Search results

1. D

The meaning of life

What is it...is hi-fi meaningful to you or something else. Maybe the meaning is just to be amply distracted, so you don't have to think about insoluble questions? :rolleyes:
  2. D

Potatoes

I like them, but I rarely cook them. I do the usual baking and boiling, but it is kinda bland and repetitive. What do you do with potatoes? Please leave recipes below (preferably no deep frying, I think it is kinda the easy way out).
  3. D

How to stop picking your nose

Prepare chilli con carne, add sliced chillies, eat and enjoy, absent-mindedly pick nose some time later, stop picking your nose.
  4. D

Fewer

is it a dead word? I rarely see it being used and often hear/see 'less' where fewer would be correct.
  5. D

Brussels Sprouts

It is the right time of year, so are you pro or anti Brussels Sprout. If pro, how do you cook them? In the UK many people boil them, which I'm not so keen on, they are great roasted though. A lot of the bitterness reduces and they get a nice, nutty flavour. I have tried them fried in bacon and...
  6. D

Has anyone else experienced this?

Has anybody else experienced the phenomenon whereby the level at which you can listen to a pair of speakers is not so much limited by its abilities (according to distortion charts), but more a feeling of the speaker "losing control". This experience is all sighted, so take it for what it is...
  7. D

computer voice control

Anybody using voice control for their laptop/PC? I just feel like a lot of what I do with the keyboard/mouse is repeating the same patterns and I'm wondering if voice control has advanced far enough that it can cut down on this and also get me out of a chair a bit more. Anybody using this...
  8. D

types of cast iron cookware

am I right in thinking there are two types of cast iron cookware? I don't mean enameled, but raw cast iron, one is rougher (newer production technique), the other smoother (older technique). I hope I'm not imagining this, but I'm sure I read about this, but can't seem to find any information and...
  9. D

...!?

Do you know...I think I am addicted to using...as a sort of pause/suspense thing when writing, but I feel...I might be starting to overuse it. What are your feelings on ... is there some kind of unwritten rule as to how and when it should be used?
  10. D

Pulley system for computer (USB) cable

Anyone ever used a pulley for a USB cable, rather than having an overlong cable just wound up on the desk. I have a keyboard that I occasionally use with mini USB connector, thinking of setting up some kind of pulley system to stop the strain on the cable when I move from desk to lap, as I think...
  11. D

Being liked

There was a time, on this forum, when I had about half as many likes as posts. I'm not sure if I was being deliberately naughty at the time or was just less likeable then, but I now have almost as many likes as posts and it puts me in a bit of quandary, because while it is relatively easy to be...
  12. D

Making computer work for you (purchasing goods)

I know there are websites that can track prices but I wonder, has anyone set up their own computer program to monitor multiple websites for particular items or prices to drop to level, at which it then alerts you and you can purchase or the program just buys on your behalf? I miss out on some...
  13. D

Is Montana Heaven...?

I've been watching videos about abandoned towns in Montana and it struck me that it might just be Heaven, not that I know anything about the place mind, save for the fact these huge fields with little to nobody around remind me of a heavenscape, if you will. Probably Americans and those that...
  14. D

They are turning off landlines in 2025!

I'm sure other countries will be following suit, but they are turning off landlines in the UK by 2025 (I think). A 'landline' phone will still be available, but it will be VOIP - so not a telephone line in the old fashioned sense of the word, but sent through the internet. I'm not sure how I...
  15. D

Contrary to popular belief...

I am still addicted to fun and learning (in that order, ratio probably 80/20). I don't know who decided I am a Major Contributor, but I renounce this - I do not believe my contribution to be in any way major, save perhaps by post count. So, there you go....just needed to get that off my chest...
  16. D

Should I use an SSD cache?

I have a bit of a conundrum. I have many files to access, but need drives in the same room. I find large capacity 3.5" helium drives too noisy to be in the same room, so I prefer 2.5" portable drives, however due to aggressive (likely internal?) power saving modes, they often spin down and it is...
  17. D

timer plug for usb hdd?

I have a USB3 external hard drive I only want to use for backup purposes. It gets power from a mains adapter. My question is whether is it sensible to use a timer plug to have it run between the hours it would be backing up and then use the timer to shut it off afterwards. Obviously there would...
  18. D

Deleted members

Do you ever see posts by deleted members and think 'I wonder who that was' and if they left of their own accord or got the boot?
  19. D

What are the effects on speakers placed right against front wall for medium/far field distance listening?

Basically, as thread title. I think many Brits/Europeans (probably a distinction without a difference for those from further afield) live in homes that don't have the room to have speakers as far from the front wall as would be optimal for mid/far field listening (say 3 metres +), so what are...
Top Bottom