Search results

1. mikehoopes

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

I procured a custom TRRS 50mm cable with a clear plastic chin slider ("8share 2.5mm 0.78mm") for $26/11 days from an Aliexpress vendor. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832764723404.html I specified no ear hooks, as they somewhat hamper fitment (pulling the top of the shell inward) and tend...
  2. mikehoopes

I tried out the keyboard damper o-rings that @markanini suggested, and they did help me with consistency of seal. I had to increase the gain +1 to +1.5 dB for 5 KHz and up to compensate for some perceived differences (I don't have a measuring rig), so I don't think it helped with max depth, but...
  3. mikehoopes

By the way, I was having a hard time maintaining a good seal with the SpinFit tips and settled on some that I bought 6 years ago on AliExpress (still available): https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832238315475.html
  4. mikehoopes

Nice! Silicone, 5.08 mm ID, 120 pieces for $7; a much better deal.
  5. mikehoopes

Insertion depth was an issue for me and quite few others with the FiiO FH5, to the point where I bought some small o-rings from McMaster-Carr to put on the nozzle to help extend the insertion depth. The depth issue was mostly caused by interference of the shell with my crus helix, if memory...
  6. mikehoopes

Defects happen, and so do replacements and Bayesian updating.
  7. mikehoopes

The low distortion in the bass frequencies is one of the differentiators of this one for me, and the low distortion overall is quite revealing in good recordings. Todd Sickafoose's Tiny Resistors album, with its myriad textural details, showcases this well. This is bar none the best audio...
  8. mikehoopes

I see a forum post that seems to match this: https://web.archive.org/web/20230927221857/http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=57734 ... Re: Best impedance for headphones plugged to Fantom 8 ? Post by FGM » 11:34, 3 September 2020 Roland has finally answered my question and recommends...
  9. mikehoopes

Ordered for $27.33 out the door from Amazon 12/21, received 1/6. The OEM ear tips didn't get me a good seal, so I switched to SpinFit CP145. They have a bit wider aperture, and I found I needed to EQ up the bass on my Qudelix 5K about +4 dB (PEAK, 15 Hz, Q = .2), in addition to the prescribed...
  10. mikehoopes

JBL LSR Quirk?

I have a pair of 1-month-old JBL 305p MkIIs. They're connected to my desktop PC via a Topping DX3 Pro and powered through a couple of daisy-chained Panamax units: PM8-GAV -> M4-EX -> 305p MkII. I have needed a power cycle twice in the last two days. I don't recall any power glitch; I first...
  11. mikehoopes

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Qudelix quietly added an AUTO EQ PRESET tab to their DSP section in the app about 3 weeks ago. These are all of the PEQ settings from https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq. Hopefully, they’ll keep it synchronized. This is a game-changing portable convenience feature, in my view.
  12. mikehoopes

Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

Yes, and wireless. I take this one mountain biking, but am also paired up with my XFINITY cable box and Sony Blu-Ray (LDAC 900 Kb/s on the latter). The PEQ is really the differentiator - esp. with funky IEM tunings (like my FiiO FA7).
  13. mikehoopes

Dosmix Headphone Dongle Review

Apple, apparently. Adding a woven overlay doesn’t really address deficiencies in strain relief. The above picture is another vendor I found on Amazon (“Aluka”).
  14. mikehoopes

Awesome, they increased the cost, while removing what nominal strain relief previously existed. These cables fail at the interface between shell and sheath. This is what strain relief used to look like:
  15. mikehoopes

Apple mainstreamed brittle white plastics and non-graduated strain reliefs. I’d call it planned obsolescence, if I thought mechanical engineers had any influence in Cupertino. Despite its good performance, it was the lowest rated product in the Apple Store app, back when they still displayed...
  16. mikehoopes

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Ok, the buffering issue returned, along with sporadic audio dysfunction (as in, no audio, no audio settings in Windows 10 - blank dialog for Sound Settings). I re-installed 4.82, and it appears to be fine, so far.
  17. mikehoopes

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Furthermore, the driver (4.82) has issues on my PC with recent Windows 10 builds. I'm not sure if it has to do with the concurrent deployment of a Sennheiser MB Pro 1 BT headset, or AMD Radeon drivers for my RX 5700 XT, but I would, seemingly sporadically, get no audio and constant buffering...
  18. mikehoopes

Radsone Earstudio ES100 Bluetooth DAC & Amp Review

I went on a 6-mile trail run this morning with an ES100 and FiiO FA7 in tow, using only my Apple Watch as a source. Brilliant. The FA7 needs EQ to combat mid-bass bleed, and wireless is a real benefit when running. The USB Audio 1.0 limitation of the Qualcomm CSR8675 SoC is a factor that won’t...
  19. mikehoopes

Thoughts on power conditioners?

I worked with Garth when I was an engineer over at Panamax/Furman Sound in Petaluma. Interesting guy, good improvisational musician, avid road cyclist. An avowed “golden ear”, he used to tune power filters by ear, which is anathema to any approach I had - but perception is reality, in the...
Top Bottom