Search results

1. Electric_Haggis

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

I have to admit that I like "imposing" Distance vs diaphragm size = presence. (which is why I also have the Presonus StudioLive 315ai as my front surround trio) I'd just add that, from my listening tests with the Kali IN-8, moving back & forth between my usual distance of around 0.5m and...
  2. Electric_Haggis

Um, yes... Which ones? Anyway, measurement graphs aside - I can say I've done extensive direct A-B comparisons between the brilliant Presonus Sceptre S8 (2-way coaxial), the Kali IN-8 (3-way semi-coaxial) and the KRK 10-3 (3-way non-coaxial), among others. Distance was at 1.5 metres in a...
  3. Electric_Haggis

Strictly speaking, even the IN-8's don't technically have enough bass, in that they don't hit the lowest registers. I've also compared them to the KRK 10-3, and the difference in bass depth is unmissable. (The KRK 10-3 is also fantastic and underrated - but the IN-8 simply has more transparent...
  4. Electric_Haggis

Hi there. If you look up my profile, you'll see quite a few posts regarding my experiences with the IN-8's. They are INCREDIBLY good - especially for the money. Very high-end professional applications are A-OK with these. I also want to add that they're FRONT-ported - A very underrated...
  5. Electric_Haggis

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

I've been doing this for some time now in my edit suite. Computer connects via USB to an SMSL M-500, then balanced out to powered Kali IN-8s. It's supremely transparent.
  6. Electric_Haggis

I keep hearing different things! o_O My understanding was that if a soundtrack is, for example, a simple 5.1 track, then it can upmixed to all channels with Neural-X (maybe other formats too???). See around 3:50 in this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8WTEVA-Sz4&t=353s
  7. Electric_Haggis

Hi all. Considering an AVM70 and really want to use Front Wide channels in my new room. Hoping that it'll be a similar improvement to 7.1 vs 5.1. Can anyone confirm that the AVM70 can definitely upmix ANY 5.1 or 7.1 source (DD, DD+ TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc) to include Front Wides as per 3:50 in...
  8. Electric_Haggis

Thanks! Considering the specs required, it looks like only the Marantz AV7706 or the Monoprice HTP-1 are comparatively priced. The HTP-1 looks to be superior in pretty much every way, so I guess it's down to that or the AVM70...
  9. Electric_Haggis

Agreed... But what are the AVM70's real competitors at or near this price point?
  10. Electric_Haggis

Kali Audio vs. Genelec for Home Studio?

That definitely makes sense, but I honestly haven't heard any significant phasing difference. Really just imaging, which can be corrected with toe-in. I'll eventually get to using some proper measurement and correction with REW or whatever else. But in the meantime, the IN-8s are superb. My only...
  11. Electric_Haggis

Just tested at 0.5m. Negligible difference (although theoretically not recommended;) Bottom-end is extremely tight and focused. I should also add that my room treatment could be better, and my IN-8s are (temporarily) just 20cm from the wall behind - NOT ideal. On the forums, I do see a lot of...
  12. Electric_Haggis

Just for the record, I used to have three KRK 10-3 G2s as L-C-R's, paired with a Marantz pre-pro in two different setups. Largest room was 4.5 x 7m. Distance to MLP was a bit over 3m in both setups. Didn't bother with a sub at the time. Incredibly clean, accurate, full-range sound. Vastly...
  13. Electric_Haggis

Hear here. I had the KRK 10-3 G2 a few setups ago. Make no mistake - it's an incredibly underrated monitor and NOT to be judged along with the rest of KRK's Rokit range, as it's a very different design. And yes - no issues using them as near-fields. I'll be happily buying the 10-3 G4...
  14. Electric_Haggis

Still not a problem! If I sit right into my desk, I'm 70cm away from each monitor. Again - no issues whatsoever. The coax design does help slightly.
  15. Electric_Haggis

That's a common misconception, unfortunately. I've used 5" monitors, right up to larger ones like the Presonus Sceptre, Kali IN-8s and even the KRK 10-3 (with and without subs) - all in a fairly small room at 1 to 1.5m to the MLP, and know of many sound studios that do similar. No problems...
  16. Electric_Haggis

Once you've properly experienced it first-hand in A-B comparisons, it's game-over. You'll never go back to smaller drivers.
  17. Electric_Haggis

I absolutely agree with that last sentence. Not nearly enough attention is given to the sheer "presence" of larger drivers. Also, rear-porting is often a deal-breaker in many setups. Why is nobody mentioning this either? As I said earlier, the IN-8 is an AMAZING monitor - especially for the...
  18. Electric_Haggis

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

Thank you very much. Good to know:)
  19. Electric_Haggis

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

3 questions: 1. From what I'm gathering here, this is the only upgrade I can do without opening up the M500, correct? 2. It unzips to an EXE file, which is PC only. How can I do it on Mac? 3. Is this legit...
Top Bottom