Search results

1. M

Why do you think a few members have an 'alcoholic anonymous' vibe towards the audiophile community? It seems a harmless hobby as far as things go?

I am a sucker for fancy aftermarket bike parts so I can relate. Paying 5-10 times more for something ridiculously over-engineered that lasts 2-3 times as long is objectively dumb, but it looks nice and makes me enjoy it a lot more. Having said that, over-engineered is IMHO just a slightly less...
  2. M

New music discovery?

Roon is okay for discovery, it gives you recommendations for new releases and also provides lists of recommendations for each album, current and all time. Not sure that’s a main selling point for Roon though. You can also use last.fm with it, they have a much larger user base. Algorithms are...
  3. M

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

More crust punk than metal, but lots of fun, well made and with some ‘proper‘ killer guitar soli. The Hope Conspiracy.
  4. M

Moondrop problems

The 145 has a 4.5mm diameter (guess that’s part of their model naming). Sits pretty tight, even the cat has trouble now removing it (I can tell when I put it in and it’s soaking wet…).
  5. M

Moondrop problems

The SpinFit CP145 fixed the exact issue for me.
  6. M

What are we listening to right now..

Critics don’t love their new one, but like all Baroness albums lots of great stuff you discover with every listening. And nobody does catchy and heavy as good as they do.
  7. M

NAS for newbie

I used his old tutorial with a Pi4B running DietPi and it’s running for almost 2 years now without issue. I’m using it as NAS and Roon endpoint. His new tutorial looks a bit easier for someone IT illiterate. Without Linux experience, it might be still a bit overwhelming though.
  8. M

Should I use an SSD cache?

Initially I thought I’ll use it as semi-backup (I know RAID is not a backup) together with AWS when I set it up, but then realized a second local disc backup is cheaper and much faster than a full recovery from S3 Glacier. Will take a while until I fill it up, so I’ll keep it as RAID for now.
  9. M

Sorry, 10 Raid it is. But with all the backups not sure I need the redundancy at home.
  10. M

To give an answer to the original question: If you want a consumer grade turnkey solution, I think QNAP supports different tiers where files are moved to a slower tier if not accessed within certain time. But as others said, SSDs are cheap now. I’m using restic to backup 4 SSDs (in a Raid 01+0)...
  11. M

Drummers you can't mistake

Ben Koller.
  12. M

Review of the new Schiit URD

That’s the new pitch? Show them ASR cultists by buying this overpriced design piece? Might actually work in these stupid times we are living in…
  13. M

Why is professional audio in the WFH age so difficult?

Both Teams and Zoom caught up and provide far more audio options now. “Don’t adjust mic sensitivity” fixes the volume issue. I use a shotgun mic to not have anything in frame and it works well. The MKH416 is overkill and not ideal inside, but it sounds very good in my room and the resell value...
  14. M

What do you like in Roon?

I’m aware of the RME advantages, that’s why I’m a very happy owner. And I am in Apple’s walled garden for over 25 years and used Apple Music exclusively for 5 years, but I’m not seeing myself going back anytime soon. Dolby Atmos is certainly interesting, but not really a thing yet in genres I’m...
  15. M

In RME threads, you have always people saying EQ is better done in software. In Roon threads, you read a variation of this. Both have their advantages and I use both. On my desk, my RME has multiple inputs and outputs I don’t really change and EQ, once set up, just works. For other rooms, I only...
  16. M

I unfortunately did and then ended up buying the lifetime license when the 12 month was up for renewal. At least it was before the price hike.
  17. M

Ask me questions.

My mileage: RME is very nice for a desk setup when you regularly switch between the same headphones and IEMs. It automatically sets the EQ to the output used. Also if you use multiple inputs, PEQ works for all - in my case Roon from the RPi and everything else from the Babyface. Just posting to...
  18. M

How to find 'non-commercial' Artists?

Like all private businesses, they will remove content they deem inappropriate or violate their terms of service. Not sure shadow banning would have a meaningful impact here even if exists. People discover largely unknown bands from recommendations from people or sites they trust. Bandcamp has...
  19. M

Since I have used IEMs for a long time,

Don’t get medical advice from the internet. If these are new IEMs and you wore them for hours without breaks, it is possible your ears are just sensitive to certain frequencies. Once you are pain free, keep your listening sessions under an hour and eventually your ears get used to it. In...
Top Bottom