and more important is that, as you note, the components are not equal. If your...
  3. S

So maybe answered before, but what does an X4800H get you over an X3800H?

No, or at least not without issues. So eARC itself just doesn't work. I don't know why. ARC does, and I can turn on eARC and the devices act like they are doing it, but audio fails. I don't know if it is the receiver (X4400H), TV (S95B), or a combo of them that is the issue but it is stereo...
  4. S

So maybe answered before, but what does an X4800H get you over an X3800H?

I'm mulling a new receiver since I have a nice shiny new OLED that does 120Hz VRR and a big gaming PC that can drive it, but there are annoying issues with feeding the TV direct from the computer. My current receiver (X4400H) doesn't do HDMI 2.1 so no 120fps for me. So I'm debating a new...
  5. S

Anyone have opinions on Genelec "The Ones" vs 8000s?

Hookups wouldn't be an issue, at least for one pair. This isn't a home theater system, it is my computer system. The plan would be to feed them off my RME UCX II which has an AES output. However it also handles the DAC part having 8 of those. I don't know about doing room correction as my...
  6. S

Anyone have opinions on Genelec "The Ones" vs 8000s?

So I have a pair of Genelec 8030s and I love them. Most clean and transparent speakers I've ever owned, only real complaint is that they don't go super low which of course I knew going in to it. I'm thinking about building out surround sound for my setup. The obvious choice is just to get more...
  7. S

Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound processing in Headphones

I find it very different. When I tried it, the effect was not great. It gave a little bit of a surround effect, but didn't at all move it out of your head and make it sound like speakers. Hence why I use different software that does and, while not quite 100% accurate, is pretty close to being...
  8. S

I'm guessing because it doesn't really take the sound out of your head and still sounds like headphones. If you are someone coming from phones as the "right" way to listen to sound I can see what it would be something you'd like. Kinda the opposite for me, speakers are the "right" way to listen...
  9. S

Not that I notice. I'm playing with it right now and I don't feel like they are muffled. Now of course I can't really do a fast A/B test with it because you have to stop the audio, shut down Redscape (since it takes exclusive control), switch Windows to output directly to the RME and then fire...
  10. S

So where do you change the strength? All I see in the app is the ability to turn it on, battle mode or off. I think the pictures are done fairly well, I had my girlfriend take them so no I wasn't doing them myself. Also I feel like the effect should still be at least somewhat convincing in...
  11. S

I picked up a Soundblaster X4 today and... so far I'm not impressed with the virtualization. I'll have to give it some more time and testing but I'll probably send it back. The three big issues I have as opposed to Redscape: 1) The surround just isn't very convincing. It does a decent job of...
  12. S

I've never had one built in to a headset, with the exception of the Audeze Mobius, that was worth a crap. In terms of software my current favourite is Redscape. It is pretty convincing with just the software itself, more than most others, but I find that software just can't do a great job...
  13. S

Anyone have a suggestion for an audio player for Windows?

I'll have a look at both Foobar and JRiver. Do either of them have a way to get a compact interface like Winamp offers? That's not a deal breaker, but I rather like it.
  14. S

Anyone have a suggestion for an audio player for Windows?

I've been a long time Winamp fan, because I like the tiny interface that sits up in the corner of my monitor, but lets face it: It isn't getting developed anymore. So I really should find something newer. Thus I'm looking for recommendations. Requirements are that it can play MP3, FLAC and WAV...
  15. S

I really wish that companies were better about supporting their products in this area. It seems like they all just kinda of up in smoke. I don't know if the A16 is on sale anymore, you certainly can't just buy it even on their website. Waves still sells Nx (I actually backed this one on kick...
  16. S

Best headphones for Rock/Metal under $2K

The RME is a headphone amp. It has a pretty serious amplification stage in it, low noise, high voltage, low impedance, etc. Unless it can't push enough power for your phones (which it can) or you can hear noise or something there really isn't anything to improve upon.
  17. S

Looking for some headphone advice.

I'm having to move back to headphones from speakers for the first time in over a decade (moving to an apartment). While I will mourn the loss of my great surround sound setup this is of course an excuse to get NEW TOYS :) I picked up an RME ADI-2 DAC, which is just an amazing unit that I...
Top Bottom