Search results

1. J

Star Wars: Andor (TV)

I like the idea of a character led story which lets the viewer think for themselves and which presents a nuanced multi-dimensional cast of characters. There's a moral ambiguity about everything in Andor which I find much more believable than most SW (notwithstanding the fact you have to buy into...
  2. J

Doctor Who - The 14th Doctor

Great to see the new logo, a wonderful homage to the shows classic era and another part of the Chibnall/Whittaker era thrown in the trash can (the Chibnall era logo was just as awful as everything else connected with his tenure as show runner). The Disney link isn't surprising, the show was on...
  3. J

Doctor Who - The 14th Doctor

Thank god it's over, fingers crossed RTD can refloat the wreck.
  4. J

I like this one. Rogue One is the only Disney era DW movie I really like, that was a great movie. Solo was enjoyable as a fun heist movie set in the SW universe let down by a poor lead but it had some wonderful moments. The sequel trilogy was just awful, lazy story telling, tired old tropes...
  5. J

Dune 2021

I found the latest movie attempt hugely disappointing. The Lynch version was imperfect but in a single movie it did capture the complexity of the great political tripod of the Spacing Guild, Emperor and Great Houses, with the Bene Gesserit manipulating here, there and everywhere. The conception...
  6. J

RAAL requisite CA-1a Headphone Review

Given what you can get for a couple of hundred dollars the only debate about any headphones costing this much should be about how spectacularly good they are, the luxurious build and packaging, the premium materials, stellar support etc. Unfortunately that's not how audio works and I suspect to...
  7. J

Worst movie ever?

The Imitation Game, borderline character assassination of Alan Turing and a grotesque misrepresentation of Bletchley Park and the codebreakers.
  8. J

Rogue One is the only Disney Star Wars I really liked and which I found added to the Star Wars universe, so hopefully this will be pretty good.
  9. J

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

People in developing countries in many cases work longer hours in worse conditions to survive and to try and provide a better life for the next generation. Therefore to infer developed countries should be allowed to emit more because people work harder is somewhat flawed. The reason many blame...
  10. J

Is this the future of Hi-Fi?

It's not the future, for most people it has been the present of audio for several years. The holdouts are hi-fi enthusiasts but the bulk of the audio market went that way years ago.
  11. J

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

The fundamental problem facing reaching meaningful agreement to lower emissions globally is reconciling the entirely reasonable demands of developing countries to continue developing with the imperative to reduce emissions. People in the developing world aren't stupid, they're perfectly aware of...
  12. J

Education on DAP

As a storage medium and DAC any smartphone works perfectly well. Measured performance of onboard DACs or low cost manufacturer supplied dongles may not be stellar but audible performance is fine. Keep in mind a DAP nowadays is in most cases just another Android device. So why buy a DAP? Good...
  13. J

Is the Walkman NW-A55 satisfactory?

For HD660's, with EQ you may want a dedicated amplifier, as most DAPs I have tried or looked at are really designed for IEMs and efficient headphones. The HD660 is nowhere near being the hardest headphone to drive but it needs a bit of power to go loud. However, if you listen at modest volumes...
  14. J

Is the Walkman NW-A55 satisfactory?

Yes. the amplifier output isn't great but it is fine with IEMs and efficient headphones. If you have hard to drive headphones you might find volume struggles to go loud, if you like it loud. Other than that it works fine.
  15. J

True. I always try and advise people to go for a bicycle that meets their needs rather than just falling for a glitzy race replica machine or such like but unfortunately many get carried away by magazines and dreaming. A hybrid with mudguard clearance, rack mounts and hub gears is probably a...
  16. J

Rohloff hub gears are superb, expensive but superb. If you go for a hub gear I also like belt drive as an alternative to a chain.
  17. J

I remember the original Mavic ZMS electronic gear system which was meant to change the world, Mavic seemed to leave the component market not long after to concentrate on wheels. I'm not an out and out conservative in cycling. I love Shimano STI gear shifter/brake levers, wouldn't go back from...
  18. J

Is Crypto Dead?

If people want to discuss things with the moderators it is better to do it via private messages. And private messages should remain private unless the other party agrees for it to be shared.
  19. J

I am carless now and actually pretty happy about it. Owning a car in Singapore is ridiculously expensive and I can't see the point in a city state with world class public transport. If we go a bit heavy on the shopping or need to go to the airport taxis are pretty cheap.
  20. J

The thing that put me off the MX30 is the suicide rear doors and lack of rear seat practicality, which is a bit of a failing in a car like that. I did like the interior though and I thought it drove well enough, performance was fine.
Top Bottom