Search results

1. J

Audio engineering on LSD

I've been seeing shows and collecting tapes since '88 and still do. Media for me changed from tape to dac to drive. No taping myself, but did my best to share the music through trading and etree. Some good engineers are Deadheads. Bob McCarthy being one.
  2. J

SNR, THD+N, Dynamic Range and Impedance

Shipping these things isn't cheap. I appreciate the offer though.
  3. J

Thanks Amir. Yes, I was trying to keep the names anonymous so the feedback would be as unbiased as possible, but that's tough to do when there isn't enough info to form a conclusion.
  4. J

They both sound great. I've auditioned about 7 different pre's over the past month. Most tube and a few SS. These two are the final picks. Both sound remarkably similar, and completely different than all the other pre's I've heard. Ironically they're both made in Minnesota. Go figure, must...
  5. J

Thanks Don. Other than stating the pre's are the Audio Research LS28 and the Atma-Sphere MP-3, what information can I provide that can help determine which is better? It's also worth noting that the LS28 is without a phono stage. We can leave that piece out of it and evaluate the line stages...
  6. J

The pre's are both tube. Pre 1 is an Audio Research LS28. I haven't found any spectrums on it, but it's better brother is the Ref 6 and there are spectrums for it. https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-research-reference-6-line-preamplifier-measurements Fig.7 Audio Research Reference 6...
  7. J

Based on the specs of the two pre's how can I discern which one is better, or is it more a question of which one matches my amp better? Maybe the answer is in Blumlein's responses and I'll try to take that info to answer the question, but this is new to me. Stereophile measured the Benchmark...
  8. J

Looks like some of Minerva's posts were moderated. Much appreciated. He still has one of the Benchmark amp. I don't mind the picture, but his comment isn't helpful. Also, Ray had a post that was deleted. He asked what my sources are. Sources: DAC: Audio Alchemy DDP-1 Nominal THD+N (1...
  9. J

I'm in the market for a new preamp and I'm trying to get an understanding of the following specs and how to compare them between devices. Signal to noise ratio or SNR, Total harmonic distortion plus noise or THD+N, Dynamic Range and impedance. I think I get impedance, both input and output but...
  10. J

When 12 Gauge Wire is Not 12 Gauge

I think we can all agree our systems don't operate exactly like that. It was a visual demonstration. Comparisons can be challenging when the imagination is involved. I'll take it you have no knowledge or insight on the subject or else you would have said something helpful like in the previous...
  11. J

What are your thoughts about sizing cable to reduce eddy currents and in turn distortion? Have you measured noise levels in higher AWG cables compared to lower AWG? Here's a description of what I'm referring to.
  12. J

Amir, how did you come to the conclusion that 12 AWG is large enough? I know that too small (diameter) of a cable can cause issues, but are there situations in which too large of a cable can cause issues in either speaker or interconnect?
  13. J

Measurements and Review of SOtM SMS-200 Network Player

Some people like simplicity which have made companies like Apple so successful. Just give it to me, make sure it works and let me enjoy. Nothing wrong with that at all. There are many things in which I subscribe the same philosophy. Then you have the open source group where you can dive into...
  14. J

I'd not ask this on any other forum....cables....

I'd like to better understand how gauge and conductivity play a role in both speaker cable and interconnects. Here are a few common thoughts on the subjects. I'm leaving cost out of the equation because I don't want that to be a considered factor. I only care about the electrical...
  15. J

Measurements and Review of SOtM SMS-200 Network Player

First of all, I don't think we should be sizing up a device by whatever PSU is used with it. Many devices come without one, or offer a cheap one because the manufacturer knows you're going to replace it with something better. Stick with one high quality, low noise PSU and use that to test...
  16. J

Uptone ISO Regen Review and Measurements

Thanks for the explanation. It's very helpful to learn the actual measurements of audio products. Some companies are forthcoming with their specs, others not so much. Customer testimonial is often subjective for many reasons. It's nice to see testing other than someone's personal opinion.
  17. J

Uptone ISO Regen Review and Measurements

Amir, can you please explain the influence of your SMPS's on your tests as described here?
Top Bottom