Search results

1. N

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

It didn't happen during a settings change, rather no signal present on power on, than signal through optical in (TV in this case). Maybe my wife changed the input, but certainly not a setting.
  2. N

Actually I had to update the firmware too, even though I've got the SHD two months after the latest FW release. Also the standby noise remains after doing the update. I took a risk by keeping the whole system running during the update process, I just lowered volume. It also produced the...
  3. N

have to update Volumio to 1.099, had 1.073. thanks for the link, will read once again.
  4. N

I've got a new SHD in May. I noticed a constant noise while in standby mode which disappears once you switch the unit on. Strange behavior. My wife also heard a loud bang once, coming from the loudspeakers. She imagined the loudspeakers would break, so I guess it's not a tiny pop-on sound. I'm...
  5. N

My discount was an FX rate of 1,2 that all European sellers keep for themselves, in addition to their standard margin.
  6. N

Just did the same: ordering directly in HK. With customs and Vat will pay +- 1340 euros.
  7. N

That's correct too. I considered that the Studio is half the size and matches the format of most Dacs and the purify amp on my radar. I also can go out over Aes/Ebu to the Dac and balanced XLR out from Dac to amp. If I can control overall volume through minidsp I can also hide dac + amp if it...
  8. N

Good tip! Maybe I should go for the Studio version and use an external dac with even better sinad for the same money. As I don't use analog, I'm not spending on useless functions. Do you know if I have to use the external Dac in preamp mode for volume control or can the Minidsp studio control...
  9. N

Oh... for the moment I just have a notebook hooked to an AVR over hdmi. So I'm starting from scratch. Already decided to get a new stereo power amp, not integrated. Dac and streamer are still open choices. What I like with minidsp is the fact that streamer,Dirac and Dac are integrated, but it's...
  10. N

Does it make sense to use the minidsp shd just in a stereo setup without subs? I just have to correct too much bass in my room because I can't place the speakers away from the walls. Was looking for a Dac to directly feed a power amp, but bass/treble adjustments seem mostly absent. Dirac might...
  11. N

Advice Matrix Audio

Couldn't find any information in the manuals. Soncoz is no longer on the list, it must be possible to use a remote to power on/off the machine. What I still don't understand is how to choose between the chips. ES9038pro seems to be the former flagship and therefore expensive chip with 8...
  12. N

Advice Matrix Audio

I will download the manuals to get some insights on volume control. The whole thing is that this is a mixed setup for Tv and music. It must be easy and safe for the speakers, under operation by the whole family.
  13. N

Advice Matrix Audio

Topping has been on my radar too. I must admit that if they all perform the same I tend to compare the design and Topping is really not my favourite. I will check details about Soncoz. Thanks
  14. N

Advice Matrix Audio

Hi, I'm currently looking into building a new stereo setup. The idea is to use a Dac as a preamplifier for a Purify amp. Getting into the details I'm struggling between few options. Initially I figured out to take an Okto stereo but sold out for months. Gustard X16 looks fine for far less money...
  15. N

Integrating an old hifi with my PC, no experience

I took a used premium notebook from 2012 that is wired to the amp, and I control it with a desktop PC from the other side of the room with Windows Remote Desktop. With little config, the display can stay closed so the looks are decent too. Works pretty well and no need for cables around the...
  16. N

Total noob - How much SINAD do you actually need?

I have been reading through this ...and I have passion for high performance gear. But when it comes to choosing to buy something, pragmatical considerations should have their place too: I'd rather use my loudspeakers than headphones when it comes to listening music and I could buy the absolute...
  17. N

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Lol. I will be strong.... I won't reply. No comment. :facepalm::)
  18. N

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

I know, I know... I just had that 1-second moment after reading the 1st post where I saw obvious similarities between the audiophile & religious communities. It's believers vs science. That's all, will stop here.
Top Bottom