Search results

1. P

Interesting looking DACs that are good and cheap

The Schiit Magni 3+ is not unusual looking but it's cheap, and I sent mine back. The volume control was sticky at the 11 o'clock setting, and the sound was flat, harsh, and bright. I was planning to use it as a headphone amp but it was unacceptable. A bit of reading proved that the volume...
  2. P

Looking for a cheap DAC that will remove the noise from a noisy old usb2 windows7 computer connection.

Is there background noise that is not part of the music? I have old (8 years) Dell notebook PC with Win10 that had been upgraded from Win 7.that sounded horrible when music was outputted directly in analog. Lots of distortion at even moderate volumes. Bought an Audioquest Dragonfly Black for...
  3. P

Is there a "best choice" among pre/pro units under $3,000?

I think I just answered my own question. Apparently the X3700H had issues with HDMI 2.1, and Denon's "solution" was to ship people an external box that performs the necessary function. Not cool.
  4. P

I am thinking that I don't need real balanced outputs because my subs will be on cable runs of 20 feet or less. Question: is there a reason to not get the x3700H other than it being last year's model? It has premap outs and can support 11.2. The 105 watts per channel is lenty for me, as I...
  5. P

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. This has me feeling like I should go back to looking at a separate processor and just plunking down the cash for the four channel Emotiva amp when it's back in stock.
  6. P

That is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping to find. Thank you for being so straightforward!
  7. P

I need 11 channels of processing (L, C, R, 2 side surrounds, 2 rear surrounds, 4 Atmos ceiling speakers.) I already have a 7 channel external amp. I can just use four channels of amplifier power from an AVR to power the ceiling speakers. I'm inclined to think I won't really need the balance to...
  8. P

Ohm Walsh Speakers

These were listed on eBay for years. He started out at something like $12,000 for the pair and gradually made his way down to $8,000 over a period of time. When you can buy a single pair properly restored for $1,500 up to $2,200... Wouldn't be that complicated to stack a pair. I've always been...
  9. P

Ohm Walsh Speakers

The early production runs of the F's or notorious for that as well as trying out the voice coils if you pushed them too hard with too much power. It's my understanding that they resolved that for the most part, but they are not a speaker that is suitable for high volumes. I routinely push mine...
  10. P

Ohm Walsh Speakers

If anyone reading this thread is in the North Carolina triangle area, and wants to audition a pair of properly restored FS that have plenty of power behind them in an adequately sized room, you are welcome to come visit me in North Raleigh at a mutually agreeable time. My speakers were restored...
  11. P

Thanks! That looks like a good bet, and saves me from having to spend another $400 to $500 on an extra 4 channel amp.
  12. P

That would work if not for the fact that it sells for $3,500 nearly everywhere in the used Market - sometimes more. I'm targeting something that has an original retail price of about $3,500 but will be available used this fall for $1,600 up to $1,800.
  13. P

The reviews on this site - by Amir - showed significant issues with low-level noise and lack of accuracy in the DACs, especially for music. Both of the models I'm interested in got what we're described as failing grades. With the Anthem AVM60, he stated that it should have delivered the same...
  14. P

I realize this is subjective (to a certain extent,) but is there any AV pre/pro unit under $4K list price that has been favorably reviewed here? (note: I am looking for a used unit in the $1500 to $1800 range.) I've looked at the reviews for Marantz AV8802 and Anthem AVM60, as well as a few...
  15. P

Ohm Walsh Speakers

Hey There Nuprin - My speakers are pretty fantastic in the mid-range, but a teeny bit rolled off in the highs (or so it seems, but this is a tradeoff for omni-directional sound - I think.) Bass does not seem prodigious until I put on the right material and turn up the volume. With the right...
  16. P

Ohm Walsh Speakers

I think a more apt comparison in terms of the overall design might be the NBL Radialstrahker. They have a tall vertical assembly that has some sort of foil ribbons that curve from the top down to the bottom of the center assembly in a long shallow arc. Some of them also have a base module. The...
  17. P

Ohm Walsh Speakers

I don't know where you are located. I'm, in Raleigh NC, and am a happy owner of a nicely restored pair of Ohm F's. They were restored by legendary speaker rebuilder Bill Legall of Millersound (Philly PA area.) I have owned them for 11 years, and each time I did an amp upgrade thy sang even...
Top Bottom