Search results

1. concorde1

Your Personal EQ's for Headphones 300USD+ (see formatting)

It might be interesting to compare people's personal EQ's for high end headphones (say ~300 USD and up). Formatting: If you want to participate, I'd suggest for clarity put the manufacturer/model in bold and then directly below put your Equalizer APO or equiv. file text. Formatting continued...
  2. concorde1

Topping D90 USB Problem (previously worked fine)

I've had a Topping D90 for at least a year. It always worked fine on my PC (Win10 and also worked on Linux). I just built a new PC, also on Win10. I plugged D90 in to a front USB3 port. This port works - my external hard drive shows up through it. I turned D90 on and installed the Topping...
  3. concorde1

Favourite album of all

What is yours? Mine are: Pink Floyd - "The Wall" (1979) The Alan Parsons Project - "I Robot" (1977) I adore both these albums and think they're about the same thing: isolation. Obviously the latter has a space feel as well but I think at its core it is much more about feeling alone in the world.
  4. concorde1

MiniDSP Flex volume and Preamp volume

Suppose with MiniDSP Flex you have outputs 1+2 going to HPamp/preamp combo, then outputs 3+4 going to two subwoofers. Would there be any sound quality consequence of using Flex to control volume of everything, while the preamp adds fixed gain for the power amp? That is, the preamp is...
  5. concorde1

ScanSpeak Revelator 13" subs

I want to build 2 subwoofers with these drivers: ScanSpeak Revelator 13" 32W/4878T00. https://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/32w-4878t00.pdf Commercial subwoofers are over double the price here than in say the USA. So I think it would be cheaper for me to make them. I have the time and I have...
  6. concorde1

Match RAW to JPEG

When I used to have Adobe Lightroom I could match a RAW file to exactly the same as the corresponding JPEG by just selecting the camera profile included. I tested this and when developing a JPEG with no other changes, it would look identical to the out of camera JPEG except perhaps for...
  7. concorde1

Genuinely hilarious comedy

What are the comedies that warm your heart and make you laugh? For me I find very few comedies actually funny. The one that never fails to impress is the series Fawlty Towers. It is a must watch for anyone who has a sense of humour. I own it on Blu-ray as for some reason it's not on iTunes. I...
  8. concorde1

First measurements in REW (March Sointuva)

My Cross Spectrum Labs UMIK-1 just arrived yesterday. I used it in REW to measure my March Sointuva speakers with a 256k frequency sweep. To calibrate in REW, I used the narrow_band_response_0_degree.txt file that was supplied on the USB stick by Cross Spectrum Labs. The results look poor. I...
  9. concorde1

HD800S vs LCD-2 vs ? for EQ

I've had a few different expensive headphones. The only one that has satisfied me long term is the Fostex TH900mk2 with AutoEQ. I want an open headphone to use with EQ too. I've had an LCD-3 for a year but I think due to this unit's frequency response including its high-Q peaks/dips, it is...
  10. concorde1

Analysis Paralysis - Old CD's and Apple Music

I used to stand by collecting the "best sounding" CD's. I have a collection of ~200 ripped-to-disk CD's, comprising rare non-remastered CD's, the occasional remaster where the original is awful, and some MFSL and "audiophile" CD's like AP SACD's. Earlier this year I made the switch to Apple...
  11. concorde1

Virtual Instruments Too Quiet

When I play my MIDI keyboard into Virtual Instruments, for example Pianoteq (v7.5.4), set to any piano type (default settings of Volume = 0dB; Dynamics = 40dB), the volume is just not high enough. My setup: • MIDI controller: Roland A-88 MKII • DAC: Topping D90 (set to 44.1 kHz; 512 samples...
  12. concorde1

WTB: JBL LSR6332

I want to buy my dream speaker, the JBL LSR6332 ! Left and Right both obviously required. I want like new or near new condition. I am willing to import.
  13. concorde1

Music Production - Virtual Instruments

I am getting into music production. As background I am a beginner-to-intermediate guitarist and pianist. At my level I can read music and play songs, but I can't improvise. I am probably going to go to a school of music. I want to create tracks in computer software that could fit into a video...
  14. concorde1

My March Sointuva Speakers

I received my pair of March Sointuva's in Sheoak wood, after a long wait of nearly three months. With a certain thread here posted during the wait I was a bit worried. These worries have been neutralised. The build quality from what I can tell is tremendous. I did notice a couple of minor...
  15. concorde1

Closed Unsealed Headphone

I might sell my Fostex TH900 because while with EQ it provides the best reproduced audio I've ever experienced, it's not built very well. The reason I don't want a seal is, my first headphone I ever got was the Oppo PM-3, which I kept for a week only, because the seal was so intense I could...
  16. concorde1

15-18" Powered Subwoofer Pair Build

I have March Sointuva speakers on the way. I am considering building a couple of powered 15"-18" driver subwoofers to fill in the low frequencies and take the load off the Sointuva's. • My room is about: 13 ft * 15 ft * 11 ft (l*w*h) • For both music and movies. • I don't mind waiting for...
  17. concorde1

Subwoofer Advice ~2600 USD

I have March Sointuva speakers on the way. In the near future I want to purchase a couple of subwoofers to fill in the low frequencies and take the load off the Sointuva's. • Max budget is about 5200 USD for the pair of subs. • No size limits for the subs. • My room is about: 13 ft * 15 ft *...
  18. concorde1

My Neurochrome Modulus-686 Build

Hi, for the last while I've been designing and building my own amplifier using Neurochrome's Modulus-686 boards. Finally it has come to fruition. I designed my own chassis and built it from 5mm aluminium, having the panels water jetted for holes for connectors and ventilation etc. I used the...
  19. concorde1

Songs That Suddenly Change

I have found these are quite rare, songs that somewhat abruptly change in tempo, volume, musical instruments, etc. The 4 that I recall are: Led Zeppelin - Bring It On Home [about 1:40, guitar and drums come out of nowhere!, and the vocals are different] The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Bold As...
  20. concorde1

"Coolest" Song You've Heard

What's the coolest song you've ever heard? Not necessarily the best song but something with a "chill" factor. My vote goes for "Woke Up This Morning" from Alabama 3.
Top Bottom