Search results

1. Long Audio Beard

Revel C208 Review (Center Speaker)

typical use case would be home theater and I would just add that most center channel speakers are designed to carry dialog and voices so vocals would likely be good too "clear, open and tonally correct" is good to read and I enjoyed the listening test section of your review the most, even if...
  2. Long Audio Beard

Schiit Jotunheim 2 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

You previously wrote: "A factor remains that my hearing acuity for distortion/small detail is well above average due to extensive training." (June 24, 2020) Ok, I take you at your word on that. In your listening test for this product you said it sounded fine. You did not write that at...
  3. Long Audio Beard

Lol, anyone can snark. Science? Ok well admit we have no measurements and sometimes no means to readily isolate the filtering going on with different DACs and measure how they may be impacting actual fidelity or frequency response or timing with context that is meaningful, or admit if a person...
  4. Long Audio Beard

Here are the amps chosen by blind AB random selection: Pyle 1000 Watt Hi-Fi AV Receiver Amplifier Cambridge Audio AXA35 Integrated Amplifier Naim Uniti Star Network Streamer, DAC & Amplifier Marantz PM-10 Reference Integrated Amplifier Reisong A10 Tube Amplifier
  5. Long Audio Beard

Music Choices to Test your DAC and overall system

Thought it might be helpful and fun to discuss music you like to use when testing DACs and testing other components and your overall system. I'll start it off: pop: "Rio" on album "Rio" by Duran Duran There is a rapid almost random analog synth running throughout the track, kind of a...
  6. Long Audio Beard

I agree that's the trouble, we have specs and measurements that are more or less objective but may not tell you all you need to know, and you can't always trust subjective reviews! To experiment for those interested, I would try to get the least costly DAC you can afford that uses a different...
  7. Long Audio Beard

not sure what you mean, many people that have compared like some of the multibit/R2R designs over even amazing DS units, and depending on choice of music the differences have not been terribly subtle IMO, when music you've heard for years and have played through numerous DACs suddenly sounds...
  8. Long Audio Beard

Lol, Schitt did put out the "Heresy" unit (forgot what it is at the moment, a headphone amp w/o a discrete output stage maybe?) so I am sure they are thinking about all this kind of stuff when they are designing and planning
  9. Long Audio Beard

yes this is accurate IMO, noise shaping is different in Multibit/R2R vs DS and some believe less noise shaping is more accurate to the performance that was recorded but along same lines, very different filtering is often deployed between the 2 topologies and can sometimes have a big impact...
  10. Long Audio Beard

I have had a lot of the same experiences as you, and along those lines I recently dusted off an old cassette tape I hadn't heard in maybe 25-30 years but my tape players are all wildly out of spec so I picked up a very cheap new portable cassette player at a local store (no noise reduction...
  11. Long Audio Beard

tell us more about your experience with your old Sony TDA for example, I would be interested, some of the early DACs in CD players were great and some were not, you bring up a good example of a different sounding DAC, I've built outboard DACs using R2R sections from older CD players and have had...
  12. Long Audio Beard

no quarrel with your testing methods at all, just wanted to note that there are various filters at play in various DACs especially where the filtering is more bespoke whether through analog electronics or DSP programming (a lot of which is proprietary), with analog filtering we can readily...
  13. Long Audio Beard

I didn't mean to criticize any of our measurements or standards, just that we have standard measurements and probably more measurements will be developed, the state of the art is a moving target, in my own testing some, not all, DACs are better at reproducing voices and there is less of a sense...
  14. Long Audio Beard

wow, I guess someone does not like multibit and R2R DACs and can't fathom why anyone else would, enjoy your DACs, and to answer your question: yes and yes, and perhaps you should audition some different DACs with music you know very well and see for yourself
  15. Long Audio Beard

the standard measurements we use are actually pretty basic and don't represent all the sound qualities exhibited by equipment designed to play music, there is a false assumption that some have about any (or all) DACs, that they are perfectly replaying the music from a digital recording, very few...
  16. Long Audio Beard

I can tell you my experience in their other products that are MB, I find they are very different sounding and different from most DS designs from other makers as well. If you listen to music with vocals it is very easy to tell the difference. Also certain instruments and a tones with a strong...
  17. Long Audio Beard

I don't personally have a bias towards any particular maker or DAC implementation and certainly didn't expect some of the comparatively lower cost multibit and R2R DACs to compare at all, but when I started listening it was pretty obvious, when you hear a voice that goes from sounding recorded...
  18. Long Audio Beard

The Ares II is actually over $1000 You do have to hear it to know what is going on with it, it does present a very lifelike playback compared to a lot of other DACs, it's not snake oil and the difference is quite noticeable. Everyone is entitled to their opinions
  19. Long Audio Beard

Lol not all yet but I will! I take it you are not a fan of MB or R2R DACs, I wasn't either, but I heard some that changed my mind, but I am still open to new ideas. I don't think DS is necessarily better and I like the filter programming developed by Chord in particular. Digital filters has...
  20. Long Audio Beard

I can overdrive all my headphones into distortion, with all my headphone amps, at loud volume, louder than I would want to listen. So perhaps some more info can be provided in that regard as otherwise the review makes this unit sound like it can not maintain clean amplification at a certain...
Top Bottom