Search results

1. A

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Once I had a cheap sub with threaded inserts for spikes all the way through the box. It was downfiring and shaking the floor too much so I tried flipping it and make it front firing. Before I plugged the inserts the same way @ROOSKIE did, the turbulence from the inserts (only at very low...
  2. A

intresting (phase) comparision of laser- and microfone meassurements of a (subwoofer) driver (and more)

I agree. With further complications that we have drivers of different sizes and that we put them in boxes and rooms, understanding what is it that we measure usually gets even more complex. What happens at higher frequencies and different measurement positions quickly reminds us that we also...
  3. A

PS Audio sent Erin their speaker??!!

IME "3D" imaging is no magic at all, nor is anything magical about stereo. For extremes in depth, even height perception along the listening axis to happen, the sound field should be such that there's mostly direct sound. By that I mean that anything in the recording which is summed to mono, as...
  4. A

Perceived Recording Fidelity

This is obviously recorded with many microphones but to me very unique because it really makes me believe that my room has no ceiling, or better yet, there's some "cloud" above me, absorbing all the vertical reflections. Upon viewing some pictures online of the actual space, I can understand...
  5. A

Inside Yamaha amps

It won't turn on until power circuit reads that it has stable power. I'm no expert, but it could be anything on the power board in the first picture, loose connection, bad solder joint, failed component, maybe a dodgy power relay... Hopefully someone would have a word of practical advice on what...
  6. A

SO ... HOW do we measure soundstage???

Mine are even pointed to opposite ears and I have no problem with it. I have a head in between and nothing is made for it's transfer function anyway. We are fine at adapting.
  7. A

Inside Yamaha amps

Yeah, but that one wasn't half bad. Look at the sorry state mine was (DSP-a1000): Not only do they tarnish, but also lose springiness. Symptoms are obvious and very audible. A fiddly job, but well worth it. As you say, finding a replacement is impossible. But if you manage to get it to work...
  8. A

Things considering loudspeaker design and room acoustics are all measurable. We can also measure weather the setup is located, aimed and spaced correctly. Within stereo capabilities and limitations, I believe that there's pretty much nothing that's unmeasurable if we are looking at what's the...
  9. A

Well, seeing thread about your setup, I guess that's another way of doing it. I do enjoy some of the "anechoic" effects myself, even though I listen far field. Simple volume control is what brings everything closer, but also more "tangible".
  10. A

I see what you mean. I don't hear my listening room either and a lot has to be done right for having preferable sound field. But that doesn't mean there are no reflections. Brain is used to resolving conflicting information and does this routinely. Many information that are deemed less important...
  11. A

Short answer, watch J_J's presentation I shared earlier, from here: Long answer, watch the entire presentation. There's certainly expectation and filtering. It depends on many factors in signals and listening environment, and not at all easy to comprehend. Some reflections are helpful, some...
  12. A

Dirac Live Exclamation Mark issue

Sorry If I'm being daft, but here are some (to me) interesting measurements of how different length (and quality) of USB cables and devices can affect the signal: I would hope this is a solved issue nowadays? No?
  13. A

How effective would heavy ceiling treatment work here?

IMO the dispersion doesn't have to be specifically narrow, if the loudspeaker has flat DI but also flat FR at a degree off axis to which you toe them in. The benefit is that you balance how much energy you actually give to side wall reflections by missing and not hitting them like in wide...
  14. A

If you have another hour or so, I'd also like to propose this earlier presentation by J_J: What happens when you put your head in a sound field is another problem. Valuable information to someone who needs to know about more problems :)
  15. A

Speakers with constant directivity, either waveguides or horns, or perhaps even synergy horns. Erin explains this on JBL M2 measurements, which has such radiation pattern 800-8kHz:
  16. A

Yes, great job! I would agree that 8c are slightly better performers, however, IMO the OP is getting far too little direct sound either way, even though both are objectively very good loudspeakers. If different positioning/setup of loudspeakers and MLP is not and option, then acoustic...
  17. A

Anyone tried to invert the polarity (impulse response is inverted), time align and average the responses? Anyway, I would try fiddling with the setup first, some curtains as others suggested, perhaps some soft furnishings, something to mitigate the flutter echo. There are many reflections in...
  18. A

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Here's one interesting track where voices are subtly panned all over the place by flipping L and R and then introducing various levels of ILD: I've isolated where they say "One, two, three" on the beginning of the track (after glass shatter), and this is just "One": It is flipped, but not...
  19. A

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

Studios would usually have an ample amount of acoustic treatment. In a normal room, if you set things right, the soundstage width and imaging precision far to the left and right would not at all be limited to how large of a triangle you have, or how far apart the loudspeakers are spaced, if you...
Top Bottom