Search results

1. H

DIY speakers

I was a bit to quick to jump to conclusion. It does make an audible difference but it took a while. I can clearly hear that the mids and especially the highs are a bit lower in level now and the sound is better this way. I might even go a bit lower.
  2. H

DIY speakers

I agree :). For this I need to be able to rotate the speaker, which I cannot do at the moment. I also very curious how the speakers perform in this regard. I will definitely think of a way to perform off-axis measurements, at least horizontally.
  3. H

DIY speakers

I added some extra attenuation on the MID and tweeter. Below you can see the result: This is measured at 1m, gated at 4ms. The green trace is the original xover and the blue one is the updated one. Sound wise I can't say I can hear a big difference. From the THD graph below we can see that...
  4. H

DIY speakers

That's a great looking implementation you have there. I definitely plan to use DSP to build active crossovers. For now I'm happy with passive filters as I've built several amps (including tube ones) that I plan to use. Having the amp inside means that I can't use my amps :). I definitely plan to...
  5. H

DIY speakers

I did not perform off-axis measurements yet as I do not have a good jig to do these measurements. It's something I'll do at some point. As for placing the port on the front, I did not really have a good reason other that me thinking it will look nice. As the port length is rather small (90mm) I...
  6. H

DIY speakers

The cabinets are 104x240x280cm. The acoustic enclosure is 100cm tall as the lower 4cm are made out of solid oak as an edge and in houses the filter inside (like below).
  7. H

DIY speakers

The first graph is gated at 3ms as I have the first reflections at 3.5ms (somewhat small room). The distortion graph (the one with the fundamental) is not gated at it's smoothed at 1/12. All measurements are in-room as I do not have other options at the moment.
  8. H

DIY speakers

Thanks! I'm not in acoustic business. By trade I'm an electronics design engineer and I;m really into audio electronics. I've also posted several amplifier builds here. As for speakers, I've built several projects. I think I've built around 10 or 11 speakers so far. I started out of curiosity a...
  9. H

DIY speakers

I plan to perform some off-axis measurements as well but at the moment itțs really hard to do. I want to build a jig that will allow me to rotate the speaker 10 degrees at a time. For now I use my living-room for building and measuring and it's really hard to work with two kids roaming around...
  10. H

DIY speakers

I really wanted to try the new MD60N-6 dome mid from SB Acoustics. I was looking at it for a while and I hoped it will have a discount at some point but no such luck. I then decided to buy it and build a pair of tower speakers. For the low end I chose the MW19P-8 woofer as it had great reviews...
  11. H

SMSL SU9-n issue

You might have already tried this but it's worth mentioning it....did you try unplugging the device and plugging it back again? It sounds to me like a software/firmware error, considering the button does not work properly either. So try this and if it doesn't work, then yes, open it and see if...
  12. H

SMSL SU9-n issue

Good to know that HiFiGo are a good store. I will keep in mind for my next purchases.
  13. H

SMSL SU9-n issue

This seems like a different problem than the clock chip. If USB is working than it must be something on the COAX/OPTICAL circuitry. Did you try the OPTICAL input? Also make sure you are using a good cable as for COAX and OPTICAL you can have these issues due to a poor cable. The IC I mention in...
  14. H

E1DA Cosmos tests

I tried both with and without the 20Hz and 20kHz filters. There is not much difference. As for you measurements, as someone else mention before, you might want to supply the Cosmos from from a battery pack. I had similar issues when powering from a mains brick. At the moment I'm busy with a...
  15. H

E1DA Cosmos tests

At the moment I only use the stereo mode as I'm missing an XLR connector in order to make the L+R connection for the two input connectors. I'm using a cable I made, with an RCA plug on one end and an XLR male connector on the other end. The hot wire from the rca goes on the + of the XLR. For the...
  16. H

E1DA Cosmos tests

I have about -128dB with no input on the left channel.
  17. H

E1DA Cosmos tests

I was using the D50s for this test. I understand what you are saying about the -13 dBFS as it confuses me as well. My guess is that there is something in REW that I'm not doing correctly but I can't figure it out at the moment. There is nothing that might attenuate the signal. The RCA output of...
  18. H

E1DA Cosmos tests

I changed the input voltage of the Cosmos to 2.7V and I increased the output of the DAC to 2.2V and this gave me the best result, a THD+N of about -106 dB. I guess this is pretty much as far as it can go. I still want to try with the MONO setting on the ADC and using the proper XLR cable that...
  19. H

E1DA Cosmos tests

At the moment it is set to 4.5V as I measured the SU9-n on the XLR outputs and it outputs 4Vrms. I will try to lower the input voltage setting and retest.
  20. H

E1DA Cosmos tests

I used FlexASIO and I unchecked the "use dithering" checkbox from the signal generator window (this made a difference) and the THD+N measurement improved with about 7-8 dB to -103.6 dB. It's still around 6 dB lower than what Amir had but I think this is the limit. I see there is some sort of...
Top Bottom