Search results

1. R

Review of $4000 Revel 126be vs. $350 Wharefdale.

I couldn't resist.. I own a tower version of the Revel be line of which I'm continously happy with, but maybe I could have saved lots of money, bought a cheap speaker of a 10th the price, and with a few mods, brought it right up to the Revel level, or better. I'm not sure I'd want my "$20"...
  2. R

Leave it on all the time, or turn it off?

Going back to some of my first pieces of audio gear, the salesperson or shop would often say, "leave it turned on all the time", as it supposedly lessened wear and tear by eliminating the warm/cool cycle. Just recently considered rebuilding an older A/B amp and was told to never shut it off. "I...
  3. R

Integrating subs with Minidsp SHD, should you block main speaker ports?

I'm moving to a digital front end with a Minidsp SHD. I have 228be's with front ports, mating with two sealed JL subs. Before digital I used a JL CR-1 crossover. In discussing integration with the JL rep of that time, he was adamant that I needed to plug the main speaker ports in order to have a...
  4. R

Primaluna preamp - measurements

I have a beautiful Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp. I've recently evaluating going straight from dac to amp. I like both. Most music better through the tubes but some better straight pathed. I'm just learning to read measurements and obviously the Primaluna is much higher distortion, much...
  5. R

Rebuild a McCormack DNA - 1 with "Gravity Base", or move to Purifi?

I have a McCormack DNA-1 that's just hit 30 years old. It was rebuilt once in 1999. Still functions perfectly and still retains its sort of punchy warm sound. Subjective opinion obviously, but it always had a really nice musical personality to my ears. However, it's getting quite long in the...
  6. R

Impedances, input, output, component matching, what to avoid, what to look for, how to navigate.

Long time audiophile, new to ASR. I searched forums for this question but can't find a clear explaination. I'm interested in finding general guidance on impedance concerns when building multiple component systems. It's always been an obscure subject to me. I understand what impedance means in...
Top Bottom