Search results

1. F

Just spoke with Apple about the 3rd gen Apple TV 4k and sending pass-through audio to a receiver

I think I'm going to chuck the 4th gen AppleTV and return to my 3rd gen. The WDTV media player is still the best media player ever made, and as I'm only on a 1080p TV, I should be fine
  2. F

Just spoke with Apple about the 3rd gen Apple TV 4k and sending pass-through audio to a receiver

Google is Spyware. Everything google "offers" is spyware. Fuck google, fuck the surveillance capitalist business model; the dystopian hydra. I just did an update on the AppleTV, and it still only sends PCM and not pass-through audio. Apple's Airplay should be lossless, although its 48kHz...
  3. F

Join me in hating all of tech. The AppleTV would be legitimately good if it didn't require logging in to do anything, and supported native pass-through (or even non-native, except apple drew up a berlin wall around their precious devices, so you're stuck with what you're force-fed).
  4. F

I wanted to like the nVidia shield TV Pro right up until I unboxed it, hooked it up, and got forced into a google login before I could do anything. Instant dealbreaker and into the proverbial trash. In fairness, to load VLC, I had to sign in with my AppleID. Man do I miss simple administrator...
  5. F

I am playing blu-rays. VLC can connect to my local NAS. I want the decoding to happen on my receiver, b/c Yamaha knows what they're doing, and i'm not sure how/where their room EQ is implemented (analog or digital side).
  6. F

Why would you even reply to this thread if it doesn't apply to you? That's what I want to do, however AppleTV refuses to do pass-through.
  7. F

The type of response expected from an apple fanatic... DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, FLAC, AAC....
  8. F

the issue is how audio is output.... it's processed rather than sent pass-through (which requires like zero hardware overhead). It's a limitation of the AppleTV that apple implemented after taking who knows what drugs
  9. F

I noticed all audio was being output as PCM or LPCM... I'm still looking for a replacement for my venerable WDTV which does everything I need it to, but in the meantime I've used my AppleTV (3rd gen, not 4k) for all my AppleTV needs: it fills a niche quite well. Recently there was a sale for a...
  10. F

Dolby Atmos Critique Video

The microphone is on the remote ;)
  11. F

Sure, but I'm pretty sure they demand a sign-up process so you agree to their "terms and conditions". The nVidia Shield has a microphone. There's no reason to believe they're not listening to everything.
  12. F

I got one and immediately returned it, the nVidia Shield, a hardware device I just spent $200 on, required a google account to use. In the proverbial trash it goes.
  13. F

And to be clear, I'm neither a proponent of industry or a adversary of open source solutions. I'm well aware of what the open-source model has brought to the world. It simply doesn't apply here. It just doesn't.
  14. F

Actually I can't let it rest at that. You pointed to a stanford website about audio technologies. That's not a solution, that's an idea that exists in fairy tale land. The delta between that and my home theater room is so huge, you could fit planets inside. Good luck getting that...
  15. F

I'll look into this, but my hopes are not high. My experience with open source software, when looking for a solution, has been one of pain and suffering for mediocrity... It's almost always a disorganized mess of crap with a few nuggets of excellence scattered throughout.
  16. F

I guess I wasn't super clear. I guess I meant to say "Dolby should create an open standard" shows a bit of naïvety. What Dolby does takes an enormous amount of overhead and research dollars. The same thing cannot be achieved in the open-source realm. Dolby does "deserve" credit for their...
  17. F

Dolby is a for-profit enterprise in a capitalistic market, and is seemingly trying to create a winner-takes-all environment (or maybe that existed already?), similar to intel/amd in the CPU space. This is Dolby's prerogative and to fault them for that demonstrates a naïvety about how the free...
  18. F

Yes, his novel "Brave New World". It's a term I coined, where essentially nobody owns anything, and overlords give us whatever and everyone accepts it and is grateful. It refers to the subscription based model that technology has taken on (pioneered by google and its cloud method). This...
  19. F

Denon AVR-A1H

Doesn't have multi-channel input to work as a separate power amplifier. What a tragedy.
Top Bottom