Search results

1. Mystical Boar

Digitizing Vinyl - A special case

Dynamic Range? Maybe it depends on the genre, but almost all the music I have both on vinyl and CD have either the same or better DR on vinyl, even though the format itself has much worse DR. Of course I'm talking about old CDs because new releases or re-releases are so compressed they're...
  2. Mystical Boar

Music from vinyl is not superior, it's just different and most of the difference is due to mastering, which subjectively may sound very pleasing. As a format it's of course archaic, inconvenient and has lots of issues. Ironically, however, in the world where everything is supposed to be be...
  3. Mystical Boar

What defines a good near-field speaker?

What about two-way speakers of regular size, what would be the minimal listening distance (give or take)?
  4. Mystical Boar

Unless OP is just looking for an excuse to get into vinyl, this is the best advice.
  5. Mystical Boar

What defines a good near-field speaker?

I've seen a lot of threads about near-field listening, but I struggle to find a concrete info about what exactly makes a speaker good for near-field listening in terms of measurements. Is it mostly linear on-axis response combined with early reflections and good directivity, or is there...
  6. Mystical Boar

Why has the loudness war not ended yet?

The real tragedy is that rather than having a proper digital format with music "mastered for hi-fi" or "audiophile editions" one has to resort to over 70 years old format in order to get a decent master. This is ridiculous, like it's either a tasty steak from a dirty pig trough or turd on a...
  7. Mystical Boar

Why has the loudness war not ended yet?

There are ppl who care. Those ppl browse discogs or Russian trackers on daily basis (possibly both) and keep their mouths shut. Why? Because they know they're downloading illegal rips or don't want any competition - buying out LPs and old CDs thus rendering it more difficult to obtain and...
  8. Mystical Boar

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Again, so what? There are reviews here that didn't get any recommendation despite measuring decent due to there being better products for the price. Also, this site is all about being objective - to the point of some people becoming hostile even when one says they like vinyl. Because hey...
  9. Mystical Boar

Or just people who hate compressed music, like me.
  10. Mystical Boar

To me a generic customer in the context of hi-fi is someone who wants better quality than this; so he goes to any audio forum and asks for something "good but for a reasonable price", hence why ELAC DBR62 thread is so popular on ASR. Generic customer doesn't shop on discogs, but there's...
  11. Mystical Boar

On a side note, I wonder where do they get ideas for these hi-end designs - in some retro horror movies?
  12. Mystical Boar

Doesn't matter, what matters is how expensive it is to a mundane, generic customer. I highly respect Amir reviews and I've spent some money based on his conclusions. However, not saying this recommendation is just confusing, like trying to be objective too hard, would not be very... objective.
  13. Mystical Boar

Of course there is such a thing and of course a $500 LP is expensive even though there are much more expensive records. Why? Because you can buy a new record for like $30 and this is the typical price. Generalised data renders something cheap or expensive.
  14. Mystical Boar

I often buy music on discogs. If a record is rare and/or old it's usually "expensive" - universally, because record dealers know how much the competition is asking for it. Also, when it's "expensive" it takes more time to sell it and less people have it. It's objectively expensive based on...
  15. Mystical Boar

Then I guess we must now abandon words like "expensive", "cheap", or "budget" as it is completely subjective... Is a 1 mln USD watch expensive? No it's not because to Jeff Bezos it's nothing. Why would I? Prices are dictated by the market and what is objectively worth the price is always in...
  16. Mystical Boar

Are you saying there's no objective criteria for something being expensive just because it's different for, say, someone living in Africa or inside a cardboard? I think most people on this forum would agree on what is expensive and what is not, hence the widely used term "a budget speaker".
  17. Mystical Boar

Expectations are inherently linked with the price, besides there are reviews on ASR that didn't get any recommendation because "there are much better products at this price range".
  18. Mystical Boar

With all due respect, but recommending these speakers under any circumstances is ridiculous. You can't focus on the performance alone completely ignoring the price - one of the most important factors for most people when making a decision whether to get something or not. It's like recommending...
  19. Mystical Boar

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

I remember people saying the same thing like 5 years ago. "Finally things are getting better", "It looks like the industry is finally starting to listen", "People are becoming more and more aware of the problem", etc. Personally, I don't see any improvement. Digital releases are more...
Top Bottom