Search results

1. T

Room correction and impact to DAC

Given that Audyssey and Dirac limit the bitrate of music to 48kHz and perhaps other metrics. Does engaging room correction perhaps negate the more nuanced benefits of a good DAC vs a great DAC internal to an AVR?
  2. T

Looking for Passive Line Level Splitter

I’m looking to split one XLR or RCA (doesn’t matter which) into 3 outputs. I could use 2 Y Splitters but I have to do it twice. I was looking at getting 2 of these devices https://www.radialeng.com/product/lx-3 but they are pretty expensive. Wondering if there are more boxes like this...
  3. T

Result of gain and clipping off Passive Summing mixer

I’m looking at getting one of these passive mixers to do some elaborate summing of signals and inverted signals (notably the left and right signals): https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mix21--radial-mix-21 I’m setting up a Denon AVR to send RCA pre-outs (2v) to the Mix 2:1 with a RCA to...
  4. T

A/B Room Treatments

What's the best way to A/B test acoustic treatments? It's so difficult to listen to them even close to back to back. Would getting a binaural mic and recording songs playing work. It would still be subjective but perhaps would provide some value? I think REW would help but I'm not sure how...
  5. T

Hardboard Diffusion Material

I've got a bunch of absorbers that I'd like to make more diffuse. I was thinking about copying the GIK Alpha panels and adding hardboard in front of some insulation behind some fabric. Does the thickness of the hardboard matter? I could double up on the hardboard if it would let less through...
  6. T

Weird Hypex Amp Measurements for Heights

I recently got a new 8 Channel Amp for my heights and surrounds. Outside of having a bad 3rd channel, I'm getting some periodic weird results in the RT60 graph which I don't understand. I've also never taken measurements using the "Atmos Channel" from file method. So perhaps that's causing an...
  7. T

What is the sonic benefit to improving phase in a speaker

What is the sonic benefit of improving phase response? I’ve got a lot of experiencing EQ’ing with a miniDSP for improving/flattening frequency response but I have no clue what improving phase response does. Also, is it only good to do below a certain frequency? Do I measure from my seated...
  8. T

Lost trying to stream with a nice UI via a TV

I really love my AppleTV for music but it upsamples everything to 48kHz. I have a Denon X4700 and would like to pass non-upsampled 16/44.1 or 24/48 music to it. However, there does not seem to be a great way to do this using the AppleTV. I'm not asking for ultra-hi-res music. Just looking...
  9. T

SINAD of Denon X4700 not in pure direct mode

I’m curious of what the SINAD of the Denon X4700 is when not in Pure Direct mode. I typically run things with Audyssey or at lease a cross over. Any ideas?
  10. T

Measuring Subs+Mains REW workflow

Is the appropriate way to measure subs+mains in REW to use the Java Drivers and then run them L+R? Then to EQ the subs with ASIO on Output 4? Seems that ASIO on output 4 yields a much louder result because it’s LFE.
  11. T

Room Treatment Analysis

Hi All, I'm in the process of analyzing my room. I'm looking to see if there would be value in moving around my existing treatments as well as buying new ones. I have a few constraints: Speakers can't be moved due to in-wall speakers and a mounted TV The existing GIK "Alpha" Panels are...
  12. T

What to do when Dirac won’t center the stereo image?

I’ve done over 50 calibrations since getting new speakers with Dirac and only one has actually had the stereo centered. That doesn’t means the gains are equal, what I mean is that sound in the center is actually centered for MLP. If I turn it off the sounds are right where they are “supposed”...
  13. T

Absorber placement for behind speaker

I have towers that are 4' tall. I had some leftover fabric and built four 2'x2'x4" absorbers which I plan to put on the front wall behind the speaker. My question is how high/low do I put them? I was thinking about having one extend 15" above the speaker then 9" below and then I'm wondering...
  14. T

Did I damage my amp (how to test)

I have an anthem MCA 325. I also have Polk L800 which has atmos modules in the speaker which has dedicated terminals. I used a small class D amps to power the atmos. I was plugging the terminals and accidentally plugged the atmos amp into the mains with the other amp. (I should have had the...
  15. T

Anthem MCA 325 center channel crackle on shutdown

I have an Anthem MCA 325 Gen 2 under a year old. The center channel started crackling through the speaker on shutdown. Almost like power disappearing. Additionally around 200 or so Hz it creates a bizzare sound out of the speaker. I confirmed it’s the center channel by plugging my left speaker...
  16. T

Measurement Style for AVRs

It would be nice to see a different type of AVR review where it would be reviewed with All Channels driven, hdmi in, and room correction on. Most people who own AVRs have this set up. So understanding the Pure sample rate is important; it’s less so when I’m running upmixing (video games) or...
  17. T

Difference between 3" Memory foam vs R19 Absorption

Outside of cost what are the impacts/acoustic properties of 3" memory foam vs R19 insulation? The R19 NRC/STC numbers are well published, memory foam is not.
  18. T

Recommendations for Sequenced Shutdown Power Strip/Device

I don't need anything expensive. However, most sequenced triggered power strip/devices are pretty pricey. Any recommendations. I have a Panamax 5300 but it has a hum too it and I don't feel comfortable with it anymore.
  19. T

Hypex or Purifi Amp with Gain Attenuator

Are there any very clean class d 2 channel amps with gain knobs? I’m interested in the usual suspects.
  20. T

Hypex NC252 vs IcePower 125ASX2

I'm looking at a 12 channel HTD DMA-1275 which is an IcePower 125ASX2 which has 27.5dB voltage gain and attenuation knobs and 65W ACD at 8 ohm: https://www.htd.com/DMA-1275 OR a Nord 8 channel Hypex MP NC252 which has 26dB voltage gain, no knobs, and 150W ACD at 8Ohm...
Top Bottom