Search results

1. P

NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review

I should mention I use them bridged using the Normal In (not Lab) with Soft Clipping 'On'.
  2. P

Thanks for that info. I'm still looking to see if I can find anything newer to supplant them with, and if I don't I will most likely have them updated. I would like to A/B a Neurochrome 686 but haven't found anyone locally who has one, and I don' t have the skills/tools to build one myself.
  3. P

Just an update since the last post. First is that I acquired a Primaluna Dialog Premium tube pre-amp. I was not prepared for the changes to the sound once I plugged it into my stereo. Up until then I'd used my 1976 Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver (fully recapped) which I thought sounded quite good...
  4. P

Mark Levinson No. 23.5 vs new Class D power amps?

Class G as in NAD 2200 power amps? I have a pair of those I use regularly. I was pondering whether to recap my 2200 power amps as they sound excellent with my current setup, but are about 40 years old. Or whether I'd be better off looking at a newer Class D amp? If possible I'd want to A/B...
  5. P

With some prices for 23.5 models still in the $2-3000 price zone it makes sense to see where Class D amps are in that price range for similar power and performance. If anyone has actually listened to a 23.5 vs a new Class D I'd be curious to know the outcome.
  6. P

I saw a Mark Levinson No. 23.5 power amp for sale and read up on it, reviews of that time (decades ago) are super positive about the power, performance and capability of this power amp. I got to wondering how the newest (2023/2024) Class D amps that are smaller, less costly (some of them) and...
  7. P

I have an original pair of NAD 2200's that work great. In mono block configuration they sound better then any of my vintage mid-70's Receivers (even recapped ones) with 165 watts/side. With different pre-amps I've gained more detail, but the wide and deep mid-low end, not to mention the grit...
  8. P

PhonoFet2 - discrete preamplifier for MM cartridge

Nice. How were your results? Did they live up to your expectations? Is this build just a project for you?
  9. P

PhonoFet2 - discrete preamplifier for MM cartridge

Hi, do you have any more information and photos of your pre-amp? Any usage with various MM cartridges?
  10. P

Let's talk CD Players!

I had no intention of buying a high end CD player. Why bother? Once HiRes downloads and streaming came of age it seems pointless. But after looking into downloading and streaming I determined I wasn't interested in anything that wasn't physical media. I have a fair set of vinyl, and also...
  11. P

Turntable Cartridge Output Voltage with Vintage Receivers

So in looking at various phono pre-amps I'm trying to understand how you work them. Some have solid state, others have tubes. I see some with the dip switches. How do you configure it to work with your cart? What options/settings does a phono pre have to have? I will most likely keep the...
  12. P

What are the best speakers that try to emulate live music?

I just acquired a used set of Morrison Audio speakers, Model 1.5 from 1993. A friend was over and had them in storage, felt I could put them to use as one of my main stereos is in a rather smallish room. The speakers I currently use are 1978 Genesis Physics Model 3's. Interesting looking...
  13. P

"I Swapped Spotify for Vinyl and It Changed My Life"

I did too. Our family had the all in one stereo wood cabinet, pretty much everything sounded mediocre (even had 8 Track). Once I got my car and put in an expensive Alpine CD system I thought I'd never looked back. From my experience there are excellent LPs and also CDs. It first depends on...
  14. P

I like the fact you can somewhat remove clicks/pops using the Magic feature. Reviews on this seem pretty good. But I also like the PJL reviews.
  15. P

"I Swapped Spotify for Vinyl and It Changed My Life"

If I have guests over, or having dinner, or doing stuff around the house, I either stream digital radio or have my vintage amp and Tuner playing whichever stations I prefer. In these events I don't have time to do critical listening, but I want good sounding music in the house. I also like to...
  16. P

Thanks for the info. After some digging here are a few that I find interesting: PJL Electronics Parks Audio Puffin Graham Slee Accession
  17. P

Thanks to all for their info. This Mani unit looks doable. It would only serve the single TT with the Soundsmith. What setting would you recommend for this cart using the Mani? And are there other phono preamps I can look at within say a $500 or so price range that may be better than the...
  18. P

I have some questions around cart output voltage, in this case as it pertains to vintage (1970's) Receivers and Phono. My first TT is a Lenco (with mods) with a stock arm that came with a Nagaoka Nagaoka MP-11 cart which had around 5 mV output. Next I installed a 9" NOS tonearm Esoter Track 10...
  19. P

Irrational Accuphase Lust

Does anyone have recommendations on how to best setup the phono (disc 1)? At the back of the E-202 for Low Level Inputs > disc 1, R and L are both at Max, and Impedance is at 47k. I'm running a MM cart. Speaker Damping is set to Normal. On the front, for disc and filter (6 buttons), I've...
  20. P

Irrational Accuphase Lust

The arm and cart came from a friend who's into modding Lenco's. The arm is a NOS Esoter Track Ten (same as the Jelco SA-250ST arm). Cart is an Ortofon Red. Arm was in improvement over the stock arm and dropped right into place. I'm open to understanding how I can tweak the amp so the phono...
Top Bottom