Search results

1. Tokyo_John

Audio systems and earthquake preparedness

I looked before on this site for discussions about securing audio gear for earthquakes, but didn't find anything. There may not be many of you living in earthquake prone regions, but for those who do it might be useful to have a thread to share ideas with one another. Ideally we want to keep...
  2. Tokyo_John

Moving house…

This is my entire system, cables included, all packed in boxes (except the March power amp, which is already out of the box). I’m glad that I saved my boxes! It is difficult to imagine moving the KEF LS50 Metas and KC-62 without them. When the rest of the furniture arrives, I very much look...
  3. Tokyo_John

Designing an entertainment center from scratch, best bookshelf speakers and subwoofer integration?

I'm gearing up to build an entertainment center (EC) from scratch for my new place, and a lot of questions are coming up as I envision different design possibilities. Of course aesthetics are a priority, but I think this is compatible with sonic qualities (these are not mutually exclusive). At...
  4. Tokyo_John

SVS SB-3000 vs. KEF KC62...which would you choose for same price?

SVS SB-3000 vs. KEF KC62...which would you choose for same price? EDIT (more details): Not the Micro...the full SB-3000. Space isn't an issue. Mixture of music and movies. Will use a miniDSP. I want fast and accurate bass. Main listening area is 4m wide x 7m long x 2.2m ceiling.
  5. Tokyo_John

Best Budget DAC for Subwoofer Downstream of miniDSP SHD Studio?

I'm getting ready to add a subwoofer to my system (moving to a new place with a larger space) and I've become interested in the miniDSP SHD Studio, primarily for running Dirac. The SHD Studio handles up to 24/96 with output via SPDIF RCA or AES-EBU XLR to 2 separate DACs...one for main speakers...
  6. Tokyo_John

Machine learning and digital audio

In recent years machine learning (e.g., training neural networks) has become common in many domains. I use it in my own research, I have a graduate student working on a project to determine the travel time of seismic waves traveling through Earth’s interior in order to expand our dataset beyond...
  7. Tokyo_John

MQA vs. Non-MQA, Empirical Measurements

As a newer member of ASR, I've learned a ton from reading posts on a variety of topics that use relevant empirical data in order to cut through the snake oil of audio marketing. This is a great service to audiophiles, a way to provide some ground truth that can focus our energy on getting the...
  8. Tokyo_John

DSP software for both recording and playback?

I am interested in using DSP for both of the following applications: (1) Room correction for studio recording (mostly voice). I want something that will correct room modes/resonances from the audio recording itself. (2) Room correction for playback/listening through loudspeakers, to fix room...
  9. Tokyo_John

Dali speakers

I see relatively little discussion about Dali speakers here, and nothing in the master review index. I wonder why? My impression is that these are popular speakers, with a reputation for delivering detail as well as musicality. Perhaps they are more common in Europe and Asia, than the US? I know...
Top Bottom