Search results

1. Ro808

Lexicon DD8 Review (Multichannel Amplifier)

Indeed, which likely contributes to the perceived 'slow/sloppy' bass at higher output levels. The woofers in my bigger 2 way system are 102 dB and don't drop below 5 ohm, so the CT 8150 is basically overkill > due to the high efficiency/easy load. This might improve performance (slightly)...
  2. Ro808

Technically, it's the lack of current the amplifier is able to maintain (load regulation). As Atkinson states: "The speaker's impedance plot (fig.1) reveals it still to be quite a demanding load, however, with a magnitude that drops to 2.5 ohms at 104Hz". Here's a more in depth explanation.
  3. Ro808

Quite remarkable that you've "upgraded from the Purifi 1ET400A to the CT8150 and 4150";) While not exactly ideal, the impedance drop at 100 Hz should't cause problems in normal use (i.e. not THX Reference Level).
  4. Ro808

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

The impedance of the Magnepan 1.7 drops below 2 ohms above 10 Khz, which can be 'problematic'. This may also be the case for the 1.7i.
  5. Ro808

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

And SINAD equals sound quality... :facepalm: There is no definitive explanation of the constituents of sound quality. Definitions of sound quality include examples such as: “Sound Quality is a perceptual reaction to the sound of a product that reflects the listener’s reaction to how...
  6. Ro808

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

You won't get many thumbs up, while - or precisely because, this quote touches on the essence of (digital) audio reproduction.
  7. Ro808

This guy sure loves Audio Note!

It's quite remarkable that a thread like this evokes reactions on this "science oriented" forum. Although I'm familiar with audio science, I feel no need to preach to those "blinded by science". Fortunately, experienced professionals also post here who know what really matters and what...
  8. Ro808

This guy sure loves Audio Note!

Haven't watched the video myself, as I avoid most of the audiophool blurb. However, you'd better get acquainted with the more philosophical thoughts of people like Niels Bohr and Max Planck. Just don't confuse "reading" with "knowing". In any case, during the early days of this forum, amirm...
  9. Ro808

The tweeter is the most critical part...

It's all implementation, including the signature of specific materials. For those who don't agree, buy Magico.
  10. Ro808

Geshelli JNOG2 Review (Balanced DAC)

They don't need to, because the majority of 'western' brand loudspeaker(parts) are produced in China.
  11. Ro808

AIYIMA A05 Review (Budget Amplifier)

This might be a better option.
  12. Ro808

Topping D10s Owner Measurements/Quick Review

Yes, it's the output buffer. Assuming you know what you're doing and what to aim for, then the LT (family) seems worth experimenting with. "LT1355, LT1358, LT1361, LT1364 - a family of op amps with high (LT1355 and LT1358) and very high (LT1361 and LT1364) slew rates (from 12 MHz and 400 V/µs...
  13. Ro808

Topping D10s Owner Measurements/Quick Review

Keep it simple. Swap the LME47920NA with an OPA 1656, then all op amps are identical (I/V Conversion and Output Buffer) and of the highest quality. Moreover, the 1656 is the recommended substitute by JohnYang1997. The OPA 1656 must of course be soldered to a SOIC - DIP adapter. Fwiw...
  14. Ro808

Ashly NE8250 Review (Pro 8-channel Amp)

Amir has put the 'home cinema brother' of the CT8150, the Lexicon DD-8, to the test. Last year I scored a CT8150 that spent its first life in a funeral home, for €150. Despite the disappointing THD+N at higher frequencies, at least as measured with the DD-8, I am positively surprised by the...
  15. Ro808

ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review

Someone may have already noticed this, but the ticking could be coming from the passive radiator. Did you happen to measure distortion at and above 100dB@1m? Yes, I know this is loud, but peaks at such levels are not uncommon in an elongated (home cinema) room or during a party.
  16. Ro808

I cannot trust the Harman speaker preference score

Average Joe will be guided by all kinds of personal preferences when buying new speakers, in accordance with Floyd Toole's (main) argument. However, the chance that Harman's preference score appears on his on his wish list is nil.
  17. Ro808

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Earlier this year I sent an email to Topping asking if they might also have balanced (power) amplifiers in the pipeline. They replied that this was indeed the case. The result was well worth the wait as it turns out. It's a confirmation that implementation matters. The noise levels are a...
  18. Ro808

Horns - Necessary to complete the Audiophile Journey?

Not exactly competitive, as this is not a commercial product. Besides, the 511 and 811 have long been out of production. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the Altec & Western Electric legacy. Nor do I belong to the category that believes that (all) modern equivalent products are better...
Top Bottom