Search results

1. D

High-resolution Speaker Frequency Response & Distortion Measurements and Why We Need Them (video)

I think you hit the nail on the head. Precision measurements haven't mattered for decades because for many units THD + N has been inaudible for decades, which is why I referred to the 33/303, a landmark product that outperformed the standard test equipment of the time. I personally used 140w...
  2. D

High-resolution Speaker Frequency Response & Distortion Measurements and Why We Need Them (video)

I also can watch hours of YouTube clips on my laptop of performances I've seen and get very emotional. I've completely forgotten some shows after a week, but others remain strong in the memory more than 40 years later. I was reminded recently that I went to Miles Davis' last concert in Europe...
  3. D

I don't think it is all about frequency range and going to 27Hz. There are pieces of music, for example Mahler Symphony No 1 and Shostakovich Symphony No 2 where the sound level and dynamic range of the music, especially in the opening sections, is so extreme that it s very difficult to engineer...
  4. D

Personally, I find all loudspeaker systems incapable of making a worthwhile reproduction of large scale orchestral music. I go to a lot of opera and ballet, but never listen to it at home. We go to some live broadcasts in cinemas with massive sound systems, even those I don't find particularly...
  5. D

Are you suggesting manufacturers don’t test their own products? The basis of reviews (called technical reports way back when) I've read over 40+ years were that manufacturers publish their specifications and the reviewer checks them. Attached is part of a review from 1968 of Quad’s first solid...
  6. D

There is a Klippel customer list, but Amir insists that the users of NFS are not disclosed, even though some describe using it. Klippel describe it as a tool to dramatically speed up the design process, but PMC for one use Klippel products and do final testing in anechoic chambers. Loads of...
  7. D

Having owned a pair of ESL63 rebuilt by Quad, they make measurements pointless. They don’t go loud and they don’t go deep, but for classical and jazz they beat anything for pure musical pleasure. They are also big and ugly and my wife forced a sale.
  8. D

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Many thanks or clarifying and that you are not using the Linkplay application. Local fabrication, by hand, and presumably in relatively low quantities, does add cost, but it is great to see a product made in the local market. There are many good audio products made in France, I own a few...
  9. D

Using a module from the same supplier, Linkplay, here's one for $200. Very underpowered. https://www.arylic.com/collections/home-stereo/products/arylic-a50-wifi-bluetooth-multiroom-full-digital-hifi-amplifier-with-airplay-dlna-multiroom-control None of them have Roon or voice control, and mine...
  10. D

Should more emphasis be given to speaker (& driver) size in reviews + what is the ethos of this site?

In my experience I would agree. Two years ago I went from a 2-way speaker with 8” mid-bass to a 3-way with 8” bass. Both are highly regarded speakers with long term pedigree and measure well. I am no bass junkie, but the 2-way unit really needed a subwoofer. The 3-way unit is fine on its own...
  11. D

My ceiling units are operating wirelessly at 24/192, dozens at a time in sealed steel units the size of your fist packed in tight with loads of electronics and an amplifer, also broadcasting to each other. It's not a problem. Some initial wifi problems were fixed with software updates, it not...
  12. D

I have both, big speakers in one room and multiple speakers in that room and most other rooms. There are 6 ceiling speakers in the main music room, designed for audio, and I'm listening to them now, in preference to a pair of Wilson floorstanders. I love the Wilsons (always have liked their...
  13. D

I always enjoy upgrades, especially if they are free. None of my audio systems were Roon Ready when I bought them, but they are all now, thanks to free software upgrades. They have transformed how I listen to music and didn't cost me a cent. My main player is modular, so can can have partial...
  14. D

It's interesting reading your comments because they are full of the prejudices I had before hearing the unit. How can it be good if so small and so cheap? At the time I had a pair of Raidho speakers that cost a fortune (bought used) with a 4" driver that barely gets down to 80Hz (use the Raidho...
  15. D

I thought cheap is good? And it’s a seriously good speaker. You may not like home automation, but lots of people do. Everyone is doing it, for example LG ThinQ connects just about everything they make. Ring is utterly brilliant and basically put the traditional home security industry out of...
  16. D

What plug-and-play Roon Ready streamer costs $250? In the UK, a Bluesound Node 2i (£550), Topping D90SE (£900) and LA90 amplifier (£800) costs more (£2250) than the Naim Uniti Atom (£2000) and you get a load of boxes and wires and no voice control. The main indicator of poor resolution is the...
  17. D

We don’t use Alexa to buy stuff, so it never volunteers to suggest. It only speaks when spoken to. Like any child, it is only as good as the amount you train it.
  18. D

Actually it shows how the functionality of Uniti Atom can be put in a very small unit with a 75w amplifier. It also has lighting and a very good 3.5" speaker, and it costs under $500, whereas the Atom is $3,000. The class leading syncronisation speed means it works wirelessly in large groups...
  19. D

Zuma. I think currently only available in the UK and Denmark (soft launched), completely wireless, powered from a 24v transformer, software includes Roon Ready, uPnp, Tidal, Apple Music, Amazon HD, Spotify Connect, Radio, Airplay2, Bluetooth, Alexa, their own app for grouping and zoning and lots...
  20. D

A decade or more ago some of the hardware was a bit poor. For me the main improvement is improvement in the power supply and maintaining a low noise environment. I had to rewire my house, so the audio now has a dedicated supply (25 feet of shielded 10AWG cable). I also put in fibre optic...
Top Bottom