Search results

1. sabristol

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

Hi @amirm. I recently took the time to rewatch your excellent video on Understanding FFT in Audio Measurements. Wishing to put some learning in to practice and just out of curiosity I'm using my somewhat cheaper QA401 to test an old Cambridge Audio DacMagic to see how it compares to this...
  2. sabristol

Measurements of Nakamichi Dragon Cassette Deck

I doubt it was saturated as I adjusted the recording level to get the best response possible.
  3. sabristol

It was the first cassette deck I’d tested and was surprised at the relationship and interaction between recording level, frequency response and distortion.
  4. sabristol

Usual problem is belts. Hope your parents didn’t ditch it as serviced it would have easily fetch >£180.
  5. sabristol

When I recently repaired and serviced a three head Sony TC-K611S cassette deck I kept a few measurements. L/R Phase is set by adjusting head azimuth. This is what the manual says is in spec (btw the Rigol MSO5000 scope does fuzzy XY). If the azimuth is out then L and R will not be in phase. I...
  6. sabristol

What is on your workbench right now?

Just finished servicing this two channel beauty. Impressive power curve once I’d blown the crumbs out:
  7. sabristol

Phew not a pop-rivet, it's some sort of Allen headed self tapper..... Pretty tight, it twisted the legs of the regulator.
  8. sabristol

No, the ZTX653/753 are clipped on separate strips of heatsink - can be seen in the pic above and below the main reservoir caps. There are 9 transistors mounted so I presume in addition to the drivers, one is the bias spreader and the other the VAS. From what I can see there doesn't appear to...
  9. sabristol

You're right @restorer-john piddly arsed heatsink. However on closer inspection it looks the aluminium flag heatsinks are actually screwed in with some sort of self-tapper / captive nut arrangement - I'll have a better look once I've got the pcb out. On a positive note, they have segregated...
  10. sabristol

Next project... service this Linn Intek amp that I've owned from new since ~1990. Nicely made kit. All Rubycon caps. It has a slight power on thump on the left channel and higher measured DC offset on that channel (15.4mV vs. 1.9mV).
  11. sabristol

What setup do you use to measure speaker response?
  12. sabristol

@LTig Thats a good call as it would be easy to design replacement phono boards as the current pair are vertically mounted daughter boards. I'll have a listen to see how it sounds before deciding if it's worth the effort as I don't intend to keep it.
  13. sabristol

On the bench.... just about finished the repair and refurbishment of a 1980 NAD 3030 "New Acoustic Dimension Stereophonic Amplifier" (!) . Main problem was the 2N3055/MJ2955 output transistors as distortion in the right channel prematurely increased with power output, albeit within OEM spec...
  14. sabristol

On the bench right now is a 1979 Rotel RX-300 receiver. Classic problem: blown rectifier diode due to faulty electrolytic(s). Got it working and halfway through a recap this afternoon. Sounds ok. I'll give it an alignment next, even though the FM receiver seems sensitive enough as is. I've...
  15. sabristol

DIY 250W/4ohm amplifier based on "blameless" topology, and measurements

@pma have you experimented with bias currents to see the effect this has?
  16. sabristol

Mrs B trying her hand at soldering 1206 and 0805 SMT....
  17. sabristol

Recapped and re-aligned a Luxman T-88v tuner to go rather nicely with my L-85v:
  18. sabristol

Luxman L-85v Integrated Amplifier

Wow thanks for that John. I think it's about time I retired - I could get lost in there for hours.
  19. sabristol

Seem to be in the range UK £130 - £150.
  20. sabristol

Just finishing a Luxman L-190 Cleaned, repaired, re-biased, plus full Nichicon recap: And then carried out some testing: Frequency response is in OEM spec (Aux in) :) Whereas the phono stage......seems a little on the warm side. Rated power and THD are within factory spec :) More...
Top Bottom