Search results

1. R

ABX ftw [meme]

2. R

Headphones : Experience Beyond Sound

With a lot of headphones these days, QoL features have made them far more than just a casing for drivers. ANC, Touch Controls, Wireless, Multi-Device Playback, Spatial Audio, Folding Mechanism, Detachable Cable, Swivel and such. I believe that for headphones to evolve further as devices that...
  3. R

HELP! HD560s or Sundara, which one should I buy?

Try ABXing Opus (160 kbps) with those Hi-Fi FLAC / MQAs in foobar2000. I can say that it would be next to impossible for you to distinguish between them. Heck, some music with only instruments I tried sounded almost the same to me at 64 kbps. (I am 20 years old, good hearing) I once sought 96...
  4. R

Wired vs Wireless Headphones

I recently tried the Sony WH-1000XM5 in store and was surprised as to how bad it sounded ; would've even mistook it for a knockoff. I currently use the M50X and yes, there is a burn-in period which I also observed with M50Xs, but that was primarily due to the sound signature I suppose. Since...
  5. R

Has anyone tried to differentiate between a chain of audio devices (and files) which are perceptibly indistinguishable from each other individually?

Measurements are to be complemented by such tests because yes, the former indeed may determine almost all of the characteristics of audio that we know of, but until sufficiently substantiated by evidence from experimental results, we cannot know for sure whether that is the case or not.
  6. R

Has anyone tried to differentiate between a chain of audio devices (and files) which are perceptibly indistinguishable from each other individually?

Well, if a $200 headphone connected to a modern smartphone produces same or extremely similar results to a $1000+ External DAC / AMP / Cable combo, I reckon that would be useful to everyone. Because a lot of the time, you end up paying a high price for something different but not necessarily...
  7. R

Yes, that can also be done. I also included changing file types (but keeping the headphones or output device constant) so as to replicate the majority of scenarios representative of common media consumption, which is not FLAC a lot of the times. However, the chain MUST be consisted of components...
  8. R

Surely, there may not be conclusions about the individual components (which is NOT the intended goal of such a study) but what we can conclude is that those individually imperceptible differences add up to something.
  9. R

Audio Transparency, File Format and Bitrate Survey

You can do that with FLAC too and save space losslessly compared to AIFF/WAV
  10. R

Personally, I have tried some ABX testing and I do not think I can tell a difference between 160 kbps Opus and FLAC which was quite surprising for me as before I can almost surely claim that there was an audible difference. I will try with 96 kbps Opus next and won't be surprised if I hear no or...
  11. R

Hi, The poll aims to collect data on which file format and bitrate combination is preferred by most individuals (or sounds acoustically transparent to them when compared to lossless).
  12. R

I wanted to know whether or not a blind test has been conducted to determine whether imperceptible differences observed in individual components become perceptible when added together. I have heard of this idea before (I think) and wanted to know of any study (amateur or professional) that took...
Top Bottom