Search results

1. Jim Shaw

The Miniot, a new vertical turntable

Look what The Verrge dredged up: https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/22/23639244/wheel-upright-record-player-review
  2. Jim Shaw

What ChatGPT thinks of audiophiles vs. music lovers

Just for the helluvit, I asked AI server ChatGPT this question. I think it told me what I already knew: An audiophile is someone who has a deep appreciation and enthusiasm for high-fidelity sound reproduction. They often invest in high-end audio equipment and seek out recordings and media that...
  3. Jim Shaw

Sold, Pioneer RT707 Reel to Reel Record/Playback Deck

For sale Sold to a delighted buyer, as is, where is, Pioneer RT707 7" R2R record/playback deck. Probably ~40 years old. Almost like new condition except the tape footage counter needs a new belt. The original owner sold it to me. He said he only played two prerecorded tapes a few times. I have...
  4. Jim Shaw

The Verge Talks About WiiM Mini And Pro

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/8/23571271/wiim-mini-multi-room-streamer-chromecast-audio
  5. Jim Shaw

ELEMENTARY BUT NECESSARY SPEAKER KNOWLEDGE

Kyle at Audio University is a genius at explaining many aspects of audio. Although his target is usually aimed at audio production and recording, his channel often explains aspects of audio that directly relate to playback, even in the home. Speaker capability is important to you, whether you...
  6. Jim Shaw

POLL: WHO IS/HAS USED DSD?

IS DSD IMPORTANT, TRIVIAL, OR A WASTE in home audio?
  7. Jim Shaw

JBL ENDURANCE RUN

I tried a pair and I like them. Neutral tonality... I'm not a bass-head, nor a high hat worshipper. From a recent FB post by Sean Olive:
  8. Jim Shaw

This Could Be Interesting To Concert Lovers

Deutsche Grammophon Concert Subscription Service https://www.stage-plus.com/
  9. Jim Shaw

How Do YOU Monitor A Mix?

10. Jim Shaw

Matter And Thread, What It Might Mean To Audio Gear

The unfolding new standard for home automation, control, and communication seems to center around Matter and Thread. I'm wondering what this could, should, or might mean to music audio gear. My guess is a lot, eventually. Lots of hardware manufacturers (big, important ones) have long since...
  11. Jim Shaw

Not All Of Us Here 'Feel' Watts versus Db and Efficiency

But it should be ingrained in your thinking. And speaker sensitivity matters. Here are a couple of tables to get your head around: To get music louder evermore Takes amps of power more and more For loudness grows like 1-2-3 While power grows like 1-2-4. SPL Spkr sensitivity rated 85dB@ 1...
  12. Jim Shaw

Vinyl -- Deja Vu All Over Again

When will Beanie Babies come back into fashion?
  13. Jim Shaw

Amazon Music's Chief, Interview by The Verge

Lots of background on the music streaming business in a podcast (and transcribed) with the head of Amazon Music and The Verge's Nilay Patel. I learned a lot about the music streaming business from this.
  14. Jim Shaw

Have You Watched "The Playlist" on Netflix?

For those few interested in music streaming and how it got started, you might find this short series on Netflix entertaining: The Playlist It's a semi-historical account, from several perspectives, of the startup of Spotify (in Sweden, English overdubbed). Am I advertising for you to watch...
  15. Jim Shaw

Updated Digital Audio Sampling vs. Perceived Quality OCT 15, 2022

The views of Hans Beekhuyzen are an acquired taste. But for those here wishing to hear yet another short discussion on this topic, you could do worse than this new post. I know that a little bit of arithmetic can be antithetical to just listening. But Hans provides some explanations of why (or...
  16. Jim Shaw

YOUR DREAM SYSTEM

YOUR DREAM MUSIC SYSTEM What would you buy (new) to build your dream (but practical) 2.x music system? No home theatre, just music. Save HT for another post. No vintage, all readily available new today, with a total cost within say the cost of a good used car (U$ 20,000) What musical genres do...
  17. Jim Shaw

New Explainer About Bass Room Acoustics

BASS ROOM MODES, which we just have to manage to live with, is the subject. Over the years, there have been tons of 'arm waving' attempts to show how and why room modes affect music playback. Just recently, Kyle of Audio University uploaded this on his YT channel. I believe he comes closer to...
  18. Jim Shaw

What SHOULD An HT Center Channel Speaker Sound Like?

Why do we test home theatre dialog (center channel) speakers as if they are expected to be like mains? Is it unreasonable to expect HTCC speakers to be optimized for human speech? Yet we persist in expecting them to have the same quality and character as the main front channel speakers. We know...
  19. Jim Shaw

Penultimate Vintage Audio Medium

FOR ALL YOU DETERMINED ANALOG AUDIO FANS I am framing this in a shadow box today. I thought you folks might find it interesting. It's an Al Jolson recording from 1925 or so. Notice the sleeve touting "Electrical Recording." Before 1925, 78 rpm records were recorded with the talent and musicians...
Top Bottom