Search results

1. F

Just spoke with Apple about the 3rd gen Apple TV 4k and sending pass-through audio to a receiver

I noticed all audio was being output as PCM or LPCM... I'm still looking for a replacement for my venerable WDTV which does everything I need it to, but in the meantime I've used my AppleTV (3rd gen, not 4k) for all my AppleTV needs: it fills a niche quite well. Recently there was a sale for a...
  2. F

Finally got a Yamaha RX-A3040

Been lusting after this receiver for a long time, and I finally found one for a good price, good condition, and with the original box. In their aventage line, it's the highest end integrated receiver (Yamaha RX-a30X0), and it's the last generation (4th, rx-a3040) to feature multi-channel input...
  3. F

Backbox for Klipsch CDT-5650-C II 6.5" In-Ceiling Speaker

I just bought four of these speakers and I intend on building a backbox for them. The overhead and price is minimal enough that even a marginal improvement will justify it. Sonance publishes schematics for their 6.5" in-ceiling speakers under "Medium Acoustic Enclosure" here...
  4. F

In Ceiling Speakers for 400 sq. ft. home theater recommendations (size and dispersion) for Atmos

Losing my mind here. I have a 400 sq. foot home theater (23 ft x 17 ft x 8 ft ceilings). I currently have a 7.2 setup with RTi10 front towers, RtiA3 surrounds and polk something else rear surrounds (CSi A6 center). I'm going to have someone put blow-in insulation into the attic, before then...
  5. F

Any of y'all ever tripped a breaker?

My house is wired for 20A. I'm continuously surprised how much audiovisual power 20A is. Hooked up I have my pioneer Kuro plasma rated around 600w, my yamaha M65 amplifier rated around 600 watts, my sony STR-DB930 receiver (as an amplifier) also 500 or 600w, various little stupid electronic...
  6. F

Technical explanation of Atmos and DTS:X?

Once again I'm confronted with the dichotomy of understanding. In the one corner: the layman explanation provided for by the dingest of dong youtubers. In the other corner, the math heavy white papers of concepts that take years of industry specific knowledge to understand. Then here I am...
  7. F

CX-A5000 emitting a high pitched whine...

When playing the Hans Zimmer Live in Prague concert (Atmos, but TrueHD in the CX-A5000). Enabling pure direct alleviates but doesn't remove the whine. Prior RX-A810, and RX-A2030 did not have this. IMO the RX-A2030 actually sounded a bit better. I'm suspecting room correction is the reason...
  8. F

Hans Zimmer: Live in Prague, Blu-Ray 2017 - Pushed my HT to the MAX unlike ANY movie I've ever played

Ho-ly - shit. Nothing NOTHING I have EVER played has stressed my system this much. I was in legitimate fear that I would blow the breaker, and I'm now seriously considering finding another outlet to plug in the plasma TV or something to relieve the pressure on the single outlet. When I mean...
  9. F

How do I test equipment with an analog o-scope?

I'm simply curious. I have an analog o-scope, and a ****** function generator. I'm wondering how I can test equipment? I even have a couple power resistors, although I don't see why a lightbulb wouldn't work lol
  10. F

Why do RCA cables have a 75 Ohm impedance?

I don’t get it. does this mean cables of different lengths need to be made of different materials? where does the impedance even come from?
  11. F

Can Electronics cause this effect (Snare-Drum like resonance from Piano sounds)

This is kind of far out there but something I noticed... I have a Yamaha RX-A810 in "Pure Direct" mode playing lossless FLAC audio from USB --> Yamaha M-65 --> Polk Audio RTI10 towers. I'm noticing this really unusual phenomenon when listening to piano music. A really accurate description is a...
  12. F

RTI10's sound shrill

I have my RTI10's, and they're great, except certain songs (phil collins - in the air tonight) produce this incredibly shrill sound. I use the following setup: [spotify or itunes] --Airplay--> appletv --HDMI--> yamaha rx-a810 in "pure-direct" mode --coax--> yamaha M-65 --copper--> RTI10. Is...
  13. F

Just picked up a broken Yamaha MX-1000

I already have an M-65 power amplifier, I’ve now picked up an MX-1000 that according to the seller has a “blown fuse”. I plan on dropping both of them off to get serviced, the M-65 to remove the Sony glue, the MX-1000 for repair and service. I plugged the MX-1000 in. It appeared to power on...
  14. F

Yamaha Aventage RX-a810 vs RX-Z7 and RX-Z11

What functionality would I lose if I went from a Yamaha RX-A810 to an RX-Z7 or Z11? Could the Z7 or Z11 be used as standalone amplifiers hooked up to a dedicated digital receiver/DAC for future upgrades to [insert latest technology]? I’m contemplating going this route as a way to upgrade my...
  15. F

Hello

Hello.
Top Bottom