Search results

1. solderdude

Making thick RCA cables

Car audio has high power yet low voltage (12V) so requires large amounts of current. A 2x 100W amp can easily draw 20-25Amps. This requires thick wiring. For 12V it would be best to use black/red wires for power but the cable you have (when marked for polarity) would be well suited.
  2. solderdude

Making thick RCA cables

O.K. for speaker wire and in car audio (when the cable has one wire marked in some way)
  3. solderdude

Making thick RCA cables

To make an RCA cable the center pin must be connected to the center pin of the other plug AND the shield must be connected to the other shield. You cannot omit the shield connection. Why do you want to use speaker cable as interlink ? Using thicker wire only has downsides for interlinks and no...
  4. solderdude

Making thick RCA cables

The not used wire MUST be connected on both sides to the RCA shield. The RCA shield is an important aspect in RCA cables. Then it will work just fine. This cable is not suited for interlinks nor will it perform better in any way than your average shielded cable wire. Use the wire for speakers...
  5. solderdude

Making thick RCA cables

Did you solder the other wire on both sides to the shield, if only from the outside of the connector ? If not that explains everything. Consider speaker wire is not shielded and not suited as an interlink anyway. It could be used for balanced lines (if you can fit it in XLR connectors)...
  6. solderdude

What does ‘Precision’ moniker on some Accuphase products mean

Why not keep using the e4000 till it breaks or starts giving problems and then buy the newest and greatest device that will have better specs, is more up to date ?
  7. solderdude

Reliability and build quality of Chinese Vs. Western Amps and DACs? Can you reliably get 15+ years out of a Topping Stack? Or SMSL? Singxer?

When the price and performance is similar then they, very likely, are about equally reliable. PCB quality and parts will be similar in quality. China can produce cheaper but import/shipping adds to the price. Every manufacturer can buy a batch of poor quality parts (most of them are Eastern...
  8. solderdude

What does ‘Precision’ moniker on some Accuphase products mean

Sales talk for inconsequential small differences so they can sell a product for a higher price.
  9. solderdude

Is there a way I can ACCURATELY measure how loud my music is, to protect my hearing, WITHOUT needing to buy expensive test equipment?

When you know the gain of your amplifier, know the output voltage of your DAC, have a PC that has a volume control that has digital volume control in dB, and know the sensitivity of your headphone (manufacturers data is often wrong or only gives efficiency numbers) you can calculate the peak...
  10. solderdude

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

Depends on how loud one usually plays their music and how much low bass you want. I can play my HD800 pretty loud without any signs of 'rougher' sound but admit I am not a Harman bass level fan and prefer a few dB less bass boost and on top of that usually only listen at low levels or moderately...
  11. solderdude

They are both comfortable but feel completely different on the head. When you live in a warmer climate the HD800(S) would probably be the best choice. Not all people are equally charmed by the large pads and loose fit of the HD800, others love it. Returned my HD490Pro, still own the HD800 if...
  12. solderdude

Trying to find the best DAC+Amp combo for the HD800s, under $900. Was originally leaning towards Schiit products, but they don't seem to review well.

The original L30 had an issue. This was solved and owners could get a free replacement. The new models with the 'potted' circuits indeed had some issues. When you mean SBAF with different sites (and by extension Head-fi) then you should realize they are biased fan boys that hate everything that...
  13. solderdude

The weird part here is that Amir measured a level difference with producer pads (which remained not investigated) If it were positional issues then it would likely not affect the entire frequency range but rather what is shown in the plot above. When it is a seal issue I would expect only the...
  14. solderdude

Trying to find the best DAC+Amp combo for the HD800s, under $900. Was originally leaning towards Schiit products, but they don't seem to review well.

That would be the main reason to use balanced out from an USB DAC. Schiit and the Chinese offerings are about equal in build quality and possibly lifespan too. A nice RK27 volume control + good ergonomics + DC output protection + connectivity is a positive thing. 15dB subbass boost is quite a...
  15. solderdude

The Asgard has the option to add an internal DAC in which case you don't need the Modius unless you want the tone control in there and don't want to do that digitally. Tone control (or digital EQ) is far more sound quality determining than the technical differences between amps/DACs themselves...
  16. solderdude

It depends on how you read the quote above. The only error Amir makes is what I bolded. What I got from Amir's reply is that low impedance and high sensitivity do not require powerful amps. (easy to drive) Higher impedance headphones usually are lower sensitivity and require a higher drive...
  17. solderdude

There is just confusion about the impedance peak, efficiency and sensitivity as well as loudness and some misconceptions about current and voltage limits and the usage of the word 'power'. What Amir meant with 'most power is the lows' had nothing to do with Ohm's law but was about the amplitude...
  18. solderdude

Perhaps add that a voltage drive amp turns a bit more towards acting like a current drive amp when the output resistance is increased. Some (AV)Receivers and integrated amps with headphone out derived from the speaker output can have high output impedances ranging from 50 to 300ohm ! For...
  19. solderdude

Sinad Chart

You get more information from FR, distortion, output level(power), noise level, overload behavior, crosstalk, volume control balance numbers etc. The SINAD number, at that point, does not add any info other than a comparative single number taken at a single level with only a 1kHz stimulus...
Top Bottom