Search results

1. Artsfols

Best indie folk live performance videos of 2023

This is our twelfth annual list of best live performance videos of 2023. The objective is to find acoustic music that can be played on a top quality audio system with a big screen TV. Youtube (Premium) seems to be the best vehicle for doing this, i.e. watch and lisds Don't forget to change...
  2. Artsfols

Turntables as an art form

I'm looking for a turntable but with a bit of a skew on the requirements. I won't actually be using it a lot. I have a few albums and I play them mainly for nostalgic purposes. I've been looking at turntables online: Sony, Fluance, Rega, et cetera. At a $600 to $1200 CDN price point it...
  3. Artsfols

‘Boy feat. Kaiser Quartett’ tops our 2022 playlist at gesprek

Some of you have enjoyed our playlist in previous years and we were at it again in 2022. Our tenth annual folk and acoustic playlist is complete at https://gesprek.net/2022/12/29/boy-feat-kaiser-quartett-tops-our-2022-playlist/ Please have a look at the brief introductory video, and...
  4. Artsfols

A massive stream of exceptional, recent music videos!

Each year around this time, for 10 years now, we begin the process of finding the best folk and acoustic video performances released this past year. The first step is to produce a long list. This year it’s actually a long, long list of over 400 performance videos. It’s all good stuff, culled...
  5. Artsfols

Folk Roots Radio - 2021 year end list of favourite CDs

Here's a list I have come to look forward to. Jan Hall's year end list on Folk Roots radio. This episode contains a track from each of the top 10 for the year. A great source for finding new, outstanding artists in the folk realm...
  6. Artsfols

Australian band 'the Maes' top our year end music list

Our annual year end list of best folk and acoustic music videos is up now. Read all about it at the link supplied below. Link to year end list of top videos ... Please, let's discuss your thoughts about the musicians on this list.
  7. Artsfols

How do you watch youtube and other music videos?

I'll reserve this area for clarifying the options, if needed. I am curious as to how people consume music videos, and the extent to which they do. I allow up to 2, uh 3, choices in the answer, recognizing that people may watch in different modes. Please use the second or third choice only for...
  8. Artsfols

Are the Maes actually better than Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish?

If you have an ear for unadorned folk and acoustic music, then quite possibly, yes. Our panel scored 70 eligible videos (from 7000 reviewed) made in the last year, and, to their credit, some top recording artists, like Eilish and Swift, aren't afraid to step away from the auto-tune, dynamic...
  9. Artsfols

2021 year end lists of one sort or another ...

The full Dutch top 2000 as of the year 2021 has been released. Link to the Dutch top 2000 ... They'll actually start to play the list in reverse order beginning on Christmas Day. I usually tune in for a bit of it during the holiday. There's a button on the site and the audio quality is...
  10. Artsfols

Christmas music

Every few years I update my viewable list of youtube videos featuring Christmas songs. With my churchy Christmas upbringing I favour the carols; Jingle Bell Rock stuff not so much. Here is a link. Link to Youtube list of Christmas music - watch like a concert .... In the late 1990s I would...
  11. Artsfols

Voting open for Dutch top 2000

This is a really big deal in the Netherlands each year at this time. All my relatives and friends there vote, and then listen in to the results between Christmas and New Year. Here is the link. There is a button to flip the site to English. https://www.nporadio2.nl/top2000 It's also fun to...
  12. Artsfols

Folk and acoustic music

One of my passions is to play performance videos on my big screen and 3.1 sound system. This year has seen a bumper crop of such videos. I mostly stick to folk and acoustic music broadly defined. And I blog about this activity .... Folk and acoustic music - discovery playlist - new videos...
  13. Artsfols

LG breaks Dolby Vision with new WebOS release 5.10.04 - June 2021

The problem appears to be limited to people using Denon, Anthem, Onkyo and other AVRs, which is why I reported this issue here. After installing LG's new web OS release on my LG B9 TV, the television began blinking on and off when playing DolbyVision sources on my Apple 4K TV box. Many LG TV...
  14. Artsfols

Troubleshooting the Denon X3700H AVR and center channel ...

Recently I upgraded my music and television system from analogue stereo to a 3.1 system based around the Denon X3700H audio visual receiver. I documented the various perils I encountered along the way on the presumption that this might be helpful to fellow travellers. I'll amend this orginal...
  15. Artsfols

Stereo downmixing through an AVR - effective or add a centre channel?

I'm on the cusp of replacing my beloved Arcam stereo amplifier with a new AVR, likely the Denon 3700. Question - How will stereo sound through the new AVR when mixing down from 5.1? A bit more detail. I have a 2.1 system. Without providing too many details, it sounds glorious when playing...
  16. Artsfols

Upgrade to 5.1? To boldly go where no one has gone before.

It was going to be very simple. I had planned to move from my 2.1 system based around an Arcam A80 amplifier to a 3.1 system based on a Yamaha RX-V6A. Then I stopped reading the advertising, landed on this site (my son's advice) and my simple world came crashing down around me. My general...
Top Bottom