Search results

1. Belker

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Wow, I totally forgot about that test! No I don’t have the files, I think. They were very big DSD files. But anybody can do this. Just download the trial version of HQPlayer Professional. It lets you do off-line conversion with the same features as the desktop “consumer” HQPlayer. The only...
  2. Belker

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

You could argue that the step from rev1 to rev 2 was obvious and beneficial to the customer because of the new and improved remote, though a new model name would have been reasonable. But going from rev2 (AKM) to rev3 (ESS) is changing functionality (to the worse for me). This is not an internal...
  3. Belker

what are your industrial design favorites?

Only, Skottland is not part of Scandinavia.
  4. Belker

Good! It may work, but John Yang has expressly said on this forum, that he won’t put any effort supporting it, since it is not part of the original DSD spec.
  5. Belker

Yes, I’m referring to the AKM implementation. They are ramping up production now with successors, so let’s see what they can do. Whether these HQPlayer tricks are audible or not is of course an interesting question. I haven’t seen any controlled tests. But let’s not derail this thread with that…
  6. Belker

DSD is better than PCM!

Ok. So there is nothing to the HQPlayer way?
  7. Belker

DSD is better than PCM!

Isn’t this what HQPlayer is doing? Since delta sigma dac chips always creates a DSD stream from PCM internally, a high performance PC can do the job with better precision. Feeding this 256 or more DSD stream to a DAC that lets you bypass the asic dsp will give benefits. This feature is available...
  8. Belker

Yes, but I was referring to the fact that ESS don’t allow direct DSD bypass. AKM do. Also, Topping seems reluctant to support 48k base DSD. On top of that we have the anomalies shown here.
  9. Belker

ESS i general, and specifically Topping, seems to be a bad match with HQPlayer/DSD.
  10. Belker

You don’t care to read, but still feel the urge to comment? And doing so, bringing two totally unrelated products into the mix.
  11. Belker

Song that exposes - CD, SACD, Apple Music, Amazon HD - sound quality differences

It would be nice if you guys claiming there is a difference, would dowload/rip the tracks and do a proper DeltaWave null analysis, instead of referring to what it sounds like. I haven’t checked Apple myself, but Qobuz and Tidal are the same, given that the master/versions are the same.
  12. Belker

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

That’s great. Not sure I will pay extra for that, though. Spotify’s algos are second to none, so I use it to find new music, but it will probably never integrate with my Roon anytime soon.
  13. Belker

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Sure! No, I didn’t do any blind testing, since the purpose of my test was to compare lossless Redbook delivery from some services available to me. Are they tampering with EQ, levels, compression or something? People had (still have?) strong opinions on which service sounds better… “use your...
  14. Belker

Song that exposes - CD, SACD, Apple Music, Amazon HD - sound quality differences

Different masters can of course be more or less…different, but if you look at the graphs in my post #66, I’d say it’s quite possible to hear a difference on these. Either on tonal balance or level.
  15. Belker

If Apple are truly manipulating the source/stream, it’s probably the most bizarre thing I’ve heard this (new)year! Ok if they did something at the client to compensate for playback device properties.
  16. Belker

As I wrote in the translated text above, I tried to find out if the player app did some funky stuff to the stream. I only tested this trough iPhone, where there was nothing indicating any DSP trickery happening. I didn’t test how PC clients behave. I use Roon, so for me it was case closed just...
  17. Belker

I published this in some Swedish foras, but I made a quick Google translate: A lot has happened on the streaming front lately. Qobuz has officially launched here in Sweden, Tidal has been beaten due to "MQA-gate" and Spotify has started test delivery of lossless. Many posts have dropped in here...
  18. Belker

About a year ago I tested a lot of files from Tidal, Spotify (i had CD-quality for a while in some sort of test they did), Qobuz and Deezer (digital direct downloads) . I compared these files with each other using DeltaWave and, where possible, with my own CD rips. Not once did I get anything...
  19. Belker

This is a great recording, but you are comparing different masterings. The HD is clearly different from the Redbook, that is why you hear differences. I have three copies available. 44/16, 88/24 and 176/24. They are all different.
Top Bottom