Search results

1. L

What is the point of CD rips?

Ripped it once in mp3 in 2005, and I flaced my entire CD collection 2 years ago. It stays on two different disks. The hardest part is actually finding a computer with a decent cd player... I barely use streaming as I don't want to pay for it, I use the free version to listen to new stuff, and...
  2. L

Someone explain this bizarre 3-way

I thought at first it was some sort of crazy diy job where the builder covered a botched baffle on the side with corian. The metal rods will introduce some ringing, so the concrete pipe from side to side are a way to minimize that, and adding some rigidity, that would be my guess.
  3. L

Balanced interconnection and ground

I use these: https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xlr-connectors/xlr-chassis-connectors/a-series?c=audio and more precisely, this one: Female connector -1 = mating connector shell to pin1 and front panel This way, I never had ground loop issue: pin1 connects to the shell and the chassis...
  4. L

How loud do you like your music?

I have moved my genelec 8030C on my desk, and they are now roughly one meter from my head. They are connected to a DAC, which is connected to my computer. I have to crank down to 6% volume on the computer, more than that and it is uncomfortable, I will measure tonight how much SPL it means, but...
  5. L

Magico M9

you are right, it's suspiciously the exact same number and almost same arrangement of boxes too! There has to be a pattern there! Joking aside, I'm quite curious as to what kind of stuff they stack there. I can see 4 monoblocks? There is probably one preamp, one dac? What are all the other...
  6. L

Magico M9

Well, it's 1/24 smoothing for the FR so it is not _that_ bad, but I agree for 750K it should be a lot better. My own DIY speaker (dsp, three way) has a better FR.
  7. L

Magico M9

What are all these 12 appliances for? These speakers are multi-amped with an analog crossover, what is the point?
  8. L

Found a TPA3255 4 channel module on AliExpress

Tu My minidsp shd acts as an analog pre-amp (balanced) to the tpa3255 so it amplifies the hiss quite a lot, but the hiss is still present without the dsp. The new tpa3255 from 3eAudio seems a lot better in that regard, but it's almost double the price of the previous model.
  9. L

I also had a 3Eaudio 3255 but only two channels, and it had the same hiss. I used a 3eAudio SMPS with both. I should also add that there is a minidsp shd in the chain which significantly amplifies the hiss. Could be my setup, but as my final build will be with nc400 (still need to source 2...
  10. L

yes, my 96dB woofer hisses a lot less, so I would guess at 86dB you hear almost nothing.
  11. L

I have one of these and they make a loud hiss (on a 108dB sensibility compression driver...), so loud as they are not useful for a hifi setup. My hypex doesnt exhibit any noise in the same configuration: you get what you pay for.
  12. L

Speakers that are unforgiving of poor-quality recordings - is that a thing?

Distortion will be audible on crappy recordings, like some jazz DOL reissues of classics versus the blue note ones.
  13. L

50' XLR cable recommendation for listening room

Mogami will be fine, I would go for 2534 because I use starquad. For this kind of custom job, you should consider doing it yourself, it’s not as hard as it looks and you get the perfect length.
  14. L

Does adding a sub to kef R3 reduce the listening fatigue?

as you can see from the schema, the bump around 5k 6k is perceived as overly bright, which usually translates into listening fatigue. What you are experiencing is thus confirmed by the measurements. You could use a bit of EQ to tone it down in this region, I would try this before buying subs...
  15. L

DIY audio, where to get started?

DIY will be rewarding, if you like to build things by yourself. If you want to optimize financially, you have to go for the high end build or things which are not readily available on the market i.e: - fully active 4 ways with DSP, - 3 way speakers with 15 or 18 inches woofers and horn loaded...
  16. L

Switching from A/B to D - Looking for Insights

Fantastique in french as "Fantasy", not fantastic: bad tanslation.
  17. L

Fixing below 500Hz

That doesn’t look bad at all for a in room fr . Maybe you should look at other curves for Dirac, like Toole or b&k. The standard one sound bland.
Top Bottom