Search results

1. TimW

Low cost 2.1pre-amp?

Do you need surround sound decoding? If you're just looking for a multichannel DAC to use with Windows and Dirac DLBC then you could use USB instead. The miniDSP Flex HT has HDMI input and multiple channels. The Topping DM7 could be used with USB. There are many pro devices that could work but...
  2. TimW

Low cost 2.1pre-amp?

That channel imbalance was caused by the potentiometers as Amir mentioned. That means it will vary with knob position and unit to unit. That one unit may have been worse then average or maybe even better. No two potentiometers are identical but rolls doesn't seem to be using tight tolerance units.
  3. TimW

Low cost 2.1pre-amp?

The Rolls SX45 does what you want I think.
  4. TimW

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

This is so crazy to me. If you don't even have speakers why would you consider spending so much on a pair? You seem to be content without them.
  5. TimW

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

What do you mean? About half of Erin's reviews are not positive due to the speakers under review being poorly designed. He does not wax poetic like Steve Guttenberg or exaggerate like Zeos. Erin was positive about these KEFs because they have very good objective performance.
  6. TimW

How long does it take to boil a kettle in USA?

Many people here have gas stoves which are pretty quick compared to the cheap electric coil units. The modern electric solution is induction which may not be as affected by mains voltage. I know many people with electric kettles so I would say they are a popular thing here, but I live in the...
  7. TimW

Balanced phono preamp under 300 euros.

I have had the same problem for many of my systems, not for professional work but for the convenience of placing the turntable near my listening position. The first phono stage I bought with balanced output was the Hafler PH50. It was a very solidly built unit (made by radial engineering) with...
  8. TimW

Yamaha HS8 MP vs Kali IN-8 2nd Wave vs Focal Alpha 80 vs Dynaudio LYD-8

The Yamaha HS7 measured here didn't do too well, maybe the HS8 is better but I wouldn't have high hopes. The Kali IN-8 V2 measures pretty well but not any better than the 2-way options due to the ragged on axis treble caused by the coaxial midrange. The Dynaudio LYD-5 measured surprisingly well...
  9. TimW

DACs, DIRAC, Preamplification - What am I not understanding?

What are your routing matrix and output gain settings? What about the Dirac settings on the input tab? Where are you not going over -10? The volume control?
  10. TimW

Review and Measurements of Essence HDACC II-4K HDMI DAC

Does anyone know if the SPDIF outputs are controlled by the volume control? In other words, can this device be used as a digital output preamp?
  11. TimW

HBB X KZ PR2 Planar IEM

Got mine a couple of days ago. At first I was impressed with the midrange and bass response. It sounds pretty well tuned although I can't say I hear any special planar qualities compared to my DD IEMs. After further listening I started to notice the elevated treble which can become fatiguing...
  12. TimW

Are Affordable Class D Amps the Great Hope for Audio?

Absolutely they will! But not in stand-alone amplifiers. This is just my opinion as a 28 year old based on my experience which includes working at a HiFi shop in Seattle. Most young people just use the speakers built into their devices or bluetooth headphones most of the time. When they want...
  13. TimW

Highest crossover point from woofer to midbass in tower speaker for best sound? And distance from floor

If you're talking about the 8" mid-bass woofers they are in a 13" square enclosure with 3/4" rubber feet so roughly 7 1/4" to center. If you're talking about the monitors, they are MTM speakers with 6" woofers on 30" stands so roughly 40 1/2" to center of tweeter between woofers. I tried...
  14. TimW

Highest crossover point from woofer to midbass in tower speaker for best sound? And distance from floor

Woofers suspended above the ground will create a floor bounce that can create a cancellation at the listening position. This depends on the dimensions of the room and how the speakers and listener are oriented in it of course. Best way to see if this is happening is to measure. Personally I have...
  15. TimW

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

I own the Moodrop Chu, 7Hz Salnotes Zero, and the original Truthear x Crinacle Zero. I also own the Truthear Hola, QKZ x HBB Khan, and ordered the KZ PR2 recently. One channel of the Chu stopped working after just a few months of use, probably because of the cable which isn't removable. I...
  16. TimW

Audio processor with digital-out for active speakers and more?

Check out the MiniDSP SHD, it is the preamplifier I use. It is a 2 in 4 out device with Coaxial SPDIF and analog RCA outputs. All outputs are active at the same time and since it is a 4 out device, the second pair of outputs can be manipulated separately in the DSP settings to create a specific...
  17. TimW

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

It would work. I have the regular SHD and have used the digital output with actives. It works perfectly and has never gone full volume on me even after updates. If you want to set a lower maximum volume you can set a negative gain value for the inputs or outputs to reduce risk of full volume...
  18. TimW

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero Red

Here is his graph comparison tool.
  19. TimW

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Interesting, what made you change your mind about these aspects? I remember suggesting earlier in the thread that cardioid bass would be something I would look for at your budget. You said something along the lines of not being convinced it had a real world benefit. Did your listening to...
  20. TimW

Mission LX-3 MKII Speaker Review

I got my JBL Studio 530 on sale for the same price as these. There is also the Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ for slightly more. Those have better directivity matching but with this having a 6 1/2" woofer, it does have better extension. The JBL 306P or Kali LP-6 would be good active alternatives for a...
Top Bottom