Search results

1. R

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home Review (headphone)

I picked up a pair of these on sale figuring they used the same/similar driver to the DT1990 (which I like with the Analytical earpads) and hated the sound out of the box - one of the worst I've heard. Bassy, muffled WTF?
  2. R

Review and Measurements of Massdrop THX AAA 789 Amp

I detest standard sliding potentiometers. They can exhibit imbalances between channels and often get noisy over time, and are an obvious potential weak spot in otherwise excellent amplifiers. It's a shame the AAA 789 didn't at least come with a better quality pot like the Alps, but this didn't...
  3. R

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

I think he just misspelled "audiophools."
  4. R

Headphones for Classical Music

I agree with this sentiment. The Etymotics are amazing as is (for all types of music). However I do EQ my ER4s (as I do all headphones I've owned) to a perceived flat frequency response (to my ears) using a sweep sine wave frequency generator and parametric equalizer. With the ER4SR, for...
  5. R

The (underestimated?) individualism of headphone listening (loose thoughts)

I use a frequency sweep (at a normal listening level) using a sine wave sweep generator and note any significant deviations from equal loudness across the audio band. Then, I EQ as needed based around a reference frequency (I use 1 kHz) so that all frequencies sound of equal loudness. A...
  6. R

MiniDSP 2x4 HD Questions

Along the same lines as the OP, can anyone suggest a DSP unit for a PC desktop system, which would be used for equalizing various headphones? I've used PEQ software like Equalizer APO and Mathaudio Headphone EQ with varying success, but an external hardware unit seems a better and more versatile...
  7. R

Science of healthy eating

When it comes to diet/nutrition and healthspan/longevity, "long term" is measured in decades. Again, you are to be congratulated on taking control of your weight and are undoubtedly fitter and (hopefully) healthier for it. But many dietary approaches can be used to effect weight loss etc., and...
  8. R

Normally one looks to "experts" in a given field - especially one as complex as diet and nutrition - to attempt to arrive at the best answers. Of course experts do not necessarily all agree in lockstep - science is all about disproving theories and evolving knowledge. This unfortunately makes it...
  9. R

Yet another low-carb diet advocacy article from another non-expert. Apparently the author takes issue with the fact that actual scientists who are experts in their field are interpreting data from epidemiological studies - which are of course imperfect - in ways that are inconsistent with the...
  10. R

"The method used" by whom? Not sure who/what you're referring to.
  11. R

Sorry, I missed the tiny print at the bottom of the graphic. The source is listed as a USDA report titled "U.S. Trends in Food Availability and a Dietary Assessment of Loss-Adjusted Food Availability, 1970-2014" located here: https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/82220/eib-166.pdf?v=0...
  12. R

I made no recommendation in my post. I simply posted what health.gov reports are the current eating patterns of many in the U.S., which, contrary to the graphic in your post (which does not have a source listed), do not support the idea that most people are following the recommended Dietary...
  13. R

From health.gov: https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/chapter-2/current-eating-patterns-in-the-united-states/ The typical eating patterns currently consumed by many in the United States do not align with the Dietary Guidelines. - About three-fourths of the population has an...
  14. R

Confused Newbie

EqualizerAPO (with the Peace GUI) is great, but my setup recently stopped working after I switched DACs and probably needs a reinstall. When looking for an alternative, I ran across Headphone EQ. It includes a built-in frequency sweep generator that lets you identify frequency peaks/dips by ear...
Top Bottom