Search results

1. sal

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Yeah. Someone already posted this. I don’t dispute it. I have no horse in that race
  2. sal

16-bit... It really is enough!

Not tonight. I'm done for the evening. Have fun folks ;)
  3. sal

I see. I was confused. We should just settle for 96dB even though we're capable of more. Carry on
  4. sal

Is 16 somehow greater than 20? Is it not bit depth times sample rate = #bits... I'm confused has math changed?
  5. sal

A nerve attached to the inner hair cell can fire on average once every 2 milliseconds. Each inner hair cell has hundreds of such nerves. At what rate do these nerves fire all together? We still don't know, cuz nobody is willing to have probes stuck in there ears to find out. There are nerves in...
  6. sal

At around 1khz, human beings can consciously discern about a 2hz difference, excluding amplitude. You tell me how many bits we could use to accurately represent a 2hz difference including amplitude. My answer is more
  7. sal

I do understand it. If we say that 115dB is the target dynamic range for the limits of human hearing, then 16/44 doesn’t cut it. Does it?
  8. sal

As said 100 time already...everything depends on the recording... That being said, I do find it humorous how people cling to a 40 year old standard that was chosen for multiple reasons, one of which was the capabilities of electronics at the time. The more bits the better (coincidentally, the...
  9. sal

I left that world 20 years ago. It was amazing to me that these 300 year old violins were still being played. Some sold for millions of dollars. You can imagine the incentive for hi res recordings - I don't doubt the study, but you certainly can't sell a new violin for millions of dollars ;)
  10. sal

Well, this was the late 90s, early 2000s when SACD came out. And one of the desires was to be able to record and convey the qualities of Stradivari/Guarneri del Gesu violins in the hands of a master artist. I can tell you that in person, the differences between these and lesser violins was quite...
  11. sal

I’ll take your word for that. But I can also say from personal experience, there was a high level of interest in high sample rate recordings in the circles I ran in. Mostly solo recordings for violin artists. (I was in the video end of things, not studio recording)
  12. sal

DSD is no good for manipulation at any rate. My understanding is that most of the DSD recording lived in PCM at some time...for the purposes of manipulation
  13. sal

“Pushed for it” may be the wrong phrase. They were definitely onboard.
  14. sal

They were also pushing very hard past Redbook... SACD, DSD... high sample rates in general.
  15. sal

I think blind tests would refute that. The question in my mind is why do people still listen to vinyl anyways, knowing the sound is not not as 'good' (including myself). This is the direction the thread was headed, after the OPs claim was shot down with alacrity.
  16. sal

Effects of Altitude on Speaker Frequency Response

Well, I have to say that though I accept the science for what it is, it still seems counter-intuitive to me. It seems to me that a 12" woofer is moving a lot more air than a 1" tweeter. As such, the woofer's mechanical efficiency (and at some point frequency response), is more greatly affected...
  17. sal

Good read, TY. So it sounds like it depends on driver type and that there is 'something' to this, albeit very small. Not enough to throw a system out of balance
  18. sal

Are you sure? That implies that the relationship between pressure and frequency is linear. Is that actually the case?
  19. sal

I'm pretty sure it is settled science that barometric pressure has a direct effect on sound. Might a speaker that measures well in New Orleans not do so well in say Denver, specifically in the bass department? What, if any, are the industry standards for measuring frequency response in speakers...
  20. sal

Whatever gave you that idea? lol It worked too: Admittedly, that's not the fish I was looking for. The White Wale still eludes me
Top Bottom