Search results

1. RobL

Jay’s iyagi tours Samsung Audio lab

Interesting video regardless of how you feel about the creator. I was a little surprised to see Samsung using Genelec speakers in their reference multichannel room lol.
  2. RobL

Immersive room, where do I start?

I’m going to renovate my basement this winter and have decided I want to build an immersive audio room. :) I have a room available that’s about 15’ x 20’ but only about 7’3” high. Would this be suitable? I was going to move my 8361’s down there for a start but not sure where to go from there. Is...
  3. RobL

Column type PA

I’m thinking about buying a column PA for parties/gatherings…does anyone have experience or recommendation? Am looking at the EV Evolve 50.
  4. RobL

Crest factor - how detectable is it?

On this page there are two samples of music, one with a 20dB crest factor and another of the same piece with the crest factor trimmed by 6bB. The author feels that no one should be able to pass a double blind test comparing the two files. On my system at home I feel I can pretty easily identify...
  5. RobL

I’m at a wedding reception and

these speakers suck: No need for a review, you can take my word for it. :)
  6. RobL

GLM update imminent?

Just noticed this event notification. In it they state: Sounds like GLM is getting some new tech maybe?
  7. RobL

Genelec 8361A - Pair - Producer Grey ***Off for now***

I have a pair of 8361A’s for sale. Looking for CAD$9500 (US$7000) for the pair. These are my babies, absolutely mint. My wife just can’t get past them aesthetically, lol. I have the packaging etc for them as well. I love these speakers but am thinking of going to S360’s to get a more...
  8. RobL

FS: Pair of JBL 705P ***SOLD***

Excellent shape, very little use have upgraded to larger monitors. There are some marks on the bottoms from their stands. Purchased new, one owner. I don’t know of any other 5” monitors in this size that can produce the shocking bass and SPL these are capable of. Imaging is superb. Amazing...
  9. RobL

Does GLM alter the sound other than trimming peaks/boosting nulls?

On a whim I turned off GLM on my 8361’s and reverted to simply using the DIP switches to trim the bass. I’ve had them like this for a few days now and I’m finding I actually prefer this to what GLM was doing. They sound much more “interesting” to me. Now, I had to shelve down the highs a few dB...
  10. RobL

Anyone get pics of the Aurora last night?

Apparently there was a class G4 storm last night. Aurora were very bright and visible as far South as New Mexico! I got a few pics with my iPhone from here in Southern Ontario:
  11. RobL

Audio equipment that appreciated in value?

Most audio gear depreciates pretty quickly but I’ve owned a few pieces that I actually sold for more than I paid. A few Marantz receivers (2385, 2230, 2220), a McIntosh amp and preamp (MC2125 and C28), and a guitar amp (Valco Supro 16T) are the ones I remember. I am seriously considering making...
  12. RobL

Distributed Mode Loudspeakers?

Was reading about DLM (distribted mode loudspeakers) transducers and thinking they might make great rear surrounds. I have watched a few video like this one below and have heard them claim more than once that this type of speaker creates a diffuse sound field that causes NO reflections…umm, is...
  13. RobL

Worthwhile books on audio engineering/design

Received this book for Christmas and am working my way through it, 460 pages though, lol. Excellent book that deftly explains the challenges speaker designers face. I have Dr. Tooles book as well. Are there any others you could recommend that are worth investing in?
  14. RobL

Nulls in mids and highs not detrimental?

On a different forum I’ve seen it asserted that you don’t need to worrry about higher Q nulls in the mids or highs who’s frequency doesn’t correspond to any actual notes of the diatonic scale. Any truth to that claim?
  15. RobL

Antique driver?

I found this old compression driver in a box of junk. Can anyone identify it?
  16. RobL

Imaging: coaxial vs. traditional layout

I have a bit of spare time today and thought I’d do a little comparison of my 8361A’s vs. my 705P’s, at lowish levels and about 4’ and 10’ listening distances. It’s been mentioned here that coaxial drivers lose their advantage (re: immediate integration) outside of near field conditions. When I...
  17. RobL

F/S - Paradigm PW Link

For sale is a Paradigm PW Link. I bought it to play around with Anthem Room Correction, which works quite well. I’ve moved on to Genelec w/GLM, so no longer have a use for it. Comes with an ARC microphone, cables and power supply. I don’t have the manual, but you can download it on Paradigm’s...
  18. RobL

Genelec apparel

I see some nice t shirts, hats etc. on Genelec’s webshop, but they only ship to EU. Is there anywhere on this side of the pond that you can buy their stuff?
  19. RobL

8361A’s - First Impressions

Well they showed up a day early and it’s raining here so I’ve had some time to set them up. Out of the box I set them on the stands my 1032A’s were on in the same location. Connected to my Rme Adi2 fed digital from an Airport Express streaming Apple music high res over airplay. First listen -...
  20. RobL

Genelec video explaining DIP switches

Genelec just posted a video explaining how to use REW and the tone controls on the speaker to improve response. It’s not going to be a revelation to most here, but a pretty good tutorial for the tech challenged. Something I learned - the DIP switches can be summed. Activating -2dB and -4dB at...
Top Bottom