Search results

1. M

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Not at all. A Fosi is lame, even if the performance is OK, because of that dongly power adapter. This Wiim Amp has no need for an external power adapter nearly as big as the amp itself, one more of these annoying devices buzzing and humming and littering the outlets around your audio/video...
  2. M

It's probably possible to perceive the touch of tip up or down at 10kHz because there is usually some musical data there in most recordings but at 20kHz, only young people not hearing damaged by earbuds can even hear it, and there is rarely anything of audible or musical significance up that high.
  3. M

Why is anyone comparing this all-in-one amp to separates, high end or otherwise? It's a modern convenient budget product that can get ordinary folks into a pretty good quality of music playback at home. Even $1000 would be enough for a great simple streaming system that can connect seamlessly to...
  4. M

WiiM Amp discussion

Mine has ZERO noise except when it's actually playing. Even with ear directly over the unit, I hear nothing. Very impressive. Very low noise at speaker, too -- even with 94 dB/W tweeter. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, it's so nice not to have a massive external power brick! The direct AC...
  5. M

WiiM Amp discussion

Really surprised this hasn't been reviewed by @amirm yet!?! I'm totally impressed by my sample received 2 wks ago & would love to see ASR measurements. AFAIK, the Yamaha WXA-50 is its closest competitor (in terms of features, power) but it's 2.5x the price.
  6. M

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

But AFAIK, you did not review the Pro version, did you? So then are you comparing the Plus to the standard Wiim (puck) version which you reviewed?
  7. M

wondom vs dayton audio

I'm very interested in the answer too. Just picking up the DA version.
  8. M

Topping DM7 Multichannel DAC

I'm guessing you've sold this?
  9. M

A source for used NTI M2010 Class 1 measurement microphones.

You nabbed a fantastic deal! I used a 1" ACO Pacific mic capsule + preamp (which the capsule screws into) + dedicated 200V power supply for extremely low noise measurements for 10+ years. The self noise was literally inaudible under almost any conditions (something like 5 dBA) -- even at max...
  10. M

Ghent DIY Aluminum case.

:rolleyes:o_O Right, of course; doh.
  11. M

Ghent DIY Aluminum case.

Is this case predrilled for Hypex or other amp modules?
  12. M

The Truth About Vinyl Records

Kudo to the OP for a nice exposition. I wasn't fully aware of the fine early details, Edison's work etc. Still amazing the processes employed to make vinyl LPs work as well as they do. The only thing missing is any mention of off-centered records, is a real & serious phenomenon. Perhaps the...
  13. M

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Yup, also true for me -- no substitute for quality in the original. I'd rather hear a good recording of a good musical performance on a lower res MP3 or vinyl than an audiophile approved piece (often labelled jazz) on DSD. But while I admit some vinyl sounds as nice as the best digital...
  14. M

Of course. Even NAK Dragons are about as hard to sight as the mythical creatures they're named after, tho, and predictably pricey. And still utterly inconvenient. No thanks. Give me a good digital music file almost any time.
  15. M

Off-center records are the norm, there are virtually none that are perfectly centered. This means every LP has a certain degree of "wow" -- pitch distortion -- built into it. And the closer to the center, the worse the effect. People with exceptional pitch perception hear this plainly. Worst...
  16. M

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

Great work in examining all of these details in your system & making corrections! Such precise time alignment is probably audibly beneficial at the higher frequencies. One question: The wavelengths of low bass frequencies (say 60Hz and lower) are long -- ie, A 20 Hz wave has a cycle time (360...
  17. M

Multi-Channel, Multi-Amplifier Audio System Using Software Crossover and Multichannel-DAC

Good find of the dome cleaning video! Two questions for any Russian speakers here (I presume that's the language in the video? Correct me if I'm wrong!): 1. What's the liquid in the syringe he's using to soften the rubber ring seal/glue? Alcohol? 2. The liquid in the plastic bottle must be...
  18. M

Here's an on-axis FR @ 12" + distortion sweep of a used JA0801 BE dome mid (Yamaha from NS1000) that I did a while ago. It's only one sample, but the other one I have measures pretty closely. I failed to record drive voltage. I'm pretty sure it was not much more than 2.8V -- ie, quite low, so HD...
  19. M

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

So Michael, this is news to me! Have you documented this in more detail elsewhere? Re: "you can input 1 stereo AES signal, use CamillaDSP to do DSP / x-over / routing and then output processed 4 way analog signals." -- so where would that input go to? Can you use a USB connection for output from...
  20. M

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

As dualasmak already posted, definitely yes. From a PC with appropriate software, or via dedicated DSP. The cheapest device that could do this is a miniDSP nanoDigi2x8B, which is still available but being discontinued. However, its filter options are relatively limited and its output is 4 SPDIF...
Top Bottom