Search results

1. kiwifi

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

If you want to watch some decent Sci-Fi, then I can recommend "The Expanse" on Prime. Season 1 is a bit of a slow burn, but Season 2 (as far as I have got to date) is a ripper!
  2. kiwifi

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

Agreed! Absolutely atrocious. After Ep 8, I thought that it couldn't get any worse, but they really out did themselves, hitting a new low with the Subspace Raspberry.
  3. kiwifi

MSO parameters in SVS Sub DSP

Me neither, but I suppose the minimum number of measurement positions would still have to be two, one for each ear...
  4. kiwifi

You should consider measuring more than just the Main Listening Position (MLP). I remember reading that somewhere that MSO works best when you measure at least (n+1) positions, where n = number of subs. In MSO, you can weight the influence that each measurement position contributes to the final...
  5. kiwifi

If you are using subs with ported mains, you should try plugging those ports. If not, a phase reversal occurs at the port tuning frequency which can make integration with subs more difficult.
  6. kiwifi

Of course, the filters defined in MSO must match those available in your hardware. The measured response won't be exact because it depends on having exactly the same microphone positions, but it should be close.
  7. kiwifi

I don't know what SVS uses but the measured response should be close to that predicted by MSO. Use RBJ filters within MSO. The filter printout will include both RBJ and Classic Q values for every PEQ. Input one type or the other into the SVS and see which gives you the predicted response. It...
  8. kiwifi

subwoofers with dual opposed drivers

I have it's big brother, the SA-WX900. I upgraded the cabinet here...
  9. kiwifi

The great Idle Power Consumption thread

Sony SA-WX900 dual 12 inch 1000W subwoofer - 0.25W on standby.
  10. kiwifi

M&K S-150THX Speaker Review

Thanks! Another DIY item. 5 mm MDF plus hot glue!
  11. kiwifi

M&K S-150THX Speaker Review

I have the (non-THX) M&K S-100B, which is very similar to the S-150, as back and L/R surrounds. They are wall mounted and angled down towards the MLP. The homemade wall bracket is made from an 8 inch gate hinge.
  12. kiwifi

Multi-Sub Optimizer (MSO): Lessons Learned, Tips & Tricks

Hopefully this will provide some inspiration for those still on their MSO journey... Here are the measured results of my latest subwoofer optimization using MSO. For mesurements the REW test signal (from a Motu M4) is fed directly into the DSP (a pair of QSC DSP-4) and the output is measured at...
  13. kiwifi

The acoustic reference is used to calculated the relative delays between subs Turning off the subs but telling XT32 that you want to measure one, triggers the XT32 screen that allows you to setup the volume levels. Once you are in that screen you power up the subs one by one and set the levels...
  14. kiwifi

Can a center channel improve stereo music?

I mostly listen the music using Audyssey/Marantz multi channel stereo, which outputs to all channels, including the center. The center is output at reduced level compared to the other channels in this mode, but I would prefer it to be off completely. I have been considering eliminating my...
  15. kiwifi

You are in luck! I have just completed a re-MSO of my four subs today, so it is fresh in my mind. Yes the timing reference is necessary. Feed the accoustic reference output from REW to one of your main speakers. If you have separate amps, then go directly into the amp. Otherwise use a direct...
  16. kiwifi

Subwoofer in a TV cabinet

If the back of the cabinet is open, I would recommend facing the sealed subs towards the back wall rather than front facing. This will provide better coupling of the subs to the room (aka room gain/loading). I assume that you'll be using some DSP to tame room modes.
  17. kiwifi

Would an external DAC add sound quality to my system?

Actually you should start with the room. Unfortunately you will likely only realize this after you have exhausted every other option. At least, that's what happened to me!
  18. kiwifi

Crossover the sub to the woofers at 80Hz as before. Sub = 80Hz LPF, woofers 80Hz HPF. The low pass filter on the sub is not a brick wall, so you should apply all the MSO filters to the sub, even those above 80Hz. I usually correct up to two times the crossover frequency on the sub.
  19. kiwifi

Peavey MediaMatrix NION nX DSP

Anybody got any experience with the Peavey MediaMatrix NION nX DSP? https://peaveycommercialaudio.com/product/nion-nx-cobranet-2/
Top Bottom